Th1rt3en review by Megadeth

• Released: Nov 1, 2011
Megadeth: Th1rt3en

It's finally here, and let me tell you this one is special. If I had to compare this album to a previous Megadeth album it wouldn't definitely be "Countdown To Extinction". The production quality is pretty good, it could be a little bit better though. On some songs the drums are a bit too loud and the guitar seems a bit muddy. But that doesn't affect the overall sound of the album. A couple of the riffs seem to be recycled and changed to a lot. Most of them aren't noticeable unless you can play the original riff and than think "Hey I know that". A few of the songs have been released on previous albums as demo's or bonus tracks. At first I was worried this would be terrible, but they have changed the songs enough that you can still be glad with them.

Dave's voice is definitely going and that is apparent on this album. You can definitely notice the pro-tools on this album. Also his voice seems a bit strained, like he's having a hard time just to sing the lyrics. The lyrics themselves are pretty good. Some of them are kinda cheesy like in the songs "Wrecker" and "Whose Life (Is It Anyways?)". But some songs have seem pretty good lyrics, I particularly enjoy the lyrics on "Never Dead". Definitely a thrash feel to them. The lyrics fit the music pretty well I think.

I'd say that this album is definitely one of the best Megadeth albums in a good 10+ years. With the previous albums they just kinda seemed to be missing something and that something was David Ellefson. Just his presence seems to have improved the writing of these songs. I love basically everything about this album. The things I would change are the production and Mustaine's voice. But obviously you can't fix a singer's voice so I'll just have to accept it. I don't own this album yet I've only listened to it on YouTube. But don't worry I'm pre-ordering it with the 2 records and the CD. If someone stole that well than they would suffer the pain of 13 deaths.