Greatest Hits: Back To The Start review by Megadeth

• Released: Jun 28, 2005
Megadeth: Greatest Hits: Back To The Start

This was literally (and unfortunately) the first full-length Megadeth album I bought & heard; and consequently got me heavily into the band. Lots of great guitar work of course, which are only the really impressive elements of 'Deth. However, everything is in such good sync, that you can't help but love the overall style of them. From the thrashy guitar solos, to Dave's distinctive vocals, I think Megadeth's choice of songs on this compilation were really good. The tunes on this album range from the earliest to some of the latest Megadeth tunes, which range from a very rough-sounding, old-school thrash sound ( la "Kill 'Em All" by Metallica) up to a really refined heavy metal sound. Lots of great riffage present as well, involving syncopation, chromatics and even dissonant note selections at times, it just can't be beat in my opinion. And of course, solos from the likes of Chris Poland, Jeff Young & arguably one of the greatest guitarists ever (at least within the thrash/shred genres): Marty Friedman.

Dave Mustaine has always been renowned for his guitar work of course, but his vocals aren't half bad. He doesn't have an operatic range in he least, but he is an excellent lyricist; songs like "Peace Sells" and "Symphony Of Destruction" etc... are greatly political and therefore really speak to the general public and society. A lot of the lyrics are very meaningful and heartfelt for the most part and really carry imporatant messages which can often make you think (in the case of "A Tout Le Monde"). Dave Mustaine has really made a name for himself in terms of "sticking it to the man" and "revolting against society" over the years, starting from the very begining of his career with Megadeth, dubbed "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good." Few lyricists can come up with effective lyrics of this kind, but Dave really pulls it off.

Being the first real taste of Megadeth I received, this really left an impression on me. However, this album seems to work as a teaser of some kind. A few of my favourite Megadeth songs don't even appear on this album, and in order to really get to know Megadeth, you'd have to explore a lot of their albums from the past. My favourite songs on this particular album however are "Hangar 18", "A Tout Le Monde" & "Skin Of My Teeth". Also, I can't seem to get enough of "She-Wolf". A lot of the songs are really great though, so the whole album is really an investment; especially if you want to explore the sounds of Megadeth without buying like, 9 to 10 albums trying to find the best era of theirs (each of which are very easy to pin-point through this album). One thing I must say (negatively) about this album is that after getting into earlier releases of theirs, I was disappointed to find out that some songs appeared on this album that it could have done without & others didn't that should have; but then again, that's what a "teaser album" seems to do anyways. If I lost this album, I wouldn't replace it; I'd buy all the other Megadeth albums instead!

Wardster wrote: Deth own metallica
    depends what songs & era of Metallica ur talking about imo. But I know what u mean...
    Metallicam
    Hahahaha, Sweaty Bullets... Anyways, great album. I have no problem with any of the songs on there, a disc can only hold so many songs. I was looking for more songs from Hidden Treasures becaus ethat album is a bitch to find, but what can you do?
    Shreddin 4 Life
    I was really surprised that Tornado Of Souls didn't make the list (along with a coupla other tunes) but the list is pretty awesome just the same
    BlindKoRnKid603
    see, i liked A Tout Le Monde and Trust. They're good for when you're in relationship trouble. And Prince Of Darkness...i never translated that as a alcoholism song. I mean, you could say that it is, but you have to admit that it is a bit of a stretch of the imagination. Kids like me in a band could play that for a bunch of other kids in a crowd and they can say "THAT'S BADASS!" No messages of the dangers of alcohol in there to us minors.
    Shreddin 4 Life
    I dunno, a lot of Dave's tunes have been quite symbolic/metaphorical from what I can tell but I do agree that that particular tune doesn't really translate to an alcoholism message
    IronMaiden8991
    Wardster wrote: Deth own metallica I agree, they're both rele good bands, but megadeth's simply the the most original and best thrash band out there (except for maybe Slayer)
    IronMaiden8991
    As far as Prince of Darkness goes, w/e the message behind the lyrics is, all i care about is tht it's one badass song.