The Craving Review

MD.45: The Craving
Released: Jul 23, 1996
Genre: Punk Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: Slab Records, Capitol Records
The Craving is the only album released by MD.45, which was a side project of Megadeth guitarist/frontman Dave Mustaine, along with Fear guitarist/vocalist Lee Ving on singing duties, bassist Kelly LeMieux and former Suicidal Tendencies and Alice Cooper drummer Jimmy DeGrasso.
 8.5
The Craving Reviewed by: DrShreddington, on january 20, 2009

Sound: The Craving is the only album released by MD.45, Dave Mustaine's side project from Megadeth. Originally, when the album was released in 1996 the man behind the microphone was Lee Ving. Dave Mustaine however remixed and remastered the tracks from the album, in which he did the singing. This was a major improvement, Dave's voice is far more suiting to the style of music than Lee Ving's. The lineup for the remixed version includes Dave Mustaine for vocals and guitar, Kelly Lemieux on bass guitar, and Megadeth's drummer Jimmy DeGrasso on drums. The sound in the album is generally quite good. Most of the songs boast heart-pounding thrash metal riffs and send chills of awesomeness down your spine, but The Craving manages to do so in a slightly different fashion than most current "carbon copy" thrash metal bands. There's something "odd" in the songs. Though most songs stick to basic power chord progressions, there are many things that set it apart, for example in the track "The Creed" there is a harmonica playing with the guitar which sounds surprisingly good. One of the other things which is noticeable on this album is the head-bobbing beat. If you're looking for a headbanging mostfest this isn't the album for you, the songs have a far more "funklike" approach, that gets your head bobbing rather than moshing. It's definitely lighter thrash metal, but far more clear. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in "The Craving" are generally great. I'm not one to judge lyrics much, so much as they sound good, the purpose behind the words doesn't say much. Still, the lyrics obviously had some thought poured into them, and remain very meaningful. The one exception would however be on the track "My Town" which one could say has some of the worst lyrics imaginable for a thrash metal song. // 7

Overall Impression: Does it compare to other albums? Most certainly yes, "The Craving" definitely sounds a lot like Megadeth and is well comparable in that area. It is very fine thrash metal. A few of the most outstanding tracks on the album would be "The Creed", "Hell's Motel", "Nothing is Something" and "Roadman". All of the tracks boast great speedy guitar playing, rhythmic drums and catchy basslines. There's something about these tracks that can't really be formulated into words. They just sound amazing in their own way, give them a listen and you will understand. // 9

The Craving Reviewed by: Megadethfan245, on january 21, 2011

Sound: Well this band only made one album which was The Craving, I will be reviewing the remastered version with Dave singing and no harmonica. Well the album was originally made in 1996 with guitarist Dave Mustaine, singer Lee Ving, Kelly LeMieux on bass and Jimmy DeGrasso on drums. When it was released in 2004 Dave Mustaine was on lead vocals and lead guitar. This was a side project of all the musicians. The genre is obviously thrash metal! // 8

Lyrics: Like most albums there was bad lyrics and good lyrics and bad lyrics. I liked them all but in the song Fight Hate, I found the lyrics pretty boring. The lyrics and music did go well together though. Well both singers Dave and Lee are good, but I preferred Dave's more and his was great. // 7

Overall Impression: It is a pretty good album, it's has a little bit of a Megadeth feel to it, but not a lot which I was happy about because although I do like Megadeth and Dave's singing, I wanted something a little different. The best songs on the album for me were The Creed, Voices and Roadman. I love the whole album a lot. I hate how they only made one. I would not buy it again because it is saved on my computer and I bought it off of iTunes, so the only way it is getting stolen is if my computer is and if that's stolen than it's still all on my iPod. So no. // 8

Comments