Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! review by Megadeth

• Released: Jun 12, 1985
Megadeth: Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!

Megadeth really hits the thrash metal sound on the head with this album, as well as throws in some surprise elements. It hits hard, fast, and loud, despite the production and budget issues. You can catch hints of both Poland's and Samuelson's jazz backgrounds on the albums, especially in Gar's drumming on tracks like Mechanix and Rattlehead. Also, the use of two guitarists trading solos, with plenty of tap work going on is a nice touch that adds to the overall speed and aggression of the album.

The lyrics, to me, seem like the typical thrash metal lyrical content. The album doesn't focus on a single topic, but rather, a list of various topics, most of which have a dark, angry characteristic to them. Mustaine's voice stands out though, as his tone matches both the lyrical content, and the overall sound, very metal. You can feel the anger and rage in his vocals, and the lyrics, while typical for thrash metal, do paint pretty detailed images. Lyrics range from the death of christ, to Megadeth's mascot Vic Rattlehead, to a horny mechanic. it's varied, but seems pretty typical, with many songs bearing topics relative to death. Still, the lyrics are alright and the vocals shine.

Killing is My Business... is my favorite of the Big Four's debut albums, as well as personal Megadeth favorite. it's both faster and heavier than Metallica's Kill Em All, and Mustaine outshines Hetfield in the vocal and rhythm department compared to their debut. I love the overall anger of it. The dark tone, combined with the fast riffs and trade solos, as well as Ellefson's bass work, make it a staple metal album that I think everyone should own, or at least give a listen to.