Wonderland review by McFly

• Released: Aug 29, 2005
McFly: Wonderland

McFly have a really mature sound coming from their sophomore album, 'Wonderland'. It's very different from their debut album. I like 'Wonderland' better than 'Room On The Third Floor'. Their last album was pop/surfish and was appealing to all the young audiences. 'Wonderland' can appeal to the mature audiences. There are some orchestra in some of the songs such as, "Memory Lane", "All About You", "I Wanna Hold You", and "She Falls Asleep (Pts 1 & 2)". There are two songs that sound Christmas-y; they're the "Ballad Of Paul K" and "All About You". McFly definitely knows how to create some catchy tunes that can make you sing along with it at will. "I've Got You" is very simple and "I'll Be OK" is a great way to start off the album.

McFly took some time to write their songs. The lyrics to the "Ballad Of Paul K" are great. It's about a man in a mid-life crisis (Why life is getting him down/He used to smile now he frowns). On this album, there aren't songs that deal with losing a girl and being down like on the last album. Some of their songs deal with real-life problems, such as suicide (She Falls Asleep Pt. 2), and a mid-life crisis (Ballad of Paul K). Although "She Falls Asleep" sounds almost Disney-like.

This is one of my favorite albums to date because it has melodic basslines, great guitar work, and their ability to captivate the listener with their tunes. I definitely recommend this album to anyone who likes catchy tunes. All their songs are great, but "Too Close For Comfort" and "She Falls Asleep Pt 2" aren't too appealing to me. My favorites are "I Wanna Hold You," "I'll Be OK," "I've Got You," and "Ballad Of Paul K." I recommend listening to those. And just listen to the verse basslines in "Memory Lane," it's very melodic. It's a must-listen for a music-lover.

FeelinLuckyPUNK
    why is mcfly on here? lol
    DUMBASS! Its a guitar website, McFLY play guitar you know? Just cos its pop music doesnt mean they cannot play.
    RockDude 44
    I went to one of their first gig and it was awsome cos it was my first gig problem is my gramp likes them cos of their beatle-ish sound
    unitejeff
    dude mcfly is pretty good...both of the guitarists played guitar since a very young age...well theres a different sound with this band..but a change is good! ..i like them =)
    livia91
    oi if i lived in the uk im pretty sure i would be like wtf are they here for, but a long with thier 'boy band image' thier music pretty decent
    punkrox101
    they may be considered a boy band, but at least they play their own instruments and write their own songs. AND they write catchy lyrics and good riffs.