Greatest Hits: Back To The Start review by Megadeth

• Released: Jun 28, 2005
Megadeth: Greatest Hits: Back To The Start

Wow. That's the first word I thought of when I first listened to this CD. Sometimes greatest hits CDs suck, but this is a really good CD, especially if you've never listened to Megadeth before. You're immediately introduced to the type of music you'll hear with "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due". The whole CD is filled with shredding guitar solos and an indescribable edginess. Dave Mustaine is a very talented musician. He is probably the greatest guitarist I've ever heard. Not every song is great on here. Once you get used to the brutality in a few songs, you're going to be caught off guard when they go a little bit softer in songs like "A Tout Le Monde". Altogether, though, the music's pretty awesome stuff.

One of the reasons I started listening to Megadeth is that I heard Dave Mustaine had become a Christian. Some of his lyrics sound like he was looking for God. Others look like he's intent on bashing government. He really wrote thoughtful lyrics, unlike some bands who write drug-induced words or all about girls. There's obviously going to be songs about destruction. It's a metal band. But Dave's very sly about it. He gives his thoughts of what modern government has done to the world. "Symphony of Destruction" is one of those types of songs. One of my favorite lyrics is from "Dread and the Fugitive Mind" where he's portraying someone who knows he's doing evil in the world, and he's questioning whether or not there will be judgement for it in the afterlife. Dave is quite a good singer for this kind of music, too. He's got a voice that's a little rough, but can be highly versatile.

Overall, this is a very good collection of Megadeth's best. Since this is my first taste from this band, I can't tell you what else should or shouldn't be in this list, but I thought that almost every song was good. Almost all of the songs were really good, but my personal favorites were "Dread and the Fugitive Mind", "Hangar 18", and "Symphony Of Destruction". I just love the brutal guitars and countless guitar solos. It's just such a great introduction to Megadeth. If you've never listened to them before, this would be a great place to start.

fritodip
    holy wars has insane guitar work on it and i agree with Shreddin4life it does depend on the era of metallica, their last good album was master of puppets. they basically fell off after they stopped drinking and cliff died.
    not_dead_enough
    One song I was disappointed with that did not get remastered was Mechanix. I was looking for a phone number on the CD to call the producers that they forgot to remaster mechanix or is it just my CD.
    Mechanix WAS remastered. The version on this disc is from the 2002 re-release of Mechanix (as per the booklet with this CD). Great compilation this is! Generally you couldn't really ask for a better 'wide' perspective of Megadeth's career. The only changes I would make would be to include "Reckoning Day" and "A Secret Place", but hey, I realise it was for the better part voted by fans.
    \m/Torin\m/
    great cd. no bad tunes. a tout le monde is a great song but yeah they own metallica =)
    I'm a real boy
    yeah, the only thing that ruins the songs is daves singing, i mean there are tracks like a tout le monde where his singing is great,but aside from that, his singing is bearable on some tracks,like on my all time favourite megadeth song angry again. nuff said(way too much said propably)
    webbtje
    I've actually used some of Megadeth's lyrics in several reports as quotes
    FANBOY.