Countdown to Extinction review by Megadeth

• Released: Jul 27, 2004
Megadeth: Countdown to Extinction

Megadeth never fails to impress me. Compared to the albums before this one, CTE slows down their riffs, but yet keeps that incredible power and crunch everyone knows. I strongly prefer the original release over the remastered version; the original is rawer and has more vibes to it. And let's not forget the rapid solos from Dave and Marty!

I love the lyrics on this album. A great mixture of political and personal themes in it. Dave Mustaine may not be the strongest singer, but his style really suits the lyrics that he sings his heart out on. 01. Skin O My Teeth - about trying various ways to commit suicide, but always never getting the job done. Amazing opener. 02. Symphony Of Destruction - the rise of a tyrant and his downfall. One of Megadeth's signature songs and one of their best. 03. Architecture Of Aggression - a song about war and the aftermath of it. One of my favorites on the album. 04. Foreclosure Of A Dream - about poverty on farms and also about David Ellefson's life when he was with his parents. Very powerful and heartfelt. 05. Sweating Bullets - about a man with multiple personalties. My favorite track on the album and it never ceases to entertain me. 06. This Is The Life - a person who tries to live life to the fullest, but screws it up. So-so song. 07. Countdown To Extinction - about hunting all animals to the brink of extinction till there's only one animal left: Man. Very impressive song and probably one of the strongest on the album. 08. High Speed Dirt - about the thrill of skydiving. Fun song, really catchy. 09. Psychotron - about the comic book character, Dethlok. Okay song, not one of my favorites. 10. Captive Honour - about the court and the judge. Awesome song, especially the voiceovers. Best one: "Life?! What do you mean life? I ain't got a life!" 11. Ashes In Your Mouth - the aftermath of war. Great song, especially the intro.

This album is the one that got me into Megadeth and I still love it to death. Definitely better than most of Metallica's '90s stuff (except the Black Album). The best songs on the album are: Sweating Bullets, Symphony Of Destruction, Architecture Of Aggression, Foreclosure Of A Dream, and Countdown To Extinction. If it was stolen, I would by two more copies and make sure no one takes them!

mtllica
    This is it, this is the countdown to extinction! Fantastic album.
    CrazyPigeon
    epiphonedemon wrote: Has Megadeth ever put out a "bad" album.....well HELL NO!!
    Well actually there was "Risk"...
    postmortem2006
    Even Risk was awesome IMO. Although there were a few dud tracks (Crush 'Em was appalling) I thought it was a solid record.
    Raaaaar
    best metal lead playing..exotic and technical. i listened to this album every single day from 1992 to 1995 so i know it fairly well. It still sounds great.
    Bongard
    korinaflyingv wrote: boyan89, your an idiot. Check the members of the band on this album, then check your review. You'll see...
    wow.... you realy know when somones talking out ther ass when they dont even know the names of the band
    boyan89
    My bad, I wrote such crappy rewviews back then,I read it over and I just practically fainted.
    anky_des427
    wow this is dumb foreclosure of a dream is 10/10! that song is str8 perfect 8/10 my ass
    guitarfreak222
    Glen drover was in megadeth for "united abominations" he left and now chris broderick is in megadeth. he didnt do symphony of destrucion. Whoever said that quoete is retarted
    guitarfreak222
    omg i just noticed he spelt it as rover too lmao
    guitarfreak222
    guitarfreak222 wrote: guitarfreak222 wrote: kmf1 wrote: 'Glen Rover is an awesome soloist and lead guitarist especially the solo in Symphony Of Destruction that is a true solo on this album.' who the fk is glen rover?. this album got me into music-i listened to it every single day when i was at school years ago. Glen drover was in megadeth for "united abominations" he left and now chris broderick is in megadeth. he didnt do symphony of destrucion. Whoever said quoete is retartedomg i just noticed he spelt it as rover too lmao
    oh jesus in ur review u even said the shawn drover and james LoMenzo did this album too..they are all on united aboninations idiot.
    freedomdeceptiv
    i agree with the first review... not as good as rust in peace but better than metallicas black album (metallica kinda sold out around that time)... no metal album tops master of puppets but metallica lost a lot of what originally made them good. Megadeth is more consistant with good releases but metallicas old shit is epic. i can see why everyone (including me) always compares them. and to slayer fans: slayer kicks ass but both megadeth and metallica are way better.