Endgame review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
Megadeth: Endgame

This is Megadeth's 12th studio album, and as with its previous 2 albums, The System has Failed and United Abominations, Endgame is a straight up thrash metal album. It is Megadeth's first album with guitarist Chris Broderick, who whilst being impeccable at replicating solos live, never quite has the creative edge of marty or chris poland. To me Chris's solos are exhibits of technical prowess rather than any great melodic genius. Not so with Dave, who whilst not being able to compete with chris technically, all his solos are unique and fit the songs perfectly. As always, Dave Mustaine IS Megadeth, delivering ferocious riffs and mind blowing solos as prolifically as ever.

Lyrically, Dave Mustaine is as outspoken as ever, singing about topics such as the recession in "The Right to go Insane" and the politics of the Bush administration in "Endgame". He also deals with less controversial issues, singing about top fuel drag racing in "1,320" and medieval torture in "Headcrusher". The lyrics fit the music perfectly, as we have come to expect with megadeth. Also, I don't care what anybody says, Dave Mustaine is one of the great metal vocalists, and his trademark snarling has defined megadeth for nearly 27 years. In this album Dave's vocals are more growly than in his early albums, but hey, he's 48 years old, and they still sound good and really fit the mood of the peace.

My favourite songs would be "44 minutes", "Bodies" (it is worth listening to just for the dual guitar harmonies), "Head Crusher" and "The Right to go Insane". The only song I don't particularly care for is "The hardest part of letting go". The lyrics are good, but the guitar work isn't as exciting as on some other tracks, and it is one song where Mustaine's aggressive vocal style doesn't really work. I have heard it compared to "In my Darkest Hour", but for me it is not a fair comparison, as In My Darkest Hour was for me a much more rounded song, and it fitted togerther much more nicely. But other than that it is a good album. Perhaps it is a shame as it is 27 years since Dave was fired from the band, but the inevitable comparison will be with Metallica's Death Magnetic, which attempted to get back to Metallica's old thrash sound. Like DM, this album grows on you the more you listen to it, but I would say that this is a superior album to Metallica's effort. If it was stolen/lost, I would go and buy another copy. What else would I do really? Homocide seems a tad excessive over a CD really... I would recommend this album to anyone considering buying it, as it is a more than commendable effort by a band of whom we have come to expect so much.

Skuzzmo
    Colter wrote: DAVE IF YOU READ THIS PLLEAASSSEEEEE you're old you're gona die soon (or not be able to play guitar again) start doin them drugs again and write another Rust in Peace
    Sheesh...dude you're total cock.
    godforbid4231
    very impressed with this album. out of the big four only metallica has disappointed and anthrax is always the quiet guy.
    tazmanz
    Hands down Megadeth's best offering since Rust in Peace. Dave has incorporated so many elements from Mega-days-gone-by... very impressive. Didn't take this out of my CD player in my car for a couple of weeks. When it comes to Thrash Metal, Dave invented it... and now he moves it forward yet again. Next to Testament - Formation of Damnation, it's likely the best thrash album in years.