Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! review by Megadeth

• Released: Jun 12, 1985
Megadeth: Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!

"Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!" is Megadeth's first album and is by far their rawest album. 01. "Last Rites/Loved To Deth": My favorite of the album. It has this nice piano intro with bass and guitar, and then "Loved To Deth" kicks in with a fast and furious riff by mastermind Mustaine. Highlight of the song: The riff that kicks in after the solo is brutal! 02. "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!": This song is amazing, features both fast and technical riffs with amazing drumming from Gar Samuelson. Highlight of the song: The verses. Try to play that riff while singing if you dare it. 03. "The Skull Beneath The Skin": Features a nice little ascending solo in the beginning of the song. It is a slower song but one of the most technical of the album. Highlight of the song: The intro is really nice, but the best part of the song is the lyrics. 04. "Rattlehead": I think it is the fastest song on the album, with amazing drumming and riffing everywhere. It also has a nice breakdown near the 2/3 mark of the song, and goes back to crazy speed/thrash metal riffing. Full of crazy solos. Highlight of the song: The solos. Enough said. 05. "Chosen One": My least favorite song on this album, but very good nonetheless since I like every single Megadeth song. What's nice with this song is that it speeds up all the freaking time! The little bass solo near the end is a nice touch too. Highlight of the song: Ellefson's bass solo is a really nice touch to the song. 06. "Looking Down The Cross": Starts with this really weird guitar intro that builds up until it kicks in with a really... funky(?) riff which is really surprising compared to the rest of the songs. Highlight of the song: The intro is straight up creepy. 07. "Mechanix": Megadeth's version of Metallica's "The Four Horsemen". It has a different intro, different lyrics, doesn't have the middle bridge section and is way, WAY faster. What could you expect from Mustaine at that time, other than raw riffing? Highlight of the song: the intro is a really nice add and starts the song less abruptly. 08. "These Boots" (bonus song): On the original version of the album, "These Boots" is an awesome song. On the remastered version, it is very bad. It is a cover of Lee Hazlewood's "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" but with crude lyrics. On the remastered version, most of the lyrics are censored. The production also makes this album very raw, although it might take some time to get used to if you like the newer Megadeth.

Lyrics on this album taks about love, killing and death (mostly), the band itself, a horny mechanic, Megadeth's mascot Vic Rattlehead and religion. This was before the days of Mustaine's controversial comments on politics, where he was singing about killing and death (well he did say that he wanted blood - THEIRS [talking about Metallica] so I guess it was what just spawned into his mind at the moment of writing these lyrics). All in all, these are not the best lyrics ever but they are still nice.

This album is nothing like their other albums, I think it is not even comparable with their follow-up album, "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" in terms of songwriting. This album is their rawest, fastest and most violent album they ever released. Is it their best? No, but it's pretty darn up in my top list. My favorite are "Last Rites/Loved To Death" and "Looking Down The Cross," I just love the rawness of "Last Rites" and the kind of spooky atmosphere in "Looking Down The Cross." If this album was stolen, well, just read Cannibal Corpse's lyrics. They would basically become real.