Super Collider review by Megadeth

• Released: Jun 4, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Megadeth: Super Collider

I found this album to be terrifyingly bad, sounded like Megadeth was really trying to sell out, as opposed to giving us good quality thrash metal. The first song, "Kingmaker," was alright were alright, nothing to special, typical Megadeth sound, but it was quite repetitive. The album's second track, the title track of the album, "Super Collider": Was evidence that this album was going to be of poor quality. The sound of this song was very '80s glam metal, but with all due respect, Dave can't sing very well, he is better at snarling and growling, which is vital in thrash metal music. "Burn!": Opens up with a terrible solo, very sloppy, too much distortion, once you get passed that, it is alright, all the way up until the chorus, "BURN BABY BURN." Just sounds like a hybrid of '80s glam and thrash metal of the same era. "Built For War": Kind of punches you in the face right away, I kind of want to like this song, but I feel as if, like the first song, it just gets to repetitive. The bridge is also just, odd, something I would never expect Megadeth to do. I am gonna refrain from reviewing any more individual songs, the sound of the album is unique, but they were kind of using generic elements of thrash and glam metal and mashed it all into one pile. One song "The Blackest Crowe," actually opens up with a banjo and violin, and that continues throughout a heavy chugging electric guitar. Unique? Yes. Does it work? Absolutely not, sounds like thrash country metal, something that really should not exist.

The lyrics on this album were alright, I felt the lyrics on the title track were pretty boring and weak, but if you can get past the obnoxious instrumentals, I guess the lyrics are not that bad. But I really do not think you will get past the obnoxious instrumentals, and Dave trying to actually sing, both those elements are what makes this album weak. It is kind of funny to listen to Dave Mustaine try to utilize harmonies. Like I said, the man is good with thrash metal, but this hybrid of glam and thrash is just plastic.

Overall, I have to give this album a 1/10, I would definitely not purchase it, I won't even listen to it, it collects dust, I honestly contemplate snapping the disc and filing the plastic bits into guitar picks. This album is WRETCHED. DO NOT BUY! I hate everything about this album, I am so disappointed, this is the single Megadeth album that has made me lose faith in them. Dave's attitude towards everything has annoyed me, and if this is the direction he wishes to take with Megadeth, I am done.