Rust in Peace review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 21, 1990
Megadeth: Rust in Peace

An excellent album in the world that is metal. RIP is an absolutely classic album, and arguably the best Megadeth album: Great guitar riffs, lots of solos, political lyrics. All factors that make an absolutely incredible album in my opinion. Marty Friedman really shines lead-wise on this album, but also, Megadeth's style changed drastically on this effort--for the better! A lot of the songs on RIP have a very progressive approach to them, as opposed to the basic thrash elements that they became famous for in the first place. And apparently, it seems to be the main attraction to this album, as well as the neo-classical touch added; probably coutesy of Marty Friedman due to his work with Jason Becker in "Cacophony" & of course his solo albums as well. All in all, a killer album (with the exception of one song). Furthermore, I've got the remastered version which has the first ever realeasing of alternate versions of the title track, "Take No Prisoners" & "Holy Wars"; all featuring Chris Poland on guitars, which give an interesting contrast to earlier rehearsals of the tunes!

Dave shines as usual, singing about very political issues such as war ("Rust In Peace... Polaris" & "Dawn Patrol" etc) and all kinds of mystical juju ("Five Magics" and "Lucretia," if I'm not mistaken). As usual though, the vocals themselves aren't amazing or spectacular in any way, but the lyrics themselves are so interesting at most times that you can't help but sit back and enjoy the whole thing.

Like I mentioned above, this is definitely one of Megadeth's best albums (and my personal favourite). RIP is full of classic tracks and is a must-have for any (thrash) metal fan; and of course any Megadeth fan. The best tunes are definitely "Tornado Of Souls", Hangar 18", "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", "Take No Prisoners", "Five Magics," hell, it's all good. One thing that surprised (and somewhat disappointed) me on this album though is "Dawn Patrol". That particular song is questionable in my opinion, but it seems to serve as a segue for the title track: "Rust In Peace... Polaris", so I suppose no song is out of place on this album! One thing I really love are the extra tunes that were released with this (the remastered) version. Different recordings of songs such as "Holy Wars" & the title track featuring the guitar work of Chris Poland. These offer a cool contrast to the style of Marty Friedman, as well as the old-school approach that Dave used to give to his tunes. Also, another song called "My Creation" was released on it as well; which is apparently about Frankenstein. It's not a particularly interesting piece, but hey: it's still an addition to the album, making it that much more worth your cash at the counter! If RIP were lost or stolen, I'd definitely replace, but I'll probably make a few copies just to make sure I don't lose this one.

Shreddin 4 Life
    I was here wrote: the first guitar solo on holy wars isn't spainsh its an indian, and by indian i mean from india (duh!) guitar called a sitar
    really? isn't it just a nylon-strung guitar?
    seek_&_destroy
    o dear i deserve to be shot, i meant marty friedman of course, they should have edit buttons for these too, i feel guilty doubling
    Metal_Militia2
    I agree with PinkFloyd1965 I hate Dawn Patrol! The song is pointless, and the lyrics in songs like Polaris bother me alittle, otherwise this is a GREAT album
    SOUTHofHEAVEN89
    THIS MEGADETH CD IS PRITTY SICK... HOLYWARS IS A SICK SONG, I LOVE PLAYING IT, THE SPEED IS FUCKIN SICK. SOME OF THE SONGS ON THE CD ARE NOT THAT GREAT BUT MOST ARE BAD ASS
    White And Nerdy
    Man, This CD...Is...Amazing, Holy Wars Is definitly my favorite track on this album, ALL of these songs...are just as amazing. It's scarey how good it is, Marty Friedman + Dave Mustaine=Amazing solo's.