Rude Awakening [DVD] Review

artist: Megadeth date: 12/11/2008 category: compact discs
Megadeth: Rude Awakening [DVD]
Release Date: April 9, 2002
Shot in the fall of 2001 on the group's final tour, Megadeth's Rude Awakening catches a seminal metal band at the top of its game. Although references to the then-recent terrorist events are rare, they instill songs like "In My Darkest Hour," "Symphony Of Destruction," and "Peace Sells" with an undercurrent of bitterness, laced with the anger that's already there.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 9
 8.6
 8.9
 8.2
Rude Awakening [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 03, 2006

Sound: The DVD sounds very good, of course the fact it was made in a closed and relatively small space really helps, I think. Selection of songs is wise, from every Megadeth album (except "Risk"), made by the fans via the Net. Very nice and strong versions of "Devil's Island" and "Hook In Mouth," songs that Megadeth doesn't play very often. The line-up fits well, and Jimmy DeGrasso shows off his skills, which seem to be better than Nick Menza (I've seen them live in Argentina with the previous line-up), also Al Pitrelli really lives up to the shoes he filled. Nice and constant play of lights, to the point it was maybe too much production for this raw band. Everyone playing their instruments very well, but Mustaine voice can irritate someone who's not a fan, and in "Devil's Island" I must confess he really sings bad (something wrong about the tone he sings, I think too high compared to the original version). // 8

Overall Impression: A really good show from a very good and professional band, guided by a really legend in thrash metal in Dave Mustaine, who shows how much better and faster guitar player he is compared to James Hetfield (and much more complete in every sense), the only point where Hetfield can beat him is in the voice. My preferences go to the great solos in the middle of "She-Wolf," and to the solid versions of "The Mechanix," "Devil's Island," "Hook In Mouth"; I really would buy it again if stolen/lost. // 8

Rude Awakening [DVD] Reviewed by: Busproof, on december 11, 2008

Sound: This is the live DVD recorded in Arizona with the "The World Needs a Hero" lineup back in 2001 by thrash metal band Megadeth. At the time of this recording, Megadeth had released nine albums, each of which several songs were pulled from and played during this concert. Originally, this DVD was meant to have been recorded in Buenos Aires, but that idea fell through when the 9/11 terrorist attacks took place. That aside, metal fans can find a bit of everything in Megadeth's catalogue, from finger blistering, anti-political thrash metal, all the way to sootheing and self-reflective radio-friendly pieces. There's many different sounds for many different eras in the bands career, so all metal fans are bound to find a sound they like, so long as they can tolerate vocalist Dave Mustaine's growl (and sometimes) whine. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a very impressive live DVD by a very impressive band. The setlist is monstrous, and bound to please any Megafan with it's era hopping characteristics. This lineup didn't slaughter any of the songs either, with fan favorites being revitalized on stage for newer fans to enjoy. It lacks a bit in special features, but with this much standard content, who needs extras? I would highly recommend this to any Megadeth fan, as it's an amazing concert bound to please the most discriminating of fans. As for non-megafans, it's all a matter of personal preference. There's a lot to see here for those just learning about the band, and thrash metal enthuasists will find some stuff here to wet their pallete. Definately worth the money to purchase in my opinion. // 10

Comments