Too High To Die review by Meat Puppets

• Released: Jan 25, 1994
Meat Puppets: Too High To Die

Terrific Rock soloing in a folk setting, realy an amazing feat. Though most songs lean more to the rock end of the scale (Songs like "Violet Eyes" and "Backwater" do so very well), though a few lean very much to the folk side ( Case and Point "Comin Down", which is my personal favorite next to "Lake of Fire (the hidden track)). The lyrics are often dark and powerful, and the "alternative" lable seems the only way to describe anyhting like this! I discovered this song through Nirvana's version "Lake of Fire". My dad had this CD, where this is he hidden track at the end (though it is different fom the one off of "Meat Puppets II".

Great lyrics. Plain and simple, these lyrics are not simple, and very easy to folow. The lyrics just gel with the music so well, I can't even seperate them in my mind. Their singers were Curt Kirkwood and Cris Kirkwood. The vocals just blend and create an almost folky harmony.

The most impressive song off this album is "Backwater" which has some beautiful guitar work. While on the other end is "Comin' Down" which is a study in minimalism, just the basics. Powerful. "Lake of Fire" and the end just seals the deal for me. The only problem about this is it's lack of comercial offerings. The lyrics seemed to be in the back, not as in the front as most artists do today. I would just wig out if my copy was lost or stolen. Nothing else, just compltely flip.

ZarDac
    I love lake of fire, but sadly that is all i have heard by them
    hen
    violet eyes is ****in awesome, what a fantastic way to open the album. and they reunited! **** yeah!