Rust in Peace review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 21, 1990
Megadeth: Rust in Peace

Rust in Peace is hands down the best album by Megadeth. Let me tell you up front that I love each and every one of the other Megadeth albums (with the exception of Risk perhaps) and this is easily the best. Released in 1991 Rust In Peace has gone down in history as one of the best metal albums of all time. Dave Mustaine (lead singer and guitarist) and David Ellefson (Bass guitarist) came into this album with a new guitarist and drummer. After firing former guitarist and drummer Jeff Young and Chuck Behler, they replaced them with guitar god Marty Friedman and drumming master Nick Menza to make this incredible masterpeice. Marty is easily one of the bests guitarists ever and in my opinion the best that was ever in Megadeth along with Chris Poland and of course Dave himself and he shows that he's not the sadsack of the block that Jeff Young was. He showed that through amazing solos like Hangar 18, Lucretia, and most notibly Tornado Of Souls. The songs in order go as followed: 01. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due - this song is a great song with a lightning fast main riff and several solos but after you listen to it for the 8th time or so it kind of get boring. 02. Hangar 18 - this song never gets boring with it's 11 solos and high flying riffs, this song is the second best on the album. 03. Take No Prisoners - is an awesome song about World War II and it has some amazing riffage in it. it's a fantastic song with a freakin awesome drum part. 04. Five Magics - love the beginning and it's double guitar part. The vocals are a bit annoying but the guitars are awesome. 05. Poison Was The Cure - this song is the worst off the album, but it's still pretty good. don't let the boring beginning fool you. 06. Lucretia - perhaps the most technically difficult song on the album, Lucretia takes solos to new levels with some amazingly difficult solos (especially by Mustaine). 07. Tornado Of Souls - best song on the album. Period. Amazing vocals and a extremely awesome riff and the best part is the solo. I wont tell you anymore. You have to listen to it! 08. Dawn Patrol - amazing bass line but that's about it. 09. Rust In Peace... Polaris - it's ok. Nothing special about it. The lyrics are horrible though.

This lyrics in this album are probably one of the best parts of it with absolutely amazing lyricist talent shown through every song on the album (with the exception of Rust in Peace... Polaris). Dave Mustaine tunes his voice to as high as he can go while maintaining his snarling dangerous tone he's always had.

This is the best Megadeth album you can buy and I think from the list I made in the sound section you can determine what I think the best songs are. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again. If I didn't have the money to buy it again I would die.

kmchipower
    kmchipower
    they can't get back in touch with their roots...their roots are in megadeth (mustaine) and R.I.P. (cliff burton). Those were the guys that gave early metallica their mojo. James and Lars are secretly regretting the day they kicked out mustaine. mustaine is one of those guys that is oozing with ideas, creativity, and talent. has awesome riffs and solos running through his veins constantly, dripping out of his ass. he can pull a better riff out of his ass right now than hetfield. just listen to a megadeth song and hear how full of ideas it is. unlike a metallica song which has one or two ideas stretched out into a song.
    Shabalaba wrote: Sanitarium91 wrote: I have this album, well i downloaded it some time last year, you know just to hear why people like Megadeth so much. I've gotta say, it didnt really send the chills down my spine, but it was allright i guess, even though didnt really care for the lyrics, so then I decided to try what the very new Megadeth sounds like. So i tried the System has Failed, and it was a lot worse. After a while I noticed that Rust In Peace was so many peoples favourite, so I decided not to try anymore. I'm not saying that i dont like Megadeth at all, i just prefer some Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets or Justice. This is a perfect example of someone who prefers the slower heavy riffs to the fast Megadeth. Metallica are a very very talented band and i really like them but they need to get intouch with their roots to win back the support of people
    crocoscar
    el_guitarrist wrote: this album to the thrash metal is an good album , but to me is a shit
    ok but we don't give a **** about your personal opinion, if you dont like thrash metal why dyou come here ?
    XiixMetalHead
    PinkFloyd1965 wrote: This is a great album but I have two negative comments. A) His voice is too high. It sounds like he is crying or something. B) I hate Dawn Patrol. Good reviews.
    LOL! Dawn Patrol aint that great. Its all short and sounds like it belongs on the system has failed.
    Felty666
    Holy Wars is NOT about The Punisher, Shadows666. It's about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict!
    wildchild6660
    mustaineNslash
    ohh, and holy wars is NOT about the punisher. what kind of crack head idea is that. read the lyrics.
    extrememetal129
    wildchild6660 : kmchipower wrote: before you consider ride the lightning a pure metallica album, you should know that mustaine wrote the song ride the lightning and call of ktulu And some stuff on Kill 'em all, even though he wasn't involved in the actual recording of any of these slayer_213 wrote: best metal album ever, although i like slayer and metallica better this album is even better than ride the lighting and reign in blood Haaaaa fuking right. I could say many better thrash albums: hell awaits, reign in blood, ...and justice for all, pleasure to kill, welcome to hell, beneath the remains,etc.
    extrememetal129
    kmchipower wrote: before you consider ride the lightning a pure metallica album, you should know that mustaine wrote the song ride the lightning and call of ktulu And some stuff on Kill 'em all, even though he wasn't involved in the actual recording of any of these Yeah, he wrote the whole Kill 'em all, half RTL, quarter of Mop and ... AJFA. Strangely, creeping death's solo was also written by mustiane and so was fade to black's. HAAAAA. I've never heard him say that he contributed to suckly albums like st. anger, load, crap. the_beastly_one, This is definitely one of Megadeth's best efforts and they managed to hold out as a pure metal band for much longer than Metallica (who everyone seems to think are the same band or something, no Dave Mustaine was thrown out of Metallica 10 years earlier) omg, the only bang of the big 4 which stayed true to thrash roots is slayer.. so all hail salyer eventhough king's solo sucks. Hell awaits is the best thrash album of all time with .. ajfa closely following behind
    DasiusPsycho
    I must say, this album kicks ass, but I can't pick between this or Countdown to Extinction, they are both great in different way, Countdown giving me the better lyrics and melodies, and this just beating my face in with agression. One of the greatest thrash albums ever by one of the greatest bands ever. Mustaine+Freidman=thrash greatness!!!!
    extrememetal129
    extrememetal129 : wildchild6660 : kmchipower wrote: before you consider ride the lightning a pure metallica album, you should know that mustaine wrote the song ride the lightning and call of ktulu And some stuff on Kill 'em all, even though he wasn't involved in the actual recording of any of these slayer_213 wrote: best metal album ever, although i like slayer and metallica better this album is even better than ride the lighting and reign in blood Haaaaa fuking right. I could say many better thrash albums: hell awaits, reign in blood, ...and justice for all, pleasure to kill, welcome to hell, beneath the remains,etc but the only album i like is peace sells, so sorry if i offended some megadeth fanboys