Endgame review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
Megadeth: Endgame

Megadeth have always had different line ups through the years. Some were good. Some were great and some were absolutely stellar, like the Friedman and Ellefson years, which were some of their best. On EndGame, Megadeth and their fearless leader Dave Mustaine have solidified their most cohesive, shred-a-rifffic roster in years. New axe Chris Broderick is like a jolt of adrenaline to the Megadeth bloodstream, and he shreds his ass off alongside the inimitable Mr. Mustaine. Megadeth (and Mustaine, even though the two are interchangeable at this point) haven't sound this pissed off, with this much venom dripping from their chins, in years. We like it. But more importantly, metal and Megadeth fans will love it. Opening with the instrumental Dialectic Chaos and launching with the warhead that is This Day We Fight!, EndGame comes out of the gates, with all guns held high and blazing, never missing their targets. Mustaine and his crew clearly realize, like Tom Cruise's Maverick in Top Gun, that metal fans feel the needfor speed. Never once does that band apply the brakes on this trash attack of epic proportions. To say that EndGame is a return form would imply, indicate and insinuate that the band has been missing a step in recent years, when it hasn't. 2007's United Abominations was a quality album and EndGame follows it up with the same amount of ferocity. 44 Minutes offers a menacing guitar tone, while Headcrusher sounds like Mustaine has been carrying around the song in his arsenal since 1986, saving it till it accrued enough interest to make the most impact when he unleashed it upon the unsuspecting world. Bite the Hand is another album that straddles the line between the classic and modern thrash eras. Simply put, EndGame is the Megadeth fans want and need in 2009.

Mustaine's got a gift for wordplay, turns of phrase and political phraseology that makes you think beyond the initial meaning. EndGame is inspired by a document that was signed during the Bush administration do your research if you want to know more and educate yourself- and Mustaine wove the album around that particular piece of governmental trickery. Mustaine is a smart lyricist and wordsmith who is informed about things beyond the nightly news so if you want to do a little thinking, you can get the seeds of info from songs like Bodies and the title track and then learn a little bit more on your own. If that isn't the hallmark of good music, then nothing else can be! Dave's just leading you to the water it's up to you to drink. His gritted-teeth delivery is as chilling and ominous as ever, too. He still sounds young and vengeful.

Metal flows through Mustaine's and Megadeth's veins. EndGame is just another piece of evidence that displays this fact. It's one of the band's best of their modern era and this decade, and will veritably find a place amongst the metal canon, when we look back at this album in ten or 15 years.

grimmolehill
    I listened to the whole album three times when I first got it. the guitar at the start of headcrusher... Amazing!
    Sanitarium91
    Numbin the pain wrote: After every new album release, i try to like megadeth,and with chris brodick, i thought this could be different. however the only thing chris brodick has brought is a time machine back to the eighties cause this sounds like a poor mans kill em all.
    A poor mans kill em all? What the hell have you done to your ears man?
    The Stiv
    This is an amazing album compared to a lot of current garbage. I'm glad someone still knows how to make this shit.
    ThrashIsGreat
    I hear alot of "there is nothing to remember on this album" I don't find that true. The riffs are awesome, and both Broderick's and Dave's solos are freakin awesome. I hate the Metallica comparisons, but this album is better than anything they've done since Black.
    Skuzzmo
    Numbin the pain wrote: After every new album release, i try to like megadeth,and with chris broderick, i thought this could be different. however the only thing chris broderick has brought is a time machine back to the eighties cause this sounds like a poor mans kill em all.
    What the hell?!?!?! Are you sniffing glue or something....?
    Altitudinous
    Stupid. It's a sick album with some dirty thrash, not EVERYTHING is gonna be this huge dream theater epic lifechanging shit. They put out a solid album that's easily enjoyed by many. You can't listen to that first song and say "poor mans kill em all". ugh. I love this album, i just wish the vox were a little stronger. But hey, i don't really care, because i love the thrashin'. awesome job megadeth.
    jordan99
    Dave and the rest of the guys in Megadeth have truely outdone themselves again! In my opinion they are at the top of their game and kickin more ass then they ever have! Amazing album!!!!
    metal4ever6328
    I love Broderick. I was pissed when he left Nevermore. But I feel he may have a better chance to shine through with MD.
    Oli_
    I had a grin on my face for the entire duration of the first two tracks. How insanely powerful are they!!
    Skuzzmo
    Really, really enjoyed this album... Reminded me why I'm a 'Deth fan. Well done to Mr Mustaine and crew.
    DroogieSteve
    steevo92 wrote: KingSquall802 wrote: All i can say is... 1) Rust in peace 2) Peace Sells 3) Countdown to extinction 4) United Abomiations 5) Endgame??? have you ever listened killing is my business?... its better than endgame or UA in my opinion
    But killing is my business sounds like it was recorded through an Xbox headset...
    ChemicalFire
    DimebagRob
    This day we fight is an amazing song, the best on the album. The solos are amazing and the riffs are amazing. The only thing that brings the album down is the lyrics, but as long as they are delivered with Mustaine's gritty snarl I'm happy!
    Slapfunkah
    cjc424 wrote: GeToChKn wrote: Meh, I heard he made this album after getting into all the conspiracy/government world take over/jew and aliens control the planet crap, and if thats the case, screw Dave Mustaine and Megadeath. Those people are nuts and if they got Dave, sorry Dave, but you have to go. Dude Dave is a political songwriter but he doesn't believe in that aliens shit Nick Menza from his ex drummer did and you are making it pretty you don't know what you are saying you ignorant Fuck
    dont bother arguing with someone who can't even spell Megadeth. >)
    JFRules
    The Album is seriously really good. Don`t know what some of you were expecting. Guitar riffs are killer its heavy it sounds like Megadeth. Its ****ing awesome. This is how the ****ing story ends! And Dave where is the Tab book!!
    cjc424
    cjc424
    I just got endgame i had to call into work sick just so i can get this album And i have to let everyone know it is well worth it.
    Nirvanarien
    Apart for you being wrong here,hows that relevant? He doesn't write any songs about it so how would it stop you from listening to the album? I dislike modern religions and Dave Mustaine is a Christian that doesn't mean i can't listen to his music tho.....
    DethThrasher
    LMFAO you need help
    KingSquall802
    Pantora
    chris brodrick ftw! epic solos on his part. i was looking for some crazy multi-fingered tapping on this album though. that would be pretty un-Megadeth though eh?
    MetalUpYourRear
    lilboisX3
    The reviews for this CD are a good reminder why no one should ever come to ultimate guitar for reliable CD reviews. How this is rated anything more than a 6 is beyond me.
    xM3GAD3THx
    I was surprised at how high quality this album turned out to be. I'd put it as their second best album. No for the short wait for Slayer.
    PerilousMangoo
    holy crap this album is great! it is like a return to form for 'deth in such a good way i thought this album was such an improvement from UA.
    MasterOfCows
    bloodbath519 wrote: ChemicalFire wrote: Awesome album, but some songs seem too similar to some classic songs, despite this it's still in my top 3 Megadeth Albums Top 3 lmao. Are you 10 yrs old? Maybe top 6 or 7. Abominations is better than this.
    He's 10 years old because he has his own opinion? Wtf. Anyway, awesome album.
    dfisher_18
    These guys sound way heavier and the sound is more soild, i give Megadeth mad creds for this album
    vjferrara
    the music on this album is pretty awesome... dave just needs to stop trying to write lyrics. read the lyrics on this album people. if you do anything but laugh at them upon reading then you probably need to have your head examined. guitar work = amazing lyrics = ridiculous if it wasn't for the music i would've already returned the album
    TehPandaman
    I knew the review by ChucklesMginty was overpraising this album way too much. Yes, it's a ****ing awesome album and that's coming from a first time Megadeth listener, but having the outro solo of Bodies topping the outro solo of Fade to Black is complete bullshit. Otherwise, this album does top the more recent Metallica stuff if we were to continue the comparisons.
    AXE187
    Where is the theory here? Clearly GhettoFriedChicken has not bothered to research the fact that this is a real govt document, just like many others that have to be seen to be believed. There is no theory here, just conspiracy, and I thank Dave Mustaine and other celebs of his ilk for stepping up to the plate and doing what they can to awaken the masses. QUALITY ALBUM.....
    AstheticsOfHate
    What the... Sorry about that giant post didnt mean to do that... actually not sure how it got there..
    MetalUpYourRear : AstheticsOfHate wrote: Super disappointing, so much hype.. and then this.. Honestly i thought the solos at least would be really good, considering how good Nevermore was in that regard, but even those are lacking at best, totally forgettable album. 5/10 You do know that Broderick was never an actual member of Nevermore and never recorded anything with them right? That was Loomis doing all the soloing in the Nevermore albums. Broderick's band was Jag Panzer. And the solos ARE really good. Dave has gotten 100000x better just since UA.
    I didn't know that, my bad. I'm not saying the solos are bad, I'm just saying they are forgettable, I mean, It feels like Mustain just wanted to play super fast and didnt care what it sounded like.. Anyway im giving this a few more listen throughs before i ditch it, hopefully it will grow on me.
    ESPVpr104
    44 Minutes = my favorite track on this album. Sweet album, no doubt about it!
    SERIALTRENDKILL
    This is the best album I've bought in years. The only album that even comes close to the complexity of this album in recent times is Chinese Democracy (I don't care hat anyone says, that album is musically superior to anything to come out in years. All I have to say is buckethead and bumblefoot). This is Megadeth's first true virtuoso album. It's hard to believe a band as ridiculously talented as Megadeth could get any better. Endgame is Rough Rugged and RAW AS FUCK.
    sglover34479