Rust in Peace review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 21, 1990
Megadeth: Rust in Peace

Firstly I'd like to say that megadeth at this point in their career seemed unstoppable. With another 3 classic releases before this thrash metal fans we're expecting a lot from thsi and Megadeth didn't fail. The sound on this is brilliant except in the demos where the instruments aren't balanced brilliantly (especially the bass). But on the actual album you can hear every instrument perfectly. The drum kit used has a great sound and the guitars have a nice crunchy tone. Dave's vocals we're at his peak on this album aswell so everything sounds good. This is also the first album to include the best Megadeth line up ever. This is Dave Mustaine, Merty Friedman on guitars, Dave Eleffson on bass and Nick Menza on drums. No band can compare to this line up and the album is 100% pure thrash.

The lyrics on this are fantastic, mainly about politics and they make sense. I'm sick of people saying that all metal songs are about death and killing but thats not thrash, thrash usually has good lyrical topics (Not just headbanging and leather i.e. early Metallica). Holy wars is about holy wars but when it breaks down into the punishment due it's about the marvel action hero the punisher. Hangar 18 is about alien life forms and government conspiracies. The rest of the lyrics are just stabbing at the government. However I don't have a clue what dawn patrol is about. A waste of disk space or an intro into the title track. Well you decide. As I said before Mustaines vocals are his best on this album!

Their best album. 'Nuff said. I would kill somebody if they had the onyl copy on earth and take it for my own. It's worth every penny.