Rust in Peace review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 21, 1990
Megadeth: Rust in Peace

Oh lord, is there a word to describe my love to Megadeth and to Dave Mustaine in person? Probably admire... Fits well! (I'm not going to refer the bonus tracks due to my decision... ) The album starts with "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", my favorite Megadeth song and the clean solo - my favorite Marty Friedman solo of all! It continues with the out of space atmosphere filled with insane shredding of "Hangar 18" - my first Megadeth song. After that Megadeth unleash a song that fits their attitude, "Take No Prisoners" - thrash metal as it was meant to be... Moving on, you'll feel bewitched by the fast riffs and dark sound of "Five Magics", that will make you headbang like a mad dog or something. Along comes "Poison Was The Cure", the intro's build-up feels a little bit too long, but around the 0:55 Nick will paddle his snare to a gnarly-and-fast heavy metal riff like Dave Mustaine know how to write. "Hahahaha", a laughter starts "Lucretia", the song roams like a wolf after it's prey with it's vicious riffs. "Tornado Of Souls" storms in with it's angry riffage that drives you insane and the well-known guitar solo. "Dawn Patrol" explodes you with the rich sound that every bass guitar deserves to have. After that comes the complexity of "Rust In Peace... Polaris" that ends the album at the same old way Megadeth does... Just good! The sound of aggression is deep in the powerful drumming of Nick Menza, in the killer bass of David Ellefson, in the maniac-rattling riffs of Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman and obviously in Dave Mustaine's fast shredding and Marty Friedman's art full of colors and soul named guitar solo.

Dave Mustaine is not the best singer in the world (Freddie Mercury is... ), but like they said in "Behind The Music" - No one have what it takes to sing like Dave Mustaine! His "snarling" voice sounds good like in the past even in the beginning of his 4th decade of creating music! And the lyrics! Every word has a fistful of meaning! The lyrics are about Dave's common songwriting topics: War ("Holy Wars", "Take No Prisoners"), UFO's ("Hangar 18"), nuclear attacks ("Rust In Peace... Polaris", "Dawn Patrol"), drugs and addictions ("Poison Was The Cure"), relationships ("Tornado Of Souls"), insanity ("Lucretia"), comics' characters ("... The Punishment Due") and movies ("Five Magics").

"Rust In Peace" is thrash metal at it's best, along with Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" it's one of my favorite metal albums. In Megadeth's discography "Rust In Peace" is totally their best album. More than "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?!", "Youthanasia" and "Countdown To Extinction". My favorite songs are "Hangar 18", "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", "Lucretia" and "Dawn Patrol". If it were stolen/lost, I would kill for this album. But seriously, I would buy it again after searching my house or anywhere. It worth every nickel you spend on it, I learned a lot from Megadeth as a musician and eventually as a person.

Galvatron
    Killer album,one of my all time favorites. The remastred version is complete garbage and a waste of money.Dave ruins every song with his re singing of the tracks.
    Megadethfan245
    Shreddin 4 Life wrote: I was here wrote: the first guitar solo on holy wars isn't spainsh its an indian, and by indian i mean from india (duh!) guitar called a sitar really? isn't it just a nylon-strung guitar?
    just nylon