Super Collider review by Megadeth

• Released: Jun 4, 2013
Megadeth: Super Collider

Megadeth's new album "Super Collider" is here, many of the fans were concerned about the quality off the album after listening to the lead single, but after listening to the album in it's entirety I can assure although this isn't "classic material" like "RIP" or even "CTE," it still is a solid album. Note: This is my very first review, and English is not my native language, so if there's any issue with it, just let me know, and I'll try to improve. 1. "Kingmaker - The opening track starts with a bass line courtesy of David Ellefson, quickly the guitar and the drums kick in with one of the best riffs of the album, Broderick's solo in this particular song reminds me a little (just a little) of Marty's lead work, and Drover's work here really shows how of a good drummer he is. Although the vocal melody and some of the guitar parts resemble Black Sabbath's "Children of the Grave" it's still a pretty good opener for the album. 2. "Super Collider" - The infamous lead single actually is quite good, it may not be "Looking Down the Cross" or "My Last Words," but it certainly is a decent rock song, the riffs and the solos aren't impressive at all, the best part of this song is the bass line for the verse and the vocal melody for the chorus. 3. "Burn!" - This song changes the mood set by the title song, it starts with some blistering fast lead from Mustaine, then a riff a la "Deadly Nightshade" kicks in. Overall a good song, the chorus is pretty catchy, although the rest of the song can get kinda boring. 4. "Built for War" - First of all, I didn't like Dave's voice on this at all; the vocal melody just didn't do it for me. On the other hand, the riffs are pretty good, and Shawn's drum work on this is pretty good as well, although a little less drum bass would have been better. The best part kicks in about halfway through the song, it has an epic feeling to it, and some amazing vocal melodies. 5. "Off the Edge" - To me, this song is a filler song like "Guns Drugs & Money" was to "Th1rt3en," it's not a bad song, but it it's kinda repetitive and it really takes the album nowhere. 6. "Dance in the Rain" - This is one of the best tracks of the album, the riffs are really good, the vocal melody is nice as well, the drums are solid, and Broderick's solo is one of the best he's done in Megadeth. The last minute of the song features David Draiman, his voice actually fits the song pretty well, and it gives it a nice twist. 7. "Beginning of Sorrow" - Just like "Kingmaker," this one starts with a sweet bass line, and then the full band comes in, the use of synth in the intro reminded me of Children of Bodom's "Angels Don't Kill." At first I felt like this one was just another filler song, but after listening to it a few times, it grew on me. 8. "The Blackest Crow" - As soon as the intro started this became one of my favorites from the album, it is obviously country influenced, and that really makes it stand alone from the other tracks, giving it a fresh sound, the chorus is also one of the best parts of the song. The rest of the song may not surprise you, but it's good to see Dave trying new things like the banjo in the intro. 9. "Forget to Remember" - Just like "The Blackest Crow" did, this song's intro got me instantly hooked with the track, again, this isn't "Tornado of Souls," but it has some melodies that I really really liked. 10. "Don't Turn Your Back" - Again, the intro for this song has an amazing bluesy sound to it and it actually makes me want to see what would sound like if Dave decided to go on a side project and make a blues album. The riffs and drums for the entire song seem kinda uninspired and remind me of "Never Dead," but the solo... The solos is definitely my favorite solos on this album, mainly because it feels like they weren't there just for the sake of having a solo. 11. "Cold Sweat" - Originally by Thin Lizzy, this is an amazing cover and if you like Megadeth and the original song, you are going to love this. P.S. There is some amazing lead work in this song.

As always Mustaine's lyrics reflect social and political issues, most of the lyrics aren't impressive at all ("Built for War," "Off the Edge," etc... ), "Super Collider" is a little cheesy, but I guess that it fits the songe since it's the softer track on the record but "The Blackest Crow" and "Forget To Remember" really stand out because of the lyrics, both songs talk about Alzheimer's disease and how painful it is to see someone you love fade away. The rest of the lyrics work well with the songs, but they aren't special at all.

The main thing that bothered me with this release is the fact that they are now using D tuning on the guitars, obviously this is meant to protect Dave's voice, but it really takes away that classic Megadeth sound, another issue I had is that most of the solos seem a little uninspired, but overall this is a damn solid album, the lyrics are good, the rhythm section does it's job really well and it still has that Mustaine trademark sound. I strongly recommend you to listen to this album as a stand alone album, if you give it a try expecting to get "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying II" you are not going to like this record.