Classic Puppets review by Meat Puppets

• Released: Feb 3, 2004
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Meat Puppets: Classic Puppets

This is a "best of" compilation for the years 1980-1989. It is a long album, worth the money, containing 24 tracks. The album ranges from punk to country(this is from their wide variety of influences, ranging from Iggy Pop to Johnny Cash). Four unreleased tracks are included. Curt's guitar is amazingly fast and melodic. Cris's bass playing is also as impressive. The booklet included contains band art and interviews with the band throughout their 20+ year carrer.

Curt's lyrics are as abstract and spacey as his art. The only other songwriter I can think to compare him to is Kurt Cobain. Curt's voice changes from an incomprehensible screaming rant to slow, soothing and poetic (listen to "look at the rain").

Overall, this is my favorite album in my collection. The original "Lake of fire", "Out my way", "Up on the sun", "Get on down" and "Look at the rain are a few of the best. I love everything about this album except that the track "Oh me" is not included. This album is worth every cent (not that it's that much) and I recommend it highly. P.S. I do not work for ryko records, although I sounded like it. I don't mean to be a salesman. I am telling the truth.