Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 19, 1986
Megadeth: Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

This is the 25th Anniversary remastered edition of Megadeth's acclaimed 1986 "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" album. I treated myself with the 5 CD, 3 LP box-set rather than the 2 CD version which is also available. The 5 CDs contain: 1. The 2011 Remaster of the original album. 2. The remixed version of the album from 2004. 3. The real original version: the one produced and mixed by Randy Burns, supposed to be released under Combat Records. 4. A previously unreleased concert from 1987 at the Phantasy Theatre in Cleveland 5. Hi-res (24 bit/96k).WAV versions of Discs 1 and 4. The three LPs contain Discs one and four (spread over 2 LPs) on vinyl. But truth be told, I hear very little difference (a few different effects here and there, guitars/vocals boosted or lowered down a bit at some points) between the 2011 Remaster and the original record. Same goes for the 2004 remixed version. Yet that does not make these CDs sound bad. But I had higher expectations of a "remaster" The Randy Burns remixed are a different story though. You hear a little less of the guitars, but the bass, drums and vocals are more pronounced on these mixes. It makes me wonder why Megadeth found it not worthy to be released, because it sounds great to me. The live concert CD generally sounds pretty good too, but at sometimes plain awful. But that has more to do with the concert itself (equipment failure, Dave not even singing his lines etc.) than with the recording and producing of it. Obviously the Hi-res versions of disc one and four have a higher sound quality and that's it. The three LPs sound amazing. I even prefer listening to the live concert on vinyl that from my CD player. To me it shows that vinyl still is a great way to listen to music to. Overall sound: excellent, but I had expected a more distinctive sound, especially from the 2011 Remaster. Hence it scores a bit lower than I would like to give it.

The lyrics are the same as they were 25 years ago. The songs are still about cheating husbands, ill-fated cultists and merciless butchers who live underground. Dave Mustaine's way of song writing come down to preference. Same goes for his singing. He's not an amazing singer, but I've heard worse.

Aside from the CDs and LPs, the box-set contains: A booklet with, aside from the lyrics and liner nots, lots of press and live photos, two flyers used to promote Megadeth gigs, and a reprinted ticket for a concert from 1987. This all comes in a large box with a 3D version of the front, and all CDs, LPs and above mentioned photos/flyers come in newly created artwork of Vic Rattlehead and his "For Sale" sign. It's nice to look at for a couple of minutes but that's about it. One other major drawback about this box-set is, that to my likings, it does not provide as much "new" material as one would expect/hope to get for the price it asks. If you did not already own a copy of "PS... BHB?" I would not hesitate and get this box-set. If you do, I would get the 2 CD version, which contains just the 2011 Remaster and the 1987 live concert.

Romper Stomper
    SGofawesome wrote: Metal_Militia2 wrote: Just bought this album, it aint bad but How can you say these guys are better than Metallica?????Go pick up Rust in Peace. Honestly, I love Megadeth. I like them more than Metallica. But you're crazy to say that Megadeth is better than Metallica. It's ignorant to say. Yeah, Megadeth is a more skilled band, but that doesn't necessarily make them better overall. Metallica is a lot easier to listen to. Their riffs are so structured. And even if they did abandon their thrash roots, they still managed to hit 5 consecutive no.1 albums. And DON'T you go pull the "Dave wrote most of Kill and Ride" card because Metallica wrote Master, Justice, and The Black Album just as easy. I will say I like Megadeth more. But to say they're better than Metallica? Come on guys, be logical and get off the hate train.
    Obvious Fanboy is obvious.
    christhehammett
    Peace Sells is my favorite album of all time. This is coming from someone who is not a fan boy and listens to music from Pink Floyd to Slipknot.
    formit