Rust in Peace review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 21, 1990
Megadeth: Rust in Peace

Megadeth's fourth album, and what many consider their last true thrash album, is one to remember. Also, it's the first album in which frontman Dave Mustaine was completely sober for it's creation. This is the hardcore, punch in the face, thrash metal of the early Megadeth (circa Peace Sells... ) with the technical power of new guitarist Marty Friedman. In the solos, you can see plenty of classical and middle eastern influences, and trust me, there are plenty, plenty, of solos for the fans on this album. This is what many consider Megadeth's greatest musical effort, and I will say that it definately isn't anything short of amazing.

Megadeth's lyrical content evolves from their prior album (So Far, So Good... So What? ) and seems to gain a general focus on political subjects, a theme that was started on SFSGSW, and is fine tuned on Rust in Peace. There's still a bit of variety as far as lyrical topics with tracks such as Five Magics, and Poison Was the Cure offering alternatives. I think this album is also Megadeth's strongest lyrical effort, with tracks such as Holy Wars... The Punishment Due and Tornado of Souls standing out as amazing works of art, lyrically and musically. Once again, Dave's voice continues to evolve as you begin to see his trademark growl start to show it's face again, however, in some aspects the vocals may fall short for fans. I personally didn't like Dave's vocal work on Hangar 18. While, still vocally brilliant, the song kind of lacked. Otherwise, the lyrical section of the album is ace.

Holy Wars and Hangar 18 alone could make this an album worth mention and comparison with other bands' albums, however, the album offers so much more than just these two tracks, with highly technical solos and powerful thrash riff work on every other track on the album, save Dawn Patrol, which serves as a display of David Ellefson's work on bass, and as a filler for the general political theme of the album. I love the overall solo work on the album. Friedman is a beast, and his team up with Mustaine on this album gives birth to many, many, highly technical, but thrash oriented, tracks. There really isn't anything to dislike here, except maybe Mustaine's vocals on Hangar 18. If this album was stolen or lost, I would definately replace it, as this is the essence of Megadeth. This album captures all of the spirit, the tone, the aggression, and the power of one of thrash metal's greatest acts. I suggest this album to ALL fans of thrash metal, and suggest that anyone who's considering getting into Megadeth to check the album out, if not just for Holy Wars and Hangar 18, but for all of the solo work, especially that in the aforementioned tracks as well as Tornado of Souls and Five Magics.

ShredNburN
    This band made me pick up a guitar in first place, and this album was my lunch and dinner for every day. All songs included. This is a perfect bomb. Gotta love `Deth.
    RocknRollRay
    People act like Dave wrote early Metallica songs by himself. As if Lars, James, and Cliff had nothing to do with song writing.
    mercurymay
    Shabalaba wrote: Sanitarium91 wrote: I have this album, well i downloaded it some time last year, you know just to hear why people like Megadeth so much. I've gotta say, it didnt really send the chills down my spine, but it was allright i guess, even though didnt really care for the lyrics, so then I decided to try what the very new Megadeth sounds like. So i tried the System has Failed, and it was a lot worse. After a while I noticed that Rust In Peace was so many peoples favourite, so I decided not to try anymore. I'm not saying that i dont like Megadeth at all, i just prefer some Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets or Justice. This is a perfect example of someone who prefers the slower heavy riffs to the fast Megadeth. Metallica are a very very talented band and i really like them but they need to get intouch with their roots to win back the support of people
    I think Metallica have all the support in the world. Maybe the people who aren't so much in favor of them now are the mullet, plaid clad dingbats driving to their work at Target in a pickup truck.
    Megadeth2011
    Infamou$17 wrote: Megadeth is terribly overrated... Metallica is a little better, Testament much better, but f*ckin' Slayer is the real deal
    1. Megadeth isnt overrated. Metallica is overrated. 2. EARLY Metallica es a little better, but Dave wrote the better songs. 3.Testament isnt bad, but Megadeth is better than them. Testament kinda blows live, and Megadeth is better live. 4. Slayer the real deal? Ill admit, I do like a few songs, but I dont get the fact that they sing phony lyrics and the fact that King cant solo. The use of a whammy bar divebombing and just gettin yanked on isnt a solo. Its just a guitar noise.
    Imperial
    Poison Was The Cure kicks ass. Thrash at it's best... well, not BEST but it is still great.
    Mr Grumpy
    Dave Mustaine did not write the Call of Ktulu. He contributed it towards it, yes, but did not write it. His only other RTL contribution was the self-titled. He claims to have written Leper Messiah too, though it's doubtful. Anyhoo, yeah this album is a damn good one, Friedman is one of me favorite metal guitarists. I don't really have a song that I hate more than another.
    RocknRollRay
    Marty was probably the best thing that happened to Megadeth, that said some of the riffs were unnecessarily long, vocals exceptional but who really cares, good album through and through. Definitely a good thrash album.
    trivium036
    Holy Wars... The Punisment Due has to do with wars about religion.
    woo! Its about the loyalist/republican wars here in ireland. megadeth were playing a gig here just before the start of the 90's and dave shouted 'up the RA' on stage... people started petrol bombing him and the band left on a bullet proof bus. Then he wrote that song ;> It's good to know that Belfast gets mentioned, even if people dont know it
    Froboarder
    jetfuel495 wrote: daveftw deth4life this album is amazing
    I concur. Megadeth rules.
    korinaflyingv
    angusfan16
    PinkFloyd1965 wrote: This is a great album but I have two negative comments. A) His voice is too high. It sounds like he is crying or something. B) I hate Dawn Patrol. Good reviews.
    i love his voice on this album but thats just me
    ShredNburN
    I was here wrote: the first guitar solo on holy wars isn't spainsh its an indian, and by indian i mean from india (duh!) guitar called a sitar
    Ovbiously, a non-musician person.
    samtberg
    samtberg wrote: Intruder wrote: If you want to get an Megadeth album this is the one to start off with. It is one of his best albums for sure. I can assure you that is NOT a sitar.
    Oops I meant:
    I can assure you that is NOT a sitar.
    samtberg
    I can assure you that is NOT a sitar.
    BlisteringDDj
    korinaflyingv wrote: Absolutely incredible album. I would say, probably the greatest thrash album of all time. They have never made a better album, and doubtless never will.
    Ironpriest
    THIS MEGADETH CD IS PRITTY SICK... HOLYWARS IS A SICK SONG, I LOVE PLAYING IT, THE SPEED IS FUCKIN SICK. SOME OF THE SONGS ON THE CD ARE NOT THAT GREAT BUT MOST ARE BAD ASS
    Stop saying 'Sick' and learn some proper english please