Take A Break review by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

• Released: Jul 1, 2003
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes: Take A Break

This ingenious album by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes claims to be a tribute to the members' favorite black artists. They deliver with fast, upbeat punk rock versions of songs like "I Believe I Can Fly", "Mona Lisa", and "Oh Girl". The catchy basslines, superb drumming, and excellent vocals all combine to make hit after hit.

Since MFGG didn't write these songs, the lyrics really can't be graded, but Spike definitely has vocal talent. He really knows how to sing, and can hit almost any note.

I can't say enough, this is an excellent album!!! If it was stolen or lost, I would buy another one right then and there. I have given it to tons of people for holiday or birthday gifts. Even if the person isn't really a fan of punk rock, they can still get behind this CD, especially if they recognize the songs on the album. I think the most impressive songs on this album are "Where Do Broken Hearts Go?", "Nothing Compares 2 U", "Oh Girl", and "Mona Lisa". They cap the album off with their cover of "Natural Woman". I don't think there is anything I could hate about this album! I'm on my way to the record store to buy the rest of the MFGG albums right now.