Anthology: Set The World Afire review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Megadeth: Anthology: Set The World Afire

Just about a year ago Megadeth released the broad-spectrum box set Warchest, which might have been a bit pricey for some fans' wallets. Granted, it was the most in-depth look at the band's career thus far, and it might have just covered a little too much ground. Fast forward to 2008, which marks the release of a cheaper, more succinct alternative: Anthology: Set the World Afire. The 2-disk CD package meets a nice middle ground between the band's previous greatest-hits packages and the massive box set. It's true that a few of the less commercially successful albums aren't really represented (there are no tracks from The System Has Failed and only one from The World Needs A Hero) and don't expect to see anything from the latest release United Abominations, but luckily there's still plenty in the arsenal - about 2 hours worth. The tracks featured on Warchest were apparently hand-selected by Dave Mustaine himself, so there was definitely a mix of the familiar and obscure. Anthology: Set The World Afire, on the other hand, is dedicated to delivering the hits first and foremost, with Megadeth's early years getting a decent chunk of the first CD. Mechanix and Rattlehead are taken from Killing Is My Businessand Business Is Good, probably the rawest out of all the studio recordings. It's fantastic they did decide to include Rattlehead because that is the one track that feels closest to Mustaine's Metallica years. Things move quickly onto the years in which Megadeth began to have a heavy presence on Headbanger's Ball, and classics like Peace Sells, Holy WarsThe Punishment Due, Hangar 18, and Sweating Bullets are, as always, highlights. The 2nd disk deals primarily with Megadeth's material from Countdown To Extinction onward, which is still a pretty big bulk of time considering that covers everything since 1993. Skin O' My Teeth, Train of Consequences, A Tout Le Monde, and Kill The King are among the titles on the 2nd disk's 18 tracks. It should also be mentioned that there are quite a few tracks taken from 1995's Hidden Treasures CD, which featured rarities and soundtrack singles. Surprisingly the MTV hit No More Mr. Nice Guy did not make the Set the World Afire's list, but you do get Breakpoint (taken from Super Mario Bros.), Angry Again (Last Action Hero), and Go To Hell (Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey). Set The World Afire is not putting it's focus on much that is new, but this is a case where it's good to finally just have a solid, well-known Megadeth collection. Warchest featured quite a few rough cuts and live versions, but Anthology sticks with the classic takes for the most part. The few newly released titled include live versions of Symphony of Destruction and Peace Sells, as well as a demo version of High Speed Dirt. In comparison to other bands that include demos on their greatest hits CDs, High Speed Dirt sounds 100 percent solid (check out the perfectly executed bluesy guitar riff toward the end). That track in itself is a testament to the musicianship within Megadeth.

The anthology features tracks that Megadeth's fans will already be familiar with, so the lyrical content shouldn't raise any eyebrows. It is interesting to see how well-crafted the lyrics actually were in the early days, too. Yes, there is a certain maturity to the later songs like A Tout Le Monde, but the 1980's tracks shows great promise in both metaphorical construction (Mechanix) and politically driven content (Peace Sells").

Megadeth fans should relish in Anthology: Set The World Afire, even with the last few years not completely represented. It's true that Warchest included 5 disks, but a lot of the featured tracks were rarities or demos. Sometimes you just want to hear the classic version of a hit single, and the new release covers all the bases in that area. Obviously they can't include anything from United Abominations yet, so the compilation gets a pass on that one, too. Again, it's impossible to please everyone, but Set The World Afire finally does a quality job of hitting all the high notes in Megadeth's lengthy career.

colm c
    i agree with you here it is just Warchest lite!! still its good but Mustaine has done these best ofs to death now!
    J.Priest
    Bored to Tears
    This isn't really Megadeth's doing though. They're on Roadrunner Records now, this was released by Capitol. Obviously Capitol is still trying to make money using Megadeth's name.
    nxtvh90
    great songs. but i think it may be going one to many. at least theyre also releasing a studio album in march. it should be a good one
    Metallicam
    No songs off TSHF? That kinda sucks. Well, not really as I have it, but still... I hear they're in the studio now, so I believe a new album is in the works. I love how they keep pumping out albums quickly and not waiting five years between releases. I probably won't get this, as I have it all already. Sorry Dave, I have enough of your stuff!!
    xXChimairaXx
    J.Priest wrote: xXChimairaXx wrote: the name is too similar to killswitch's live dvd "set the world ablaze". megadeth still kicks ass. Dude, Megadeth released the song "Set The World Afire" in 1988, long before Killswitch Engage. So KE stole Set the World Ablaze, from Megadeth
    PHEW. did i mess up. thanks for letting me know. Now ill think twice about those copycat fools.
    kennydabomb
    i love megadeth as much as i love pie! and boy do i love pie! learning lucretia.... songs kinda tough at first but its fun!! is it on here?
    Froboarder
    FYI, High Speed Dirt is a pretty cool song. Although considering I've that song for over a year now, I don't get how it's still a demo. And 'Antology'? Ces nouvelles, sont-elles ecrits par un homme franais? xD
    Metal Head 101
    Megadeth is by far my favourite thrash metal band its just too bad Marty isn't doing the lead anymore but still, i'm stoked for the new album
    GoldSoundzUKNZ
    another megadeth compilation? i prefer the other one, this one is good for completists though
    devilex121
    ozzynator
    devilex121 wrote: Froboarder wrote: And 'Antology'? Ces nouvelles, sont-elles ecrits par un homme franais? xD what??? my french is not the best, but are you trying to say 'these news, are they written by a french man?' just curious...
    c'est ce qu'il a dit thats what he said. on topic, i am more exited about the new album than this best off.
    Widow6
    I didn't even know about this. I'd buy it, but I pretty much have everything already.
    Froboarder
    lethaldosage45 wrote: haha stupid killswtich fans...xXChimairaXx wrote: the name is too similar to killswitch's live dvd "set the world ablaze". megadeth still kicks ass.
    But it's named after the Megadeth song 'Set The World Afire' Made long before killswitch. The reason they're making all these greatest hits is just so they can complete their contract with the record company.
    ozzyborne15
    i agree with colm its the same thing as warchest but there all good songs any ways and its all ways good to get all there cds like any megadeth fan doesnt already have them all.
    steve_a7x
    how many best of albums do they have now lol, i love megadeth, they are on of the best bands around! but another best of! what the hell! just hurry with the new album
    Amuro Jay
    DAVE FTW! But really, wait another couple of years or so before bringing another best of idea out. I swear I think megadeth has more best of collections than iron maiden does...
    Smithsc
    Good god! how many more greatest hits do megadeth need?? I still want this, but isnt this like their 3rd one? Whats next? Megadeth anthologies?
    grim26991
    Oh **** this sounds so good =[ They dont sell no Megadeth albums in Dubai =[
    Spamwise
    Megadeth wasn't in charge of this release. It was Capitol records that did this, fyi. You may want to add that in to the review, or not. haha
    Lamb of Deth
    ok Megadeth does have a ridiculous amount of best of cd's going to try to list them: Capitol Punishment years, Still Alive... and well?, Back to the start, Warchest, and now set the World a Fire. Totaling at 5... Capitol Punishment was the old record company (Capitol) trying to make the last bit of money off of Megadeth released maybe a decadish ago. Not sure who decided to do still alive and well but thats also an old one. Back to the start was compiled by fans around the time of System has Failed being released, warchest was Dave himself las year, not sure who selected tracks for Set the world afire... Spamwise said it was Capitol again. I hope this clears up some of the confusion as to why so many
    xXChimairaXx
    Unleash_Hell
    quote]Im a Rattlehead wrote: if u knew anything about megadeth you wud know why its called set the world afire![/quote] Hahahahaha But I'm with everyone else here, I have Warchest, but I do have an urge to buy this as well
    Robert Judkins
    I hate the way it says "in depth look at the band's career". If you want that, then actually just buy their studio albums!
    Mulldarran
    He should make a greatest hits collection of his greatest hits compilations. Come on Deth, we have enough of these compilations as it is. Yes I have Warchest and it's awesome, so why in the world would I buy this? And to mister Chimaira here above: Have you considered that Set The World Afire was a song that was written well over 15 years before Crapswitch Engage began playing "metal"?
    Froboarder
    Indeed, that is what I had said. You get an e-cookie. =) Vive le Qubec! On topic, MORE MEGADETH.