Risk review by Megadeth

• Released: Aug 31, 1999
Megadeth: Risk

This is a different sound for thrash-pioneers Megadeth. Featuring a more melodic and slower sound, as well as clearer and catchier lyrics, it's definately not what most fans expected. This is the last album featuring guitar-virtuoso Marty Friedman, as well as the last record featuring long time drummer Nick Menza. it's evolves on the premise of Cryptic Writings, holding catchier vocals, and a more filed down and radio friendly rock sound compared to other critical releases in Megadeth's career. Marty's influence, as well as the producer's, influence on the album is obvious with newer elements implented such as minor electronica and disco influences, as well as country influences, within the music. it's a different sound for Megadeth, which, while in itself is disappointing for fans of the Countdown to Extinction era and prior, is not, as a whole, a bad effort.

Vocally, Dave shows different side of himself with more high pitched and typically radio rock work and less of his characteristic growls and anger. While the vocals are something that fans could potentially enjoy, however, lyrically I think the albums lacks a bit. it's still Dave's work, you can tell, but it just doesn't seem to meld well with the new radio rock friendly sound. Songs like Prince of Darkness hold that infamous dark tone that Megadeth is known for, but instrumentally feels hollow, to me at least. Like I said before, it's a different direction for the band, and while a good effort, I feel it falls short a bit.

Its an alright album overall. It falls short of certain levels, and of course, being a fan of Megadeth's earlier work, it strikes a disappointing chord with me. It's not a bad album, but it's not a great album either. Songs like Breadline and Time: The Beginning shine vocally, and songs like Crush Em do carry extremely catchy and singable choruses, however, I feel this album just doesn't live up to the name of Megadeth. If it was stolen or lost, I'd replace it, simply because I own all the albums, and still appreciate it from time to time, but it definately wouldn't be high on my priority list.

SirWurscht
    Risk is an awesome album! Okay, it's not Rust in Peace or Peace Sells, but when you forget that Megadeth is/was a thrash band then you have beatiful songs with beautiful vocal lines (Breadline, I'll be there, Time, Ecstasy). It makes me sick how so many metalheads are so closed-minded and cannot enjoy good music!
    BaptizedinFire
    With this album, poppier equals better. Breadline and I'll Be There are fantastic songs, and shockingly, Dave even sings really good!
    Creepingdeth66
    Dave Mustaine has always said that if the band name wasn't Megadeth, people would have liked it a lot more. There is too much comparing to Megadeth's more thrash albums. I haven't listened to the whole thing, I thought the songs I heard were cool, but I personally am a bigger fan of "Peace Sells...But Whose Buying?".
    polytriplica
    Oh, and Friedman was not fired. He quit the band because he decided that he could not fully express himself while still in the band. Mustaine didn't kick his ass out cause he was a wuss or a mainstream punk.
    Camron62\m/
    SGofawesome wrote: hawkdude9 wrote: DroogieSteve wrote: I suppose every great band has to have at least 1 total failure... cept for the beatles...oh wait that was yoko ono nvm Where does the ****ing beatles come in to this?
    Dave Mustaine actually claimed the Beatles as an influence while recording this record.
    CannonsAhoy
    This is an AMAZING album! I love the poppy Megadeth as much as I do the thrashy Megadeth and fans of the former should love Risk. However it's very different from their other albums and that's the point really.
    hawkdude9
    cept for the beatles...oh wait that was yoko ono nvm
    SGofawesome
    Where does the ****ing beatles come in to this?
    polytriplica
    The point is, you're supposed to compare it to other albums by the band to tell if it's any good. You don't compare albums by a band to anything else unless you are debating which BAND is better. In the overall scheme of music, Risk was still written by Megadeth and is still worth listening to. BUT, it was a major disappointment compared to the works of Megadeth in the past, and the works since then have improved on the mistakes made. It was a learning point, one Megadeth and their fans won't soon forget.
    Camron62\m/
    Pus_Head wrote: The*Reaper wrote: Please people relax for a moment and forget and forget they always need to be the fastest heavy-trash metal machine... NOBODY CALLS MEGADETH FUCKIN TRASH METAL Dude, calm down he meant thrash metal which is a genre Megadeth used to be.
    used to be? where have you been the last decade?? they're as amazing now as they were 20 years ago!
    Pus_Head
    Dude, calm down he meant thrash metal which is a genre Megadeth used to be.