Wonderland review by McFly

• Released: Aug 29, 2005
McFly: Wonderland

When everyone first saw McFly they thought, "Oh no, another annoying Busted," well, that's what I thought too, and instantly I was biased. Then I heard '5 Colours In Her Hair', cheesy, yes, but the great '50s style guitar riff changed my mind. Then 'Obviously' come out, and I heard immature lyrics, but good chords progressions and melodies, so I bought the album. Room On The Third Floor converted me to a Mcfly fan which I am a little bit ashamed of as they are not the normal band I would listen to. This brings us to Wonderland. Take 'I'll Be OK': Not a bad song, nice catchy melodies. The way it changes key a lot at the chorus is pretty genius, but I started to realise this in a lot of McFly songs. For me, the songs that stand out are defiently stand out are: 'I'll Be Ok', Ultraviolet', The Ballad Of Paul K', 'I Wanna Hold You', 'Too Close For Comfort', 'All About You' and 'She Falls Asleep'. I've almost named the whole album, but that's not sayin the others are bad, 'Nothing' is a good song for time signature which Harry Judd coped with well. I think Tom Fletcher is a genius, and this is shown on 'The Ballad of Paul K', which the stange chords he uses that don't fit into the key and pulling this off with a great melody and also 'She Falls Asleep part 1', this arrangment is defiently not what would come from a noraml pop band. The middle 8 in 'Too Close For Comfort' is also genius. I think they are an excellent and creative band and will go far.

The lyrics have defiently improved from the last album. If you listen to 'Unsaid Things', crap lyrics like 'Now she's got pregnaunt with her baby, geels like she's slipping away from me', and compare them to 'Too Close for Comfort' 'All this time you've been telling me lies, hidden in bags that are under your eyes'. But some of the songs' lyrics are still pretty bad, but the music makes up for it.

I think they have definitly improved and I can't wait to see how they advance musically in the next album. They remind me of how The Beatles albums get better as they progress in time, hopefully this wil happen to McFly.