Super Collider review by Megadeth

• Released: Jun 4, 2013
Megadeth: Super Collider

I bought the limited edition deluxe version of this album after their show in Groningen, Holland, on May 26, 2013. It contains two extra songs, "All I Want" and "A House Divided." Funny things is that Dave hasn't seen the album in it's final form yet, so he told during the concert. The overall sound of this record is your typical Megadeth sound; it's rough, Dave screams, Chris squeals and David and Shawn pounds. I really like this sound, which is comparable with my most favorite Megadeth albums, "Youthanasia" and "Rust in Peace."

The lyrics from about the half of this album not that impressive. Songs like "Kingmaker," "Forget to Remember" and "Don't Turn Your Back" really stick out from the crowd, these are in my opinion the best songs from the album. The songs that have good lyrics make up for the lesser songs. Songs with slow vocals (beginning of "Dance in the Rain" is talking rather than singing), but fast pounding rhythms flourish well on "Super Collider," and that's the way I like Megadeth. Songs are about the hard things in life, like going to work from "Dance in the Rain" ("Sentenced to work / A dead end 9 to 5 / Trapped in a dingy corporate cubicle hell.")

01. "Kingmaker" - Your typical Megadeth song, power chords and muted strings, awesome live song. 02. "Super Collider" - One of the weaker songs on the record, the lyrics are not that good and the music not that great. 03. "Burn!" - The beginning sounds like hair metal from a long time ago, and transcends into a slower, heavy song like Black Sabbath. 04. "Built for War" - Good song, but not that impressive. 05. "Off the Edge" - Music is slow like "Burn!," but Dave's singing is more 'swinging'. Not a very impressive song. 06. "Dance in the Rain" - Dave starts by speaking instead of singing, band provides a pounding rhythm. The rest of the song isn't bad, but not that good. 07. "Beginning of Sorrow" - Song reminds me of Black Sabbath. Slow vocals, full on metal music on the background. 08. "The Blackest Crow" - Begins with a banjo and a violin, transcends into heavier guitar work mixed with the banjo. Slow vocals, it's the typical "Super Collider" song. Not bad, but not great either. 09. "Forget to Remember" - Faster song, more of a rock feeling than a metal feeling. Great vocals by Dave. 10. "Don't Turn Your Back" - Starts slow, but transcendents quickly in pounding double bass and fast guitar riffs. Slow vocals by Dave. In overall a great Megadeth style song. 11. "Cold Sweat" - Intro with power chords, nice steady drum riff, Dave's voice is swinging. Nice fast solo in the middle. 12. "All I Want" (bonus track) - Like "Kingmaker." Nice vocals from Dave. Faster Megadeth song. 13. "A House Divided" - Trumpet in the beginning and middle of the song. Slower vocals, nice double bass drum work, slower Sabbath like guitar work.