So Far, So Good... So What! review by Megadeth

• Released: Jan 1, 1988
Megadeth: So Far, So Good... So What!

Megadeth needs absolutely no introduction - if you need to be introduced to Megadeth, you're probably deaf or something. A band that has been treadin water to some extent in the past decade, releasing some album thats are really just 'good' and nothing more. Cast your minds back to the good old days, and chances are a lot of people will hardly remember much of this record, a lost gem of thrash metal that was sandwiched in between two far more successful releases. Despite being overshadowed by the likes of 'Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?' and 'Rust in Peace', 'So Far, So Good...So What!' is quite possibly one of the best thrash albums to come out of the eighties and its certainly worth a place in your record collection. However, this isn't an album for the faint of heart but if you like your music fast, energetic, heavy, catchy and wonderfully crafted then read on... The album kicks off with the three and a half minute assault of 'Into the Lungs of Hell', a display of technical instrumental wizardry that if anything, sets the pace for the album rather nicely and leads straight into the first 'proper' song on the album, coincidentally one of the first songs Dave Mustaine ever wrote for the band -'Set the World Afire'. An absolutely devastating track that paints a harrowing, if somewhat dated image of a post-nuclear fallout not only with the lyrics, but with it's barrage of riffs. It may start out simplistic, but anyone who knows Megadeth's early works knows that Mustaine never keeps stuff simple. You ridiculous metalcore kids could learn a lesson here, this is music that requires balls - and by god Mustaine has them. Massive balls the size of the sun, and hes ain't shy to let people know about it, playing faster and angrier than before yet retaining his extremely tight rhythm style intact. Considering the guy was off his tits on smack whilst recording this album, this is beyond incredible! Other tracks, such as 'Mary Jane', dabble with some slower and slightly more experimental styles that are no less punishing than the album's openers, with new guitarist Jeff Young playing some spectacular (though slightly odd-sounding) guitar passages and he gives this album a bit of spit and shine that gives it that extra appeal that all records need. Now, the ONLY song that every single Megadeth fans knows from this album is 'In My Darkest Hour', Dave Mustain's fitting tribute to ex-bandmate Cliff Burton. Possibly the best display of emotion and anger anyone could ever display in a single song, this has quite rightly because a staple at Megadeth's shows and frankly I don't need to go over this song here because everyone with ears will have heard it - read another review if you've been living under a rock since 1988. The absolute standout of 'SFSGSW' though, has to be the album closer 'Hook In Mouth'. One of the angriest, most evil sounding songs Mustaine and Co. have ever written, this furious outlash at the PMRC is simmering with rage all the way through, picking up pace here and there just to prove... that it can! Dave Mustaine makes this song but credit where its due to Chuck Behler on drums. Not just on the final track, but on the album in general - a lot of people who dislike this record tend to blame Behler for it's shortcomings but if anything Behler is one of the album's best aspects. Yeah, hes not amazing but hes not a bad replacement for Gar Samuelson (though I believe Gar was the better drummer). Its not all good news though. There are two tracks on here that drag this album away from the 'nearly flawless' mark - god knows why, but the band decided it's be a good idea to cover the Sex Pistols' 'Anarchy in the UK'. I don't mind the original song, and I mind this one too much either, but it completely ruins the flow of the album and putting it as the THIRD track was a huge mistake. Then theres the song '502' which is pretty pointless. Its blatently a filler, its not neccessarily terrible but its just...there. It has no purpose other than to make bump up the track list a notch, and since a lot of the songs on this album were written years before (as I mentioned beforehand, 'Set the World Afire' was written nearly five years before this album was released) you can tell that when Mustaine tried to write new songs for 'SFSGSW' he was so smacked off his tits that he just couldn't do it. Final mention to bassist David Ellefson, who does a good job keeping up with Jeff and Dave on all the songs though he never does anything REALLY outstanding. Keeping up with the guitars is hard enough with a record like this though, so fair enough I suppose. Overall, a fantastic album with fantastic production, some incredible riffs and a violent, sinsiter sound, let down by two average filler tracks that were very poorly placed on the tracklisting. Use the 'skip track' button accordingly.

Dave Mustaine is no singer. This is a fact, and though a lot of Megafanboys will disagree he has never been - and never will be - a good singer. Still, his voice has always suited the music hes made and I think his perfomance here is hes best after 1992's 'COuntdown to Extinction'. That evil Mustaine snarl is more prevalent than ever and it fits better than ever too - just don't expect Rob Halfor. Lyrics, for the most part, are a very interesting read and as with the album in general, the lyrics as a whole are let down by '502' with it's terrible lyrics about speeding ('Driving fast makes me feel good/speed trap under my hood'). The lyrics to 'Mary Jane have been the subject of endless discussion for a long time, as there are numerous interpretations of the songs meaning - some say its about marajuana, some say its about a with, there are so many theories that its difficult to really say much of it. 'Liar' has a bit of a backstory to it, being written about previous guitarist Chris Poland who was fired after continuously pawning the band's gear from heroin. Nothing life changing with the lyrics, but the suject matter is most certainly something different to a majority of what Megadeth write about these days, with Mustaine's newfound relentless 'F--k the government' attitude really starting to grate with a lot of fans. Finally, the epic 'Hook in Mouth' is Dave Mustaine's marvelous 'f--k you' to the PMRC, who at the time were causing a lot of trouble with the over sensitivity of music censorship. Both instrumentally and lyrically, this song is one of the best Dave has ever done and ever will do, cleverly stating 'F is for fighting/R is for Red/Ancestor's blood in the battles they've shed/E we elect them/E we eject them/In the land of the free and the home of the brave/D for your dying/O your overture/M we will cover your grave with manure/This spells our freedom, it means nothing to me/So long as theres a PMRC'. Mustaine's balls of steel show themselves through once again. Shame that the narcotics ruined the lyrics for a few songs on this record, otherwise I would've marked it much much higher.

As I have mentioned numerous times now, if this album had put the Sex Pistols cover elsewhere in the tracklisting and pretty much nixed '502' completely, the album would've scored so much higher. But thats what the skip button on your CD/media player is for, and some people absolutely love these tracks so its all a matter of opinion. Don't let the relatively low score fool you,this album is a spectacular achievement that deserves to be played at extremely high volumes. Standouts most definitely go to 'Hook in Mouth', 'Set the World Afire', 'Into the Lungs of Hell' and 'In My Darkest Hour', though you'll have to see which songs you like yourself as this album, as previously stated, divides opinion a lot. The fact that this album rocks as hard as it does still leaves me in disbelief after hearing about the insane numbers of illegal sustances going into the bands' bodies at the time, so I think it just goes to show that Dave Mustaine really is one of thrash metal's frontrunners and probably always will be. Pick up 'So Far, So Good... So What!' whenever you get the chance, it'll kick you in the f--king nuts!

Minivirus2
    It really has not one "great" song on the record, just a bunch of "okay" and "pretty good" ones. There is nothing special about the whole album and could have been/should have been a whole lot better. Below average for Megadeth standards.
    I'd like to see you say that to Dave's or any Megadeth fans face. I know it's not the best work they've done, but I would rank In My Drakest Hour as a masterpiece and one of the best songs they've ever written. I love the hate this record gets for 'not being up to par with other Megadeth releases.' It's quickly becoming my favorite and I love most of the songs. I think Liar and Hook In Mouth are completely underappreciated tbh.
    cukd7x-a2-
    FearOfTheDuck
    cukd7x-a2- wrote: Mental-lica wrote: He was fired in 83' I was wrong about that. But his first song was called Megadeth which became the band name. So he changed the name to Set the World Afire. actually, the first song he wrote WAS Rust in Peace and it was named after an airplane's I.D. number but he didnt use it until Rust in Peace... Dave said that he has kept a lot of riffs back and we will see some of them in Headcrusher
    He got the name Rust in Peace from a bumber sticker he saw on a car while speeding on the way back from sky diving!
    Camron62\m/
    sevenchurches13 wrote: He said in an interview that he wrote Hangar 18 before he even joined Metallica.
    actually, he wrote the riffs. the same chords were used in the metallica song The Call of Ktulu. bad-ass.
    Camron62\m/
    this album is pure nuclear assault metal. the way it opens up and ends is fantastic. the heavy reverb is what makes this album what it is, giving it a war-like feel, and intimidation, and absolute power and awesomeness.
    Camron62\m/
    don't get the remastered version unless you got the original first. the original is the most unique-sounding.
    killektrika
    Actually i found the lyrics of 502 very stupid, like most of you did. But the riffage is unbelievable and one of my favourite lead solos (not just from Megadeth) is from this song. Give it another listen, if you will.
    brandonfurtado
    This is my favorite Megadeth album. Not that great compared to RIP but it's close in my opinion. Jeff Young had an eerie tapping vibe in his solos that I think helped give the album a dark feel compared to others (along with Mustaine's vocals.) The guitar work is phenomenal & the lyrics are alright, not that great but they keep me going. I particularly enjoy "502" for it's riffage & the police intro/car-crash, the lyrics are basic, about enjoying the need for speed, but that crash is heavy, representing when he crashed his car while all ****ed up, which prompted him to stay sober for a while and subsequently write RIP with a great mindset. I don't know if the edge and production are really bad or good, but I dig every album for what it is, & this is another shredder with signature solos & no complaints besides "Anarchy." \m/