Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 19, 1986
Megadeth: Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

This album is Megadeth's magnum opus. Surely one of the most amazing metal masterworks of all time, it begins with the growling thrasher "Wake Up Dead". Which melts into the somewhat magical deathride "The Conjuring". "Peace Sells" starts with one of the most amazing bass/kick-drum beatings ever made. "Devil's Island" shows off an extremely prominent solo. "Good Mourning/Black Friday" is one of the most beautiful-to-brutal songs ever created. "Bad Omen" is arguably dispensable, as awesome as the bass line sounds. Megadeth also threw a cover of "I Ain't Superstitious" in, which actually turned out pretty well. The album ultimately ends up with "My Last Words" which flashes how prominent all of the band members are with their instruments. Gar Samuelson's pounding drum work provides a base for the album. David Ellefson proves that he has enough chops to battle with any metal bassist of his time and gives our album the perfect structure of a Metal Monster worthy of legend! Dave Mustaine's snarling vocals and extreme crunch-punch guitar work tops the album off with an bit of good ol' thrash metal goodness. And the cherry on top is provided by Chris Polland, whose solos truly give the album it's angry face.

I'm very impressed with the lyrics, Mustaine knows how to get people excited. My favorite song for the lyrics is definitely "Good Mourning/Black Friday". They're incredibly brutal-licious!! As for signing skills, what can I say? Dave Mustaine is just as good a singer (if not better) than any other thrash/speed/awesome metal band out there.

As I've said before, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? is Megadeth's master-piece. It's Megadeth's "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". Every song steps out in its own way, and no matter how you look at it, Megadeth have truly been at the top of their game for most of their lives, unlike some thrash bands. (Looking at you, Metallica). My only beef with this album is the lack of diversity between songs. But who's complaining? Not me, that's for sure. In the end, if you're a newcomer to metal music, I highly suggest you pick up this album, no matter what kind of music you started with... Wait... Unless it's bubble pop. This isn't for Nickelback and Saving Abel fans. Peace out, Selig.

queenslander47
    Everybody always shits all over dave because of his voice. I personally love his voice and prefer it over Hetfield's and Araya's.
    he's better than Araya. But come on, hetfield's vocals destroy mustaine's. this is a sweet album, the guitar work of megadeth never ceases to entertain me. brilliant stuff
    Creepingdeth66
    I still have yet to own this album, but I've listened to it many times and I could say this is easily one of, if not my favorite Megadeth album. As for everyone arguing about Megadeth vs. Metallica, just get over it and listen to both of them. They are both very good bands, and it's a shame that the artists have put the past behind them but the fans won't.
    Gcwarrior
    Metal_Militia2 wrote: Just bought this album, it aint bad but How can you say these guys are better than Metallica?????
    Because we aren't metallifags that think that Metallica is the greatest band evar.
    iKill_Audio!
    I really like this album. I'm not really going t5o comment on Metallica vs. Megadeth, but I will say this: On the writer's credits for Kill em all and Ride the Lightning you will see alot of "/Mustaine"'s so you have to give him some credit from a Metallica standpoint. I think they kicked Mustaine out just simply for ego problems because, seriously, what's more bogus than being kicked out of a band once nicknamed "Alcoholica" for having a drinking problem? They all had drinking problems and, if Mustaine had stayed a part of Metallica, there probably would have been a nuclear war anyway. "I'm out to destroy and I will cut you down!"
    ChriscoliC
    It speaks the truth. Peace Sells is probably the sexiest intro you will ever hear in your life.