Risk review by Megadeth

• Released: Aug 18, 1999
Megadeth: Risk

I think the sound on this album is really impressive, it is clear sounding and the way the vocals are recorded is great, on both the Original and the Remaster, a very strong point for the album.

The lyrics on this album are really impressive, yes they do follow a Megadeth/Dave Mustaine style, and it is expected of him to write lyrics like he did in this album, but they are still amazing. Mustaine has the best voice for music I have heard, even through their older albums to the most recent (The System Has Failed) his voice seems to get better, what a great songwriter and vocalist he is.

This album is very different from all the other Megadeth albums, it obviously has it's own style and if you were to compare it to past albums it wouldn't get anywhere in the "Heavy Music" catagory, but it still delivers as a Risk, if you will. I really enjoy most of the songs on this album, they all have a unique sound, It opens with a violen into the great song "Insomnia" then goes off into "Prince Of Darkness," it starts out really slow and is kind of boring at first but it picks up and just about delivers. After "Prince Of Darkness" is "Enter The Arena," I personally find this "song," if you can call it one, to be pointless and they could have just combined it with the song afterwards, which is "Crush 'Em," this is a song that was ment to be a arena sports song, it is kinda catchy with some nice guitar as well. After that song, comes the almost country sounding "Breadline," it is one of the softer Megadeth songs, which doesn't make it bad, it has great lyrics and a nice sound too it, personally I like it but the average Thrash-Metal "I want another Rust In Peace fan" probably won't enjoy it. Skiping "The Doctor Is Calling" (I find it to be the most boring song on the album), we go into "I'll Be There" which is another soft song with nice lyrics, it kind of makes me want to cry when I am in a sad mood, but when he plays it live it really gets a great response, it's decent but not the best. The rest of the songs don't really stand out as anything different, I do enjoy some of them, but the average Metal fan wouldn't. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again, I think it is worth it and has some really creative material on it. For someone who is wanting to give Megadeth a try I wouldn't reccomend this, you should start from earlier works (such as "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" and "Rust In Peace," when you start to gain respect for the music Dave makes then you should move on to this, it doesn't get the best reviews and is probably the most under-rated Megadeth album of all time, most fans didn't like it, but you may want to give it a try.

Boooonnngggggg9
    I cant belive no one likes Prince of Darkness I ****ing love that song, it builds you up so much and it has the classic Megadeth feel like peace sells. You ppl smoke to much dope
    not_dead_enough
    One of the most underrated albums ever, this is in my opinion in the same order of magnitude as most Megadeth releases (and also in my opinion not necessarily their worst effort). It takes more than one listen to fully appreciate it, although I did from the start. Just goes to show that metal bands make better Alternative Rock than Alternative Rock bands do!
    Skiping "The Doctor Is Calling" (I find it to be the most boring song on the album)...
    Now THAT is something I whole-heartedly disagree with. It is my favourite track off Risk (as well as everyone else i've shown the album to).
    The*Reaper
    Please people relax for a moment and forget and forget they always need to be the fastest heavy-trash metal machine...
    NOBODY CALLS MEGADETH FUCKIN TRASH METAL
    IainDavies_2
    I've only heard Crush'em which was a drastic change in style but if they hadn't released the more commercial albums like youthanasia, cryptic writings, and the world needs a hero, we wouldn't have appreciated THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED, and UNITED ABOMINATIONS because we've been waiting for UN. AB. for ages and it's hear and we love it, well at least i do.
    BlisteringDDj
    If you don't compare this album to the other Megadeth albums(Except of TWNAH), it's VERY GOOD! All of the songs are amazing imo, and I'm a real thrash metal addict.
    Busproof
    When I got it, it was disappointing at first, but, when you don't try to compare it to album staples like Rust in Peace, its not too bad.