So Far, So Good... So What! review by Megadeth

• Released: Jan 1, 1988
Megadeth: So Far, So Good... So What!

This album is a pretty good record by Megadeth, definetly not the best but it's up there. I can't say I didn't expect good things from it but after owning Rust In Peace and their greatest hits, I expected much more from it. This is of course still a great album, but the guys in the Megadeth forums rave about this being the second best so I had to get it, but I definetly don't regret it. This album, is a totally new side of Megadeth, with less masterful solo's more riffage and a lot of lyrics and strange guitar effects, because of the new guitarist Jeff Young, who was hired after Chris Poland was fired. This is Megadeth's third album and includeds the first song written by Dave after being fired from Metallica in 81', Set the World Afire. The track list goes as followed: 01. Into The Lungs Of Hell - a great instrumental with a cool guitar part after the first 30 seconds. 02. Set The World Afire - this is a great song on the album with some great guitar playing on it. 03. Anarchy In The Uk - this is a cover from the Sex Pistols song, and they do a pretty good job of it but it's not very metal sounding. 04. Mary Jane - this is a very sad song but has awesome riffs and music. 05. 502 - this is a poor song from the album, I don't like it that much and I usually skip over it. 06. In My Darkest Hour - this song is probably one of the best from the album and really is just amazing with very fluent guitar parts and amazing solos. This song was written by Dave after the death of Metallica bassist Cliff Burton, who was a good friend of Dave. 07. Liar - easily the most underrated song on the album. Usually skipped over by most fans, this song has amazing riffs in them that make you want to just pick up your guitar and start playing. 08. Hook In Mouth - this song is really strange but very good and has a great point of view about the government in it.

The lyrics in this album are one of the strong points of it. Like in Hook In Mouth it talks about how the government does a poor job of functioning and it's very political and awesome. Liar is all about a teenager who messes up everything he's around and is hated by everyone. Set the World Afire, like many other 'Deth songs is about a Nuclear holocaust but it definetly isnt the best of them.

The best songs from this album are Liar, In My Darkest Hour, Into the Lungs of Hell, and Set the World Afire. This album is by no means bad, if your looking for good riffage and some great end drum solos, and masterful lyrics, this album is for you. If your looking for just balls to the wall masterful solos, go buy Rust In Peace.

postmortem2006
    Liar is all about a teenager who messes up everything he's around and is hated by everyone No it ain't, its about Chris Poland.
    Sanitarium91
    Best songs in my opinion are (in no particular order) Into The Luns Of Hell, Set The World Afire, Liar, In My Darkest Hour and Mary Jane I always thought the song Mary Jane (also meaning marijuana) was about a drug addict, I mean just read the lyrics (eccept maybe the part: "I'm a child of the air, I'm a wich of the wind"). But it turns out it was about a little girl who was caught masturbating by her own dad. She was a witch who was practising the black arts and was buried alive. ...well potato, potato.
    melowar
    liar was about chris poland? never knew that i guess that where "crash cars hock guitars" comes from. nevertheles sfsgsw is pure classic.