Endgame review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
Megadeth: Endgame

Megadeth have proven once again, that age is no obstacle in making some very sweet Thrash. I went into listening to this album with a sense of "there's no way it can improve on their older records" It seems however, much like United Abominations, Dave and Co. can still pull great songs out of their hard-shells. The sound is reminiscent of a much better produced Rust in Peace, Peace Sells. We have a lot of pounding bass guitar and bass drum, with a lot of double guitar work, and in the case of the first song "Dialectic Chaos" a complete guitar battle between frontman Dave, and new blood Chris Broderick, showing that the lead guitarist in Dave is still alive an kicking, as he flawlessly keeps up with Broderick. You can definitely see Broderick's classical training coming through on this album, with a lot of very fluid sweeping and technical precision. However, the solo's can become a little boring, as it seems Broderick is playing as fast as he can, and not playing what suits the song. All in all the sound production and mixing of instruments is wildly superior to any other Megadeth album. All instruments sound clear, with just the right distortion for rhythm, lead, enough bass, and excellent sounding drum tracks throughout the songs.

The lyrics, like many Megadeth albums, focus's on the Now, and this album is no different. There are songs condemning all the financial leaders, and their greed, which has left us in this mess of a recession, or more political still, with the title track EndGame being about Bush, and a very confrontational bill which he tried to put through. However, in all the seriousness, there is still some random lunacy from Megadeth, with songs like "1,320" being about Nitro Fuelled cars, which are something Mustaine enjoys very much. As for singing skills, Mustaine has a lot of growling, screaming, talking and all things in between. His voice is just the same old mustaine voice, with the same "you like it, or don't" air about it. All the music flows around the lyrics effortlessly, and makes a very enjoyable listening experience.

At the present time, I think this album is amazingly good. I love all the aspects of it. Well worth buying. It compares best to 'United Abominations' in terms of lyrical content, and sound. However, at the same time, it borrows from all of Megadeths previous triumphs, and creates a truly worthwhile album. Diehard Megadeth fans will enjoy this album a lot, and it's bound to attract some new fans. The most impressive songs on this album are, in my opinion, Dialectic Chaos, How The Story Ends, The Right to Go Insane, and EndGame. They are my favourites, and I think they combine the best of what Megadeth is all about. As a guitarist, I can easily say I love daves pounding and driving rhythm work, its top notch as always, and am amazed at what Brodericks fingers can do on the fretboard. If it was stolen, or lost... I'd probably have it ripped to my PC so there wouldn't be any need to replace it. But I would be really pissed off.