Rude Awakening [DVD] review by Megadeth

• Released: Apr 9, 2002
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
Megadeth: Rude Awakening [DVD]

The DVD sounds very good, of course the fact it was made in a closed and relatively small space really helps, I think. Selection of songs is wise, from every Megadeth album (except "Risk"), made by the fans via the Net. Very nice and strong versions of "Devil's Island" and "Hook In Mouth," songs that Megadeth doesn't play very often. The line-up fits well, and Jimmy DeGrasso shows off his skills, which seem to be better than Nick Menza (I've seen them live in Argentina with the previous line-up), also Al Pitrelli really lives up to the shoes he filled. Nice and constant play of lights, to the point it was maybe too much production for this raw band. Everyone playing their instruments very well, but Mustaine voice can irritate someone who's not a fan, and in "Devil's Island" I must confess he really sings bad (something wrong about the tone he sings, I think too high compared to the original version).

Content — 9
The DVD features the show (my copy didn't have "Train Of Consequences," "A Tout Le Monde" and "Almost Honest," but I don't know if the original includes it, as mencioned in the cover)and some features like the group talking about the music, the new integrants, etc, and images from the crowd, and a great review some writer made about their last album. The show includes a great solo by both Mustaine and Pitrelli, followed by a solid (though a little repetitive) solo from drummer DeGrasso, in the middle of "she-wolf") There're some modifications in songs like "Symphony Of Destruction" and "Sweating Bullets."

Production Quality — 8
High quality in every sense (sound, lights, cameras), the camera really catches the gestures and faces from Mustaine, that sometimes fit so well to the part he sings. The bass sound should be louder, its hardly noticeable.

A really good show from a very good and professional band, guided by a really legend in thrash metal in Dave Mustaine, who shows how much better and faster guitar player he is compared to James Hetfield (and much more complete in every sense), the only point where Hetfield can beat him is in the voice. My preferences go to the great solos in the middle of "She-Wolf," and to the solid versions of "The Mechanix," "Devil's Island," "Hook In Mouth"; I really would buy it again if stolen/lost.

greenhell1
    -Rock-N'-Roll-
    greenhell1 wrote: Everone always goes on about how the dvd is missing some tracks shown on the back cover eg Kill The King. They are in the extras filmed in the crappy black & white.
    eww