Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! review by Megadeth

• Released: Jun 12, 1985
Megadeth: Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!

When Dave got thrown out of Metallica, he as understandably angry. Take this anger, Dave's obsession with being the "loudest, fastest, and baddest," and his need for revenge against his former band mates and you get "Killing is My Business... And Business is Good!" (KIMBABIG), one of the rawest and meanest works of music around. Mustaine and Poland are solo machines, and their riff work is amazing. Poland is a unique player because of an accident that occurred in his childhood that ripped a tendon in his hand. This means his finger have an amazing reach, and that means he can play notes that are further away from each other (which is great for soloing, mind you). Ellefson (bass guitar) does an above average job with the bass. He even does some small solo work. What I really find amazing about KIMBABIG musically is Gar Samuelson's drumming. His jazz influences show clearly in this recording. He does great keeping time, and he does an awesome job at fills. Even though I love his work in all of the tracks, his work with the "Mechanix" and "Rattlehead" stand out to me. Overall, KIMBABIG is amazing musically.

The lyrics on KIMBABIG do not deal with one subject in particular, but seem to be more erratic in style. However, two tracks ("The Skull Beneath the Skin" and "Rattlehead") deal with the band's mascot, Vic Rattlehead. I believe that the best songs lyrically would either have to be "Looking Down the Cross" or "The Skull Beneath the Skin." THe title track has some interesting lyrics too. The weakest songs lyrically would have to be either the "Mechanix" or "Last Rites/Loved to Deth." Mustaine's vocal style (at this point in Megadeth's history) fits very well with the music on KIMBABIG. Even though he isn't themost talented singer ever, he does make it work.

I think KIMGABIG is the best debut album out of the Big 4 of Thrash. My favorite songs would have to "The Skull Beneath the Skin," the "Mechanix," and the "Chosen Ones." I find the piano in "Last Rites" very interesting, and it sounds very close to a Bach composition (yes, Mustaine knows how to rock the piano). I love the intensity, aggression, speed of the album. It is truly one of the best ever.

DenHond
    skull beneath the skin is really one of their best songs... even one of the best thrash metal songs ever !!!
    Busproof
    Easily one of the best thrash metal albums ever. It blows Metallica's debut away on so many levels (still, Kill Em All was alright in its own way). Long Live Megadeth!
    Silas S Thompso
    I know why this album is so awsome. Dave had time to write awesome songs in Metallica. So when he left he had all that experience