Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 19, 1986
Megadeth: Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

Megadeth's 'Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?' is, without a doubt, a classic metal CD. It signals a landmark time in trash metal's history, and Megadeth's as well. The overall sound quality production isn't outstanding, but it's good enough. Sound-wise, the guitars don't sound as chunky or heavy as on 'Rust In Peace', but Megadeth's classic tone is still there. Also, the bass is audible, which is great to hear, especially in the title track. Generally, the sound production ain't superb, but what makes this album great is the catchiness and quality of the songs. Some of Megadeth's best solos and riffs are featured on this release, making it a must-have for any 'Deth fan.

The lyrics on this album are quite varied, but mainly with dark themes. Songs like 'The Conjuring' and 'I Ain't Superstitious' typically talk about semi-occult type subject matter, though as is usual for Megadeth, there is one politically-minded song on this album (the title track). The lyrics aren't outstaning, but they're not bad, and are some of Mustaine's better creative work. The vocals, well, as is usually the case with Megadeth, you'll probably either love them or hate them. Mustaine sounds okay on this record, but if you're looking for a more matured, stronger sound, check out his work on 'Rust In Peace', 'Countdown To Extinction', or even 'The System Has Failed'.

Overall, it's not a perfect album, but it's a good one. If you like thrash, or 80's metal, you will most definitely get a kick out of this release. The great thing about it is that it's quite varied: you see Megadeth's melodic side on 'Good Mourning/Black Friday', their NWOBHM and speed metal influences on 'My Last Words', their mainstream appeal on the title song, and even some classic rock inspiration on 'I Ain't Superstitious'. And let's not forget the sheer awesomeness of 'Wake Up Dead' and 'The Conjuring', two classic metal songs. This is not an album to be missed, so check it out if you have not done so.

Big Tommy P
    My Last Words is definatley the best song on the album, the lyrics are original, and Dave's solo is omnipotent: the sheer speed and agility displayed is phonomenal. Good Mourning is also a**kicking, not so much Black Friday, but the Chris Poland's solo in Gool Mourning displays his best work with deth. And of course, the title track, the first deth song i heard (thank you Grand Theft Auto: Vice City)
    The*Reaper
    80's metallica shits all over megadeth
    Mustaine was with Metallica up until Ride The Lightning which is a kick ass CD
    South-of-Heaven
    Goddamn you. If it weren't for Metallica, there would be no Megadeth. Megadeth and Metallica are the same where brilliance is concerned, so stop battling over who is best, you tits.
    dio_dude
    80's metallica shits all over megadeth! But I would have to agree that megadeth are more consistent with good albums.
    ChaosA.D.am
    Yeah, and there would be no Megadeth if he hadn't been kicked out. Dave's a front man.
    bassplayer496
    I'm sorry, but Metallica is really so much better than Megadeth. I mean, I like both bands, but Megadeth's just not even in the same league. And also, I'm not saying this as an insult, but why are megadeth called thrash? There's honestly nothing thrash about them...but yes, I also must admit, I'm not a fan of Mustaines vocals. ~Love, Dallas~
    \m/Torin\m/
    ZarDac : that bass intro in the song Peace sells was used in the MTV news broadcast that came every ten to the hour every hour. Thats pretty interssting, megadeth owns!!!
    ZarDac
    bassplayer496
    But whatever, it's an opinion and I really don't care which band you think is better. They're both awesome. ~Love, Dallas~
    melowar
    I can tell that alot of the comments above are made by teenie weenies but I digress. PSBWB is one of the genres prestige releases just like the other 3 of the first 4 Megadeth lp's. Just the complete package some of the best riffs/solos put to tape. I see alot of complaints about Dave's singing but speaking for me I think his voice is one of the best and unique. His subject matter is all over place, often toungue-in-cheek humor/cynicism, political and even at times macabre. Both Metallica and Megadeth classic albums are just that "classic" and equally good but different. Metallica had the epic vibe to them, Megadeth being more edgy and technical. Both bands change their styles in the 90's for more commercial success. I would recommend PSBWB or RIP to anyone who hasn't ever heard Megadeth before. PSBWB being more heavy, and RIP being more technical and finesse.
    Busproof
    Yeah, I gotta say I agree with melowar for the most part. While I prefer Megadeth, both Metallica and Megadeth have releases worth mention, so it just isn't a simple "Metallica Sucks" or "Megadeth blows" for me :/
    ken20008
    megadeth and metallica are both unique bands with different styles of thrash....the Big Four have and will always have very different interpretations of the genre. This album is awesome, very good for a chill out.
    guitarfreak222
    ironmaiden1 wrote: 80smetalpro0987 wrote: i hate metallica with a passion for kicking dave mustaine out of metallica why? if they hadnt there would be no megadeth!
    hey good point. megadeth are awesome and metallica are awesome too but megadeth is waaaaay better than metallica now but megadeth aint in the same league as the old metallica stuff.
    Bongard
    y is it that on a megadeth review it allways ends up talking about metallica megadeth is and allways better than metallica
    ironmaiden1
    why? if they hadnt there would be no megadeth!
    British_Steal
    Actually wake up dead is my favorite song on that album. I really like it. hearing that song is what made me buy it. Megadeth > Metallica
    Horvat
    Damn. I accidently wrote 'trash' instead of 'thrash' in my review. Ah well. Megadeth kicks ass...