Endgame review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
Megadeth: Endgame

Megadeth's latest addition to their collection of albums is a smoldering sesspit of headbanging riffs, thundering drums, snarling vocals, and more guitar solos than one could even hope to count. This is definatley their clearest sounding record and their fastest. This is also their first cd featuring guitarist Chris Broderick. Him and Dave Mustaine trade off squealing solos every minute to turn this into one of best "guitar albums" available. Simply put, they're probably the some of the best musicians in metal and they love to show it. Here is a little brief synopsis on each track: 01. Dialectic Chaos: this is an instrumental track that is pure gold. The dueling guitar solos make you get goosebumps as they conclude in a "symphony of destruction" 02. This Day We Fight: the title is a reference to Sun Tzu's book The Art of War and a quote from the Lord of the Rings. This song is equally as epic. The deadly riffs and shouting make it quite compelling. This is one of my favorites off the album and good to listen to over and over. 03. 44 Minutes: this song starts off with a mini solo and thundering beat and sounds of a police radio. This song,about a bank robbery, has a catchy chorus and an equally catchy solo tied in. 04. 1,320: one of the coolest songs off the album, it starts off with a fast riff, then a drum fill and ends with a bunch of fast angry vocals and a whole bunch of guitar solos. You'll be sure to like this one. 05. Bite the Hand: this song is about coporate greed and economic crisis and such. Starting off with a heavy riff, then a more bluesy sounding verse, this one is a fairly nice addition to this monster of a record. 06. Bodies Left Behind: one of the heavier tracks off the record, this sinister musical piece will have your head banging the whole time and begging for more 07. Endgame: the title track is similar to the title track on the previous record, only heavier. This politically charged masterpiece has you singing along with the chorus and at the same time, getting you mad at the Man. 08. The Hardest Part of Letting Go: this track is similar to A tout le Monde only faster and heavier. It starts off with an acoustic section quickly getting heavy and then soloing the rest of the way. The song is basically about the Poe story "The Cask of Amontillado" if the guy that got killed was a girl he was in love with. This is one of the more sinister tracks that has to grow on you. 09. Head Crusher: this is the best track off the album. It is about the torture device of the same name, this song will have you shaking your head till brain matter comes out your ears. It starts off with a fast mini solo then instantly goes into an angry rant of death and destruction. The killer riffs, memorable lyrics and guitar solo to top it off will crush your skull. After listening typically you just wanna listen to it again. An instant classic. 10. How the Story Ends: kind of a part 2 to This Day We Fight, this is also a good one. The chorus is undeniably catchy and the rest is as well. One of my favorites from the album. The Right to Go Insane: this song is about the economic crisis/foreclosure problem. It starts off with a heavy bass riff, then a memorable guitar riff to follow. This track catches the whole feel of the record and is probably the best example of the sound you get. The intensley heavy track closes with some really fast soloing. To describe the sound of the album I would say that it is 100 percent Thrash Metal, just the way we like it. This is probably the most intense sounding record they've released in a long time. It sort of shows that Megadeth doesn't care about what is popular right now and just wanted to make an awesome record. This is a real breath of fresh air.

If you've heard any of their previous work you know what to expect. Theres lyrics involving political unrest, war and other random subjects. The lyrics definatley suit the music well and so does Mustaine's voice. One thing that comes up a lot is that Dave isn't the best singer, while this may be true, he doesn't try to do anything he can't and besides; Megadeth has always been more about the music than the singing. If I was to describe the lyrics, I would say that they are clever and go well with the style. They're not exactly poetry, but they certainly better than the mindless garbage a lot of singers come up with. Here is a favorite line from the song Head Crusher: "Twisting, turning the giant screw. Your Teeth are breaking loose. Crushed and splintering into your mouth." And this from This Day we Fight: "To size up their shriveled up souls and scatter them like grist, I vanquished the strangleholds that the netherworld sets for me. The last request for my life is to die killing my enemy." That's just a sample of the words used on the album. These lines tend to stick to your head quite well and work excellent with the mood of the music.

In my opinion, this is their best record since Rust in Peace. I know that's a big statement, but it truly is. This album is a good buy for any one who likes Megadeth or just a few songs of theirs. I love everything about it and I find it difficult to find something that I hate. I like it a little more every time I hear it, and that's something that doesn't happen often. Some people might say that none of the songs stick out in this record; what I would recommend is listening to it again and seeing if it sticks. That's another thing I like about it. It is not catchy for obvious reasons, you have to let it enter your mind and then you'll start to apprieciate it. With songs like Head Crusher, 1,320, This day we fight, and how the story ends; you have a metal album of the year right here. Even if you don't care for these guys, give it a listen because learning to play these songs will give you enough of a challenge. I am sure I am going to buy the Tab book when it comes out too for that reason. Cheers to Megadeth for the great addition and hope to see 'em live soon. Buy this Album!

theguitaristdud
    Sorry guys, but Hardest Part of Letting Go... Sealed With a Kiss fu**ing blows @$$. I hate it. It's the only song that wasn't written entirely by Dave Mustaine. Other than that, I think Megadeth did a pretty good job. Next time though, Dave Mustaine should just do all the writing.
    SoftParade1967
    Honestly this album disapointed me alot. Mustaine over hyped it for me. Im stickin with Death Magnetic.
    bassthunder
    theguitaristdud wrote: [The Hardest Part of Letting Go is] the only song that wasn't written entirely by Dave Mustaine.
    Drover wrote on Head Crusher. Anyways, awesome album. Dialectic Chaos/This Day We Fight themselves make this album worth buying.
    BlisteringDDj
    SeEsAw12 wrote: sir strumalot00 wrote: Definitely, the BEST album ive heard in a looooong time... I'm gonna get flammed for this but I think the ATR album is better than this. And i've listened to megadeth for years now.. and I just barely got into all that remains this year.
    Are you comparing Megadeth to ATR? Wow...
    SeEsAw12
    SeEsAw12
    Nothing special at all. Pretty much U.A. cont. Mustaine has a way with words but once you hear one song you heard them all musically.
    FearOfTheDuck
    crocoscar wrote: Risk > Rust in Peace
    Chaos A.D.am wrote: St. Anger > Master of Puppets
    I think you are both morons!! Anyway, moving on! this album gets better with each listen. There are people critising the album in this comment bit who don't actually own the album and have only heard Headcrusher. Get the album, play it loud and a few times and you will love it : )
    chiefmegadeth
    Slapfunkah wrote: cjc424 wrote: GeToChKn wrote: Meh, I heard he made this album after getting into all the conspiracy/government world take over/jew and aliens control the planet crap, and if thats the case, screw Dave Mustaine and Megadeath. Those people are nuts and if they got Dave, sorry Dave, but you have to go. Dude Dave is a political songwriter but he doesn't believe in that aliens shit Nick Menza from his ex drummer did and you are making it pretty you don't know what you are saying you ignorant Fuck dont bother arguing with someone who can't even spell Megadeth. >)
    So true... You know he aint no Megadeth fan,thats for sure Endgame rules!!!! Cant stop listening to it...over and over
    Chaos A.D.am
    It's an acceptable release from a band that is past their prime. They are never going to put out another album as good as Rust in Peace or Peace Sells again. Since I can accept that, I appreciate the album for being another good addition to a great catalogue.
    BlessureK
    i'm a big fan of tallica as well as deth, so i like to think my opinion isnt fanboy. i honestly don't think this album is as brilliant as the reviews are making it out to be. it seems dave is recycling old material to make this album. in nearly every song i can hear something that sounds like it from the 80s. solos are pretty good, very fast as megadeth usually is. its a pretty thrashy album. but the vocals let me down abit. its a good return to form for megadeth who i dont think have made a really brilliant album since Rust. its just my opinion but
    'TallicaRules
    [quote]chiefmegadeth : 'TallicaRules wrote: Endgame is a good solid album,no doubt..but that's not enough with all the hype and promotion of it being the best Megadeth album. It certainly is not. I dont think this is so much better than death Magnetic. I still prefer DM to this. Really? Cause that album was terrible! Please dont bring up trash like that.../quote] hey bud...DM was'nt that bad... and if you think other's opinions are trash..then grow up!
    cobainAnselmo
    Best Track: Dialetic Chaos This Day We Fight Headcrusher the other is fair and bad... and the worst is: The Hardest Part Of Letting Go...Sealed it with a kiss.. Goddamn, what a title!!!!you can do it better, Dave!!
    Sherlock_Bones
    Dialectic Chaos is a good track, but the intro sounds way too much like Boston's Foreplay/Long Time; and i'm talking real copy and paste like aswell.
    BlisteringDDj
    This album satisfied me. Well done, Megadeth. Thank you for this terrific album! Stop complaining about hype and promotion. Selling albums is a business.
    chiefmegadeth
    Really? Cause that album was terrible! Please dont bring up trash like that...