Rude Awakening [DVD] review by Megadeth

• Released: Apr 9, 2002
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Megadeth: Rude Awakening [DVD]

This is the live DVD recorded in Arizona with the "The World Needs a Hero" lineup back in 2001 by thrash metal band Megadeth. At the time of this recording, Megadeth had released nine albums, each of which several songs were pulled from and played during this concert. Originally, this DVD was meant to have been recorded in Buenos Aires, but that idea fell through when the 9/11 terrorist attacks took place. That aside, metal fans can find a bit of everything in Megadeth's catalogue, from finger blistering, anti-political thrash metal, all the way to sootheing and self-reflective radio-friendly pieces. There's many different sounds for many different eras in the bands career, so all metal fans are bound to find a sound they like, so long as they can tolerate vocalist Dave Mustaine's growl (and sometimes) whine.

Content — 9
The concert featured on this DVD features song content ranging from the bands first release (Killing is My Business... ) all the way through to their newest release at the time of recording, The World Needs a Hero. The setlist is lengthy, featuring 19 tracks, as well as 5 tracks as a bonus feature. Fan favorites such as Holy Wars and Hangar 18 can be found here, as well as older tracks you never see played live anymore like Hook in Mouth and Devil's Island. There's a good mix of material from the many different eras in the bands history, with thrash metal medly's like Wake Up Dead and In My Darkest Hour as well as hard rock favorites such as A Tout Le Monde and Angry Again. There's a bit of something for everyone here.

Production Quality — 10
The production quality is ace. I saw and heard no problems with the camera work or recording itself. The sound was very clear, as well as picture. The camera angles were far from boring and repetitive, and the stage work with lighting was simply amazing. I didn't see any flaws in the production.

It's a very impressive live DVD by a very impressive band. The setlist is monstrous, and bound to please any Megafan with it's era hopping characteristics. This lineup didn't slaughter any of the songs either, with fan favorites being revitalized on stage for newer fans to enjoy. It lacks a bit in special features, but with this much standard content, who needs extras? I would highly recommend this to any Megadeth fan, as it's an amazing concert bound to please the most discriminating of fans. As for non-megafans, it's all a matter of personal preference. There's a lot to see here for those just learning about the band, and thrash metal enthuasists will find some stuff here to wet their pallete. Definately worth the money to purchase in my opinion.