Rust in Peace review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 21, 1990
Megadeth: Rust in Peace

A fast paced, intense metal album with speeding solos and riffs that will blow your mind. Megadeth does a great job when it comes to speed metal, sure they don't have to play fast but it sounds better when they do. Another thing that boosts Megadeths status when rocking is that the lead guitar just sounds amazing when assembled in the song and Megadeth is lucky to have such a great lead guitarist. Then there are parts of the songs that want to make you keep listening, like in Take No Prisoners there is a three to five second bass solo that is really cool and that stands as a turning piont in the song to kick things up a notch. The best songs soundwise in the album is Hangar 18.

Music, lyrically, is usually about sending some sort of message to the listeners. Megadeth does that perfectly in this album. The whole idea of nuclear war destroying the world and the fighting in the middle east really hits home for Megadeth. They display the message that nuclear war is evil throughout the whole album, even though some of the songs don't focus entirely on the topic the theme sticks around. Megadeth's lyrics are very well educated in a sense. They know what they are talking about and they know why they are talking about it. The best song lyrically is The Holy Wars... The Punishment Due.

This album was one of those albums you really have to learn to aprecciate. There are a lot of little details that help the band sound better, but they are hard to notice the fisrt time listenening to them. The band's worst mistake was adding the bonus songs and demo versions at the end of the album. I could care less for those songs but I can see why you would want them. The best things about Megadeth in this album are the lead guitar riffs and solos, there are a few good ones in Poison Was The Cure that are worth mentioning, and the solo in Hangar 18 is way cool. The best song I cannot decide on but it's between the Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Take No Prisoners, and Tornado of Souls.

AMEER157
    The Best of Megadeth! this is the other title of this album \m/ Rock On! \m/ MEGADETH RULE!!!!
    Skillet_Panhead
    took me a while to warm up to this album, but I love it now. I still like Countdown To Extinction better, but this is a close 2nd. And Holy Wars is written about the Punisher, Mustaine says it himself when he's talking about Psychotron in the lyrics booklet for the remastered version of Countdown.
    InsaneBicho
    Both megadeth and metallica are great bands but I think megadeth has more complicated riffs and solos (marty's solos for example y like his petatonic style of playing)
    SGofawesome
    pootoob wrote: mustaineNslash wrote: ohh, and holy wars is NOT about the punisher. what kind of crack head idea is that. read the lyrics. Dude, sorry to burst your bubble, but that is two songs combined into one. The first half is about the Palestine/Israel thing (Dave has also said it's about the Irish conflicts of the time). But the 2nd half (the punishment due) is about the Punisher!
    Dammit, you got to it first, almost said that, then i saw this. He is right, just disappointed I didn't say it first.
    RedDevil07
    Cool, I just bought this album. My first Megadeth album too. I've yet to listen to it but it seems that I've made the right choice.
    Gcwarrior
    Infamou$17 wrote: mustaineNslash wrote: how could you say that tornado of souls is your least favorite song on the album? wtf? Because he's not a complete fanboy tool
    Uhhh... maybe you should listen to Dawn Patrol then listen to Tornado of Souls. Yeah... you're an idiot.
    saintjimmy924
    I love MegadetH, but I don't see the appeal behind this album. I think it's mediocre at best. :/
    flame_mc
    07. Tornado Of Souls - my least favourite on the album. Still a perfectly decent song, has rare vocal harmonies glistening in the chorus, some excellent drum work, however still quite unmemorable in the most part. The vocals in this song also get pretty irritating and repetitive.
    WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT MAN? IT'S ONE OF THE MOST EPIC MEGADETH SONGS!
    v2a2n2g2
    This is one of the best if not THE best metal album in history. Although to be honest, I thought the remaster was ****ing terrible, it just sounds so watered down. Especially with Dave's voice up higher in the mix, you can hear many of the mistakes he makes (which was probably why it was almost inaudible)