Wonderland Review

McFly: Wonderland
Released: Aug 29, 2005
Label: MCA
Genre: Rock
Wonderland is a commendable second album for McFly and although in parts cringing, in others is pretty damn good.
 Lyrics: 8.4
 8.7
 8.8
 8.6
Wonderland Reviewed by: vhhendrixcrazy, on april 14, 2006

Sound: McFly have a really mature sound coming from their sophomore album, 'Wonderland'. It's very different from their debut album. I like 'Wonderland' better than 'Room On The Third Floor'. Their last album was pop/surfish and was appealing to all the young audiences. 'Wonderland' can appeal to the mature audiences. There are some orchestra in some of the songs such as, "Memory Lane", "All About You", "I Wanna Hold You", and "She Falls Asleep (Pts 1 & 2)". There are two songs that sound Christmas-y; they're the "Ballad Of Paul K" and "All About You". McFly definitely knows how to create some catchy tunes that can make you sing along with it at will. "I've Got You" is very simple and "I'll Be OK" is a great way to start off the album. // 10

Lyrics: McFly took some time to write their songs. The lyrics to the "Ballad Of Paul K" are great. It's about a man in a mid-life crisis (Why life is getting him down/He used to smile now he frowns). On this album, there aren't songs that deal with losing a girl and being down like on the last album. Some of their songs deal with real-life problems, such as suicide (She Falls Asleep Pt. 2), and a mid-life crisis (Ballad of Paul K). Although "She Falls Asleep" sounds almost Disney-like. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums to date because it has melodic basslines, great guitar work, and their ability to captivate the listener with their tunes. I definitely recommend this album to anyone who likes catchy tunes. All their songs are great, but "Too Close For Comfort" and "She Falls Asleep Pt 2" aren't too appealing to me. My favorites are "I Wanna Hold You," "I'll Be OK," "I've Got You," and "Ballad Of Paul K." I recommend listening to those. And just listen to the verse basslines in "Memory Lane," it's very melodic. It's a must-listen for a music-lover. // 10

Wonderland Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2005

Sound: Their overall sound as a band has moved on from the early days of "Room On The Third Floor." I thought that was a good album but compared to this it is childish. There are some songs on this album which could have been on the last one. These are nothing and I've got you. They've used many different influences in this album. In Ultraviolet there is a sitar, In all about you and she falls asleep there is an 80 piece orchestra and in I wanna hold you it sounds like a cross between girls aloud and new orleans blues. Strange combination but it works. They have managed to develop a good sound in this album and I would now compare them to The Beach Boys not Busted soundwise. // 8

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics are slightly unfitting to the music i.e. in Don't Know Why: "Hate the sound of one more pound/As it rolls away." Though through the songs on this album, they manage to approach the issues of suicide, alchoholism and being to proud to go and get your pension, with surprising amounts of care and compasion, instead of just singing about summer frolics with surfer girls and girls with 5 Colours In Their Hair. Tom sings the majority of the lyrics on the album but Danny sings don't know why as it was written by him and his sister. I think Dougie is the hidden gem of the band because when he sings in too close for comfort (even if it is only 4 lines). He doesn't sing much but on the McFly website you can download a version of I'll be ok with Dougie singing Tom's part. I think it's better as he has a softer voice than Tom. // 6

Overall Impression: It is comparable to Busted because there both young male instrumental bands but I prefer this. They have used lots of different influences and I feel they have come together well. There are the low points like Nothing and I've Got You but these are just songs that belong moreso in the last album. My favourite songs are She Falls Asleep Part 2 and The Ballad Of Paul K. I love McFly so I have got a biased opinion. Musically they have improved alot since the last album. I don't hate anything but I don't really like Tom's voice that much compared to Danny and Dougie which is a shame because he steals the spotlight. I'd deffinatly buy it again if it got stolen but I doubt it would. Can't really see a burglar purposefully stealing a McFly CD not exactly a big earner. // 6

Wonderland Reviewed by: littlesteph05, on october 28, 2005

Sound: Wow totally different sound from their first album. Each song has a great inro, it kinda gives a false meaning to the song, it sounds happy but as it gets into each song you relise it's not. This ablum has more meaning behind it, each song could mean something different could link up to make one hudge hidden message. This album seems to be alot more about broken hearts, any McFly fan woulld love this album. It's a whole new side to McFly. Going from as something poppy like "5 colours in her hair", to some more up beat like "I Wanna Hold You", is a big jump in music style. not only have they mangered to get a few number 1's but also a world record with their first album, oridanly set by The Beatles. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics have really been thought about, it's the type of lyrics that get you thinking that not everyones' life is as good as ours. These boys go one step further with lyric writing, they seem to be more about question and answer. With some of the lyrics the veries seem to be sad and depressing but you get to the chorus and then the boys look on to the brighter side of things, a good example of these would be " I've Got You." It's not just the lyrics on it's own that gets you thinking, it's the way McFly sing the songs and the style of their music. One song on the album that would really get you thinking about your parnter would have to be "She Falls Asleep" as the lyrica for this song is to do more with reality then any other song on the album. // 5

Overall Impression: Trying compare McFly's first album with this one isn't to hard, both albums have a completely different sound. What makes this album so great in my eyes is the fact it really gets me thinking about life and everything in it. The bests songs on the ablum would have to be "She Falls Asleep" as it a song everyone can relate to, "Too Close For Comfort" this one makes me think about love life and how it so closey resembles anyones love life. I love the whole album all the songs sound different, which is great on an album. If I had to dislike anything about this album it would probley be the long introduction for "She Falls Asleep." This defently be one of the albums I'll go out and buy again if I had lost it, or got it stolen, it's a fanstic ablum it's one thats defently worth buying. // 5

Wonderland Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 07, 2005

Sound: McFly's very much anticipated second album. The sound has been very evidently well thought out, with a distinctive move from a more guitar-pop seen in Room On The 3rd Floor to a more pop-punk-rock that we are familiar with many bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, and the late Busted. However McFly do have that edge over other bands. With catchy riffs and guitar solos that McFly have trademarked, their songs are a very modern-day Beach Boys or Beatles classification of genre that keeps our toes tapping although it is heavier on the electric guitar than in their first album. In the first album, we saw a pretty much repetitive use of simple chords that showed no difference between their album tracks. However in Wonderland, we see a vast difference in tracks from a slow orchestral 'She Falls Asleep' to the more catchy-and-toe-tapping 'I wanna hold you'. In Sound, McFly would be able to reel in a lot more fans with the rock influences in mainstream music, and also keep in tact their pop fans. Personally, I find their sound quite original which proves to sell in the market. The only thing this album lacks is the young fresh energy that McFly radiated in the first album, but other than that it proves to be a hit in stores. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are much obviously better than in the first album. Comparably, McFly have moved on from teenage problems like frustration in love, loss, relationships to a more mature writing. This album just shows that McFly have the lyrical talent to write about anything from songs like 'The Ballad Of Paul K' about dads suffering from midlife crisis and 'Too Close For Comfort' where we have the lyrics "All this time you've been telling me lies, hidden in bags that are under your eyes". McFly have improved tremendously and this album shows their compatiblity with a more serious spark that were lacking in their young-at-heart first album. The lyrics go well with the music in songs like 'I wanna hold you' where we feel the frustration of being away from someone we love and in 'The Ballad Of Paul K' where Tom Fletcher's vocals helped us sink into the low mood the song was trying to portray and Danny Jones' vocals were spot on in Middle 8's where his rather low vocals help to hit the climax of the song. This album showcases a bit more of Dougie Poynter's vocals which were very well suited in certain songs so as not to bore fans with the more-than-commonly-heard vocals of Fletcher and Jones. Lyrically, this album is tremendous for a bunch of young lads in the music industry and a definite big jump from their younger days in Room On The Third Floor. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is a big pat on the back for the lads in McFly. They have grown older since their first album, and their improvements from past-experiences shows with better playing, better sound, better vocals, better lyrics and a more variety of emotions in their playing. I think all the songs in this album deserves to be heard, but choice cuts would be 'I Wanna Hold You', 'Too Close For Comfort', 'Nothing', 'The Ballad Of Paul K' and 'Ultraviolet'. I hate nothing about this album. It's a good album to listen to regardless of what mood you're in. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy it again because unlike most bands, all tracks in the album are pleasant to the ear whereas some bands come up with good singles but the rest of the tracks in their album are painful and disturbing. If you haven't already heard this album, what are you waiting for? McFly's album is indeed a Wonderland and a wonderful improvement from before. // 10

Wonderland Reviewed by: starscollide, on september 05, 2005

Sound: McFly's debut album Room On The Third Floor was a brilliant first album but it's clear from listening to Wonderland that the lads have grown up a lot since ROTTF. There are brilliant guitar tracks like I've Got You and Too Close For Comfort and I Wanna Hold You (which will be the lads 2nd release from this album) some more acoustic tracks like The Ballad Of Paul K and All About You and great use of orchestras on the epic She Falls Asleep (in two parts, one instrumental and one with vocals). Most songs are written by Tom, Danny and Dougie or Tom and Danny. Harry cowrites on one track and unlike the 1st album where he wrote many songs with the boys, James Bourne has only cowritten one track on Wonderland. The sound is very impressive and alot more varied than some of their earlier songs, McFly have advanced in their songwriting and playing and are back better than ever. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in these songs are much more serious in places than on the debut album. On Room On The Third Floor many songs were about girls and not being able to get them (not that ROTTF wasn't a brilliant album as well) however on Wonderland there are songs about midlife crisis', suicide, love and more. Tom and Dannys voices work brilliantly together and with Dougie joining in on backing vocals (and having small solo parts on Too Close For Comfort and Nothing) the melodies in the songs sound fantastic. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a must buy album for anybody wanting to hear more of McFly. It's an album packed full of surprises and some of the best songs of 2005. She Falls Asleep is absolutely epic and is unlike anything we've ever heard from McFly before. There is not any song on this album I do not love! // 10

Wonderland Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2005

Sound: The bands sound has taken a huge jump forward from the last album. The album is strewn with awesome ochestral work, a piano, tonnes of kicking guitar and even in the rather mysterious 'Ultraviolet' a sitar! It is much more mature and adresses darker issues. There are some fantastic riffs and solos including Jones' (Danny Jones - guitar and vocals) solo in 'I Wanna Hold You' and the riffs in 'Too Close For Comfort'. 'Too Close for Comfort' also has a small part sung by Poynter (Dougie Poynter - bass and backing vocals), he also sings the bridge on the bouncy but sadly themed 'Nothing'. He has some great bass lines, including some fatastic bass in 'Too Close FOr Comfort'. There are a few brighter songs like the previously mentioned 'I Wanna Hold You' and 'I've Got You' (some great drumming especially during the verses from drummer Harry Judd) but even these take a step forward from the last album. 'She Falls Asleep' is a fantastic song with the full orchestra and piano written and sung by Fletcher (Tom Fletcher - guitar and vocals) about a girl who killed herself. A very touching song and fantasticly written by Fletcher on the piano. 'The Ballad of Paul K' is also a great sounding song about Dad's struggling though mid-life and how parents keep a lot of stuff from their children. It's got a great intro and outro and the Middle 8 is really fantastic. McFly include in their list of insperations for this album - Supertramp, Oasis, The Who, Kelly Joe Phelps and film copmposer John Williams (She Falls Asleep). // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are fantastic on this album. Better than the last. My favourites include: 01. I've Got You - "If stars collide will you stand by and watch them fall" (great imagery). 02. The Ballad Of Paul K - "He used to smile now he frowns" (flows so well witht he melody, this whole song has a great honoest to it. Very simple lyrics that make it so much more personal to everyone and easy to relate to). Also from this song the middle 8 "Look at what you've thrown away, they stood beside you all the way." With the riff this really kicks off as a middle 8. 03. She Falls Asleep - "When she's asleep the air she's breathing is for you." This whole song has fantastic imagery and darkness to it, it's generally beautiful. Fletcher's clear, well trained voice, the beautiful orchestral work and solitary piano parts really piece this song together. A really touching song. 04. I Wanna Hold You - fantastic lyrics throughout this song including: "Tell me that you want me baby, tell me that it's true, say the magic words and I'll destroy the world for you. Not before the broken hearted, are marching through the streets, and every cities burning to the ground under your feet." Goes fantasticly well with the song as do the second verse and the brilliant middle 8. The solo is amazing, and the intro really sucks you in, it's awesome. Great song live too. 05. Nothing - "And I can't remember falling in love with you" and "That's why I've forgotten falling in love with you." The bridge sung by bassist Poynter really brings acorss the idea behind the song that the guy is feeling so numb from the relationship that he can't even remember falling love in teh first place. 06. Ultraviolet - "Nothing goes to plan, it's all a game of chance they say in Wonderland." A very mysterious song but a good one. // 10

Overall Impression: Really imressed with this album. McFly are definately heading in teh right direction. It sounds great, lyrically and musically. They have become better song writers and musicians a a credit to them. The most impressive songs on the album would be 'Too Close For Comfort', 'She Falls Asleep', 'The Ballad Of Paul K' and 'Don't Know Why' because each one deals with difficult life, but humble and honest life issues backed up by great melodies, musicianship and som fantastic guitar riffs. 'Ultraviolet' has a great mystery to it while 'I Wanna Hold You' is a fantastic, tap your foot, brilliant, upbeat jazzy number with a kicking solo by Jones. Finally 'All About You' the lovely melody of a charity tune written by Fletcher for his girlfriend and then played on their trip to Uganda for Comic Relief. Of course 'I'll be ok' the first single (except the comic relief tune) from the album went to number one and 'I've got You' kicks with its great riffs, intro, lyrics and drumming by Judd. I love it. I would definately replace it if it were stolen. No question. A fantastic album McFly. I take my hat off to you. Long may you continue to be an example to the next generation of musicians! // 10

Wonderland Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: When everyone first saw McFly they thought, "Oh no, another annoying Busted," well, that's what I thought too, and instantly I was biased. Then I heard '5 Colours In Her Hair', cheesy, yes, but the great '50s style guitar riff changed my mind. Then 'Obviously' come out, and I heard immature lyrics, but good chords progressions and melodies, so I bought the album. Room On The Third Floor converted me to a Mcfly fan which I am a little bit ashamed of as they are not the normal band I would listen to. This brings us to Wonderland. Take 'I'll Be OK': Not a bad song, nice catchy melodies. The way it changes key a lot at the chorus is pretty genius, but I started to realise this in a lot of McFly songs. For me, the songs that stand out are defiently stand out are: 'I'll Be Ok', Ultraviolet', The Ballad Of Paul K', 'I Wanna Hold You', 'Too Close For Comfort', 'All About You' and 'She Falls Asleep'. I've almost named the whole album, but that's not sayin the others are bad, 'Nothing' is a good song for time signature which Harry Judd coped with well. I think Tom Fletcher is a genius, and this is shown on 'The Ballad of Paul K', which the stange chords he uses that don't fit into the key and pulling this off with a great melody and also 'She Falls Asleep part 1', this arrangment is defiently not what would come from a noraml pop band. The middle 8 in 'Too Close For Comfort' is also genius. I think they are an excellent and creative band and will go far. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have defiently improved from the last album. If you listen to 'Unsaid Things', crap lyrics like 'Now she's got pregnaunt with her baby, geels like she's slipping away from me', and compare them to 'Too Close for Comfort' 'All this time you've been telling me lies, hidden in bags that are under your eyes'. But some of the songs' lyrics are still pretty bad, but the music makes up for it. // 6

Overall Impression: I think they have definitly improved and I can't wait to see how they advance musically in the next album. They remind me of how The Beatles albums get better as they progress in time, hopefully this wil happen to McFly. // 10

Wonderland Reviewed by: emzi, on january 05, 2006

Sound: I think the change in style has changed drumatically in the second album! With the first album being all about how to get the girl or you can't get the girl and in the second album. There is only 1 song that sort of matches that (I Wanna Hold You). The second album is much more mature and the songs are about really life things such as one song is about you're parents fighting and how your getting through it, another is about being down in the dumps and bein depressed and then you just tell yourself "I'll Be Okay" and there is also a song about going through a midlife crisis. And also a song about a girl committing suicide. I think the band could pull off any sound and the fans would still love it! // 10

Lyrics: The overall impression of the lyrics is really good as they have still got that slight cheekyness in some of their songs! I do think that it is mostly sang by tom in this album exept for don't know why which is sang by danny and there are a few songs where dougie sings a few lines in. But I think the song which stands out most for lyrics would be Too close for comfort. They are very true and heavy. Something like they have never written before. And Danny's voice stabs through really strong on this song which makes it more drumatic. Then there is She Falls Asleep played on piano and sung by Tom. I think Tom's voice is just right for this song as it is very soft. I think their singing abilities is awesome and then their playing abilities even better! // 10

Overall Impression: This album has to be one of the best in 2005, definately in teh top 10. I think the most impressive songs have to be She Falls Asleep Part 2 and Too Close For Comfort but also I Wanna Hold You as it goes back to their roots. I love how they have mixed in Real Life but also some of the lyrics do relate back to their roots. I don't think I hate anything about it to be honest! I have actually recently had it stolen from the car and I did go out and buy it again. It's an album you can listen to over and over and never get bord! // 10

Wonderland Reviewed by: Mainer_McFly, on january 18, 2006

Sound: McFly's new album has been great the sound is new and more mature from the boys plus dougie sings more which sorta brings a new level to the album as he has a great voice. McFly are really going from strength to strength they will be apearing in Lidnsey Lohan's new movie in may called Lust My Luck where I understand they have big parts. As for the album it rocks but I would of liked to hear more of there old sound as thats wat attracted me to McFly's music at the start. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are more grown up for the band this time. Dougie has gotta in on the act this time writing most the songs with tom. Danny though brings the best song on the album Don't Know Why which he wrote with his sister. McFly's lyrics have really gone a step up to more important matters. Was very dissapointed that they had to change there lyrics in I Wanna Hold You because this country had poilices and found it offensive what a load of rubbish but fair to mcfly they did change them. The lyrics are so much better on this album that room on the third floor and I love it even more. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say room on the third floor was better but wonderland is so different in songs which makes it a great album. McFly have come of age and I can't wait till the next album comes out because I'll be out to buy it staright away. // 9

Wonderland Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2008

Sound: In this album McFly combinates good, catchy lyrics and a wonderful rythm, being suitable for any age, not like their previous album Room on the 3rd Floor. The previous CD was very teenage-ish, with songs talking about girls, summer, and beachy things, but still being a good album, but not better than this one. Wonderland is very very grown up, you can definetely see their evolution. They learned how to combine every single aspect to make the songs sound, feel, and be good, not using pop lyrics and beats as they used to do. A bit of that music still remains, as you can see in I've Got You and All About You, to balance the album a bit. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are SO wonderful. Of course there are some things that don't fit with the song, sometimes you can see they just tried to find a word to make a rhyme, but overall, some of the lyrics even give me the chills. I Wanna Hold You's "Say the magic words and I'd destroy the world for you. An army for the broken hearted, marching through the streets, and every city's burning to the ground under your feet" or the song Danny wrote when his father betrayed his mom, Don't Know Why's "And I don't know why, I just let slip by, me all the time, I just wish you had tried" are great examples. McFly was doing some really good stuff at that time. // 10

Overall Impression: Best album of the band. A little time ago I though it was MITO, because I liked the songs more, and I still do. But I really have to admit, Wonderland is a lot more well done than Motion in the Ocean is. I kind of missed the bouncy beats that I love at the beggining, but now I can see that they're just nothing compared to the other aspects of a song, wich they really kicked some ass here. // 10

Comments