Th1rt3en review by Megadeth

• Released: Nov 1, 2011
Megadeth: Th1rt3en

Megadeth returns with another record, despite their very tight touring schedule. This album is very important in that it brings back co-founding member bassist David Ellefson, and you can definitely hear that he is back on this new record as the band sounds more comfortable and tight in their new lineup than they did with bassist James LoMenzo in "EndGame". I'll take track for track to give you guys a sense of each song and what to expect. 01. "Sudden Death": This is the track that was written for "Guitar Hero 6: Warriors Of Rock", it was also nominated for a Grammy award, but lost to Iron Maiden's "El Dorado". there's a few new things since its original release. The strumming part on the open string has changed in that there's now an effect on it, and instead of going right to left it goes all around you if you have surround sound. there's been some minor tweaks with lyrics and therefore Mustaine has re-recorded the vocal track. Besides that there's not much to say if you already have heard it, its a really good track, but maybe a little too many solos, but hey, it's Megadeth, so solos are always good. 02. "Public Enemy No. 1": The lead single of the album, this track has been played continiously live. A simple track by Megadeth standards, and one of the more hard rock songs on the record, it's about the infamous gangster Al Capone. The main riff is typical Megadeth, but would we want anything else? I think not. It's definitely not sounding like anything off of "EndGame" or any other record, this is "Th1rt3en", and not anything else. Also, Chris' solo in this one is fantastic. 03. "Whose Life (Is It Anyway?)": This song is inspired by the sound of punk rock, and you can definitely hear that, but it's definitely metal too. It's about other people trying to change who you are, what clothes you wear, what personality you have, definitely punk rock material, and definitely Mustaine lyrics too. It's form is simple, but it's a good tune, but I would really like some more technical stuff from Megadeth as that's what they're generally known for. 04. "We The People": The political song on this album, this song is very heavy and dark, and very fitting to this album. Mustaine is snarling about how he doesn't think there's equality and how we the people die in revolution. Also, one of his twitter updates referred to one of the lines: "Our founding fathers, are rolling in their graves". It's also really nice how it ends really lightly with a few clean notes. 05. "Guns, Drugs & Money": Centered around the poor life of drug addicts, the music blends perfectly with the lyrics. The thing that makes this song is the pre-chorus, it has the energy and Mustaine's voice blends perfectly with it. I just have the feeling that this (along with another track I'll mention later) will be a track that Megadeth won't play live, it just has that feeling. 06. "Never Dead": Another video game song! This one aimed at the Capcom game named... Well, "NeverDead". It starts out with this 1 minute creepy intro, and then explodes wildly with Shawn double bassing with his life, and this really aggressive riff playing with it, arguably the best riff on the record. The best part of this song is the solo switching, Mustaine and Broderick's playstyles fits really well together, and this track proves that. 07. "New World Order": Written as a demo during "Youthanasia", this is the first of 3 other songs that Megadeth is rehashing on this album, this one being the least changed of the 3, simply because it doesn't need changing. Only thing missing is that Shawn's playstyle isn't as aggressive as Nick's was during the last part of this song, else its an improvement of the shaggy old demo we had on the "Youthanasia" remaster. The guitar tone that is playing during the opening riff really ain't what I like, just a personal preference, it sounds poor in my opinion, but that doesn't ruin a great song. 08. "Fast Lane": The least impressive song on this album, even though it's called "Fast Lane" it's not as fast as you'd think. Double bass at the start and chorus is nice, but the verse just feels like it doesn't fit, and the lyrics are pretty unimaginative. The chorus is pretty good though, and so is the rest of the song, but I just can't get the picture of Dave Mustaine as a jetplane out of my head (you'll know when you hear it). This is the second song that has the 'won't be played live' feel over it. 09. "Black Swan": Second of the rehashed songs, this one was recorded as a demo during the "United Abominations" recording, and therefore being the newest of the rehashed songs. Only thing that is changed is that the old intro has been replaced by a nearly "Head Crusher"-esque start solo which gives the song a more aggressive feel which fits this album more. This also features some of my favorite lyrics on this album. It has a really good feel to it, and it's the one song I've been repeating most on this album as it's easy to just set on and listen to. 10. "Wrecker": This song is supposedly about a former girlfriend of Mustaine from what I can get out of the lyrics, wrecking everything he did (quoting "It doesn't even matter how you die, she'll wreck it!"). There's always energy going in this song, and it has a really awesome vibe to it, it takes a couple of listens, but that's really about it. 11. "Millenium Of The Blind": The last of the rehashed songs, this was also written in the "Youthanasia"-period and feature on the record's remaster. This one is nearly unrecognizable from the old one, it doesn't have as creepy and nearly Cthulhu-like feeling over it as the old one, but it definitely stands out from the rest of the songs. The old parts of this song is scattered between the start and end of this song, but not in the way you'd think they were. You'll hear, it's gonna be the very oppinonate song, some will love it, others will be like "meh". 12. "Deadly Nightshade": This song is about a deadly ivy by the same name of the song, Mustaine describes the symptoms of touching this plant in this song. If there's one song where Ellefson really stands out, its in this one. Not only does he get his own bass line in the middle of the song, but the rest of the song the bass just seems louder than usual, and I'm really liking that. My personal favorite on this record, and I'm guessing it will be many others' too. 13. "13": The title track of the record (although stylized differently) and the closing track, this one is about Mustaine's life in general, and this song points to that this could very well be Megadeth's last record. Chris Broderick shows off his acoustic skills in this song with Mustaine playing with distortion behind the acoustic notes, this is more silent than the others, and it fits it really well, it's chorus is also catchy as hell. It gets more aggressive towards the solo and finishes off aggressively until it ends the whole record with one chord that Broderick pulls off elegantly. I'm gonna quote Ellefson on this one "If there's one song that summarises the story of Megadeth, it's this one".

As we all know, the one thing that keeps many people away from Megadeth is usually Mustaine's vocals, but most people listen to only "Rust In Peace" and then maybe calls it quits. This record Mustaine has a stronger voice than ever, and this would definitely be a good album to get into Megadeth with if you're having a rough time with that. I believe the one thing that makes Megadeth is Mustaine's voice, sure it's awful in it's own, but the fact that it's unique and fits good with the music is what makes Megadeth special, of course their solos and riffs are unlike any others', but Mustaine's voice only strengthens the uniqueness that is Megadeth. The lyrics are definitely good on this record, the best is without a doubt the lyrics in "13", while "Black Swan", "Deadly Nightshade" and "Whose Life (Is It Anyway?)" and catching up close to it. However, "Fast Lane"'s lyrics are pretty... Unimaginative, it's about driving as fast as a jetplane, and it sounds silly at times, but that's the only song that is like that though, it has it's charm, but it's just not striking me. Good lyrical content overall.

Ellefson's return is very apparent, and it's definitely what makes this album worth it in the long end. The most impressive songs are "Deadly Nightshade", "13" and "Black Swan". If this was lost from my collection I would go out and instantly buy it again, because Megadeth is like a drug, except that it doesn't kill you. I also want to mention that Johhny K has done an excellent job producing this. If I should choose between this and "EndGame", it would definaitely be this one, it doesn't have as many boring songs like "EndGame" (this one only has "Fast Lane"), and the good songs definitely blow "EndGame"'s best songs away. The cover resembles Vic Rattlehead, long time mascot, walking away, there's pictures on Vic's funeral inside the CD, 13 sings about how Mustaine is killing himself by playing music, I'm very sad to say that I'm speculating that this will be Megadeth's last record as much points to it, biggest proof being the funeral picture. I'm giving this a 9/10, judging from former Megadeth records, they haven't sounded this good since Countdown, maybe even Rust in Peace, I definitely prefer this over "EndGame", "Youthanasia", and I still have to make up my mind if I prefer it over "Countdown". That's all, enjoy the record, buy it don't pirate it! We want this to hit the charts over the abomination that is "Lulu" so justice can be served!

SGofawesome
    Very impressive tracks here. I can see Public Enemy, Never Dead, and Black Swan becoming live staples in this upcoming tour. If Megadeth is truly done making records (I doubt they will be), then this is a good record to go out on. What's sad is Lulu is still even mentioned in a friggin' Megadeth review.
    cryptic-writing
    I 110% completely disagree with this.
    IRONxPANTERA
    Same here sir. I never understood why Symphony of Destruction got all of the attention.....I think that Ashes in Your Mouth is the highlight of the album by far
    super collasal
    I'm sorry I forget the part where the rest of us gave a shit
    evanharte123
    i'm at 120%
    MechaDio
    Metallidethium
    I found this album exceptional. Great riffs, decent solos, and plenty of memorable tracks. Millennium of the Blind blew me away.
    CoolMcAwesome
    Not a bad album, but not as good as Endgame. The strongest material is as good as the weaker material of Endgame. The sound seems held back somehow. The weaker tracks are pretty forgettable. overall a 6.9/10 (I keep seeing people saying its not very good, and they give it an 8/10. not just on this site, btw. Guess they don't realize that would qualify it as being an "A" record. It is not.) Finally, what is with all the "Lulu" comparisons?
    enzo_zeb
    what's with the table references? I know Its in lulu but I think I'm missing something
    Damaged Roses
    CoolMcAwesome
    The Slaps 2 wrote: Giving this album a 7/10 is innapropriate. Sure it's not the best megadeth album but i'd hardly consider this album to be an ''average'' product when comparing it to everything else out there.
    How is a 7/10 inappropriate? 1) it is opinion based. 2) 7/10 is NOT an average record. 5 is. 3) you gave it an 8. In MY opinion, an album worthy of an 8 should mean that there is 2 or less songs which aren't that good. And as a whole, you should be able to listen to the album on a a more-or-less daily basis, and not get bored of the material for several years. I cannot say that for this album. blueghost said
    sorry, but no. Just no. RIP and PS are great, but not MoP great.(I don't even know why you are comparing the bands in a review. and wtf does Dave teaching the spider technique to James have to do with anything? seriously, a completely pointless statement)
    Damaged Roses wrote: Man wtf... why starting a Metallica vs Megadeth crap in a freaking Megadeh review? That's simply retarded. And I LOVE Dave's vocals. Never thought of them as awful :/
    This, except Mustain often has some rough live vocals (just check the Big 4 in Gothenburg. dude sounded like he was having a stroke during every dong!)
    Wisthler
    Good album. Megadeth have been one of the few bands I like that keeps a consistent level of quality. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was how the album opened with "Sudden Death." You should never start a CD with a promo track for a videogame.
    I would placed Never dead first, due to its intro
    jbab
    MechaDio wrote: I wonder how much the "Users rating" at the top is going to be dragged down by people here who haven't listened to it at all and just hate on Dave Mustaine because of some of the quotes that UG posts here.
    Well you've got to agree that the guy can be (and has been) a real douchebag! He writes great music though.
    Superperfex
    I want an honest opinion. Is this a good album? (Preferably a level headed megadeth fan is preferred here)
    The Slaps 2
    Fact is throughout the critics you can always add a 10-20% increase to a megadeth review. They will always find a way to drag the album down using stupid cliches like ''This album is good for fans of old music'' or reprimand sticking to their sound. Which is never mentioned in Iron Maidens reviews... yet they stuck to their sound even more lol. Giving this album a 7/10 is innapropriate. Sure it's not the best megadeth album but i'd hardly consider this album to be an ''average'' product when comparing it to everything else out there. I do think Endgame was better , in fact Endgame was so good that i did not expect this to be as strong. But this thing is worth a firm 8.
    saint_berzerker
    I couldn't find anything to my liking on any of the songs. No time changes, no long intros, most of it is verse/chorus/verse....guess I'll always be a R.I.P. guy.
    mysticguitar77
    GunsNSnakepits
    I can't wait for this album, but I have to admit I don't think I'll listen to it any more than their old stuff. Once you create a masterpiece like Peace Sells or Rust in Peace, it's going to be hard to make anything even CLOSE to that.
    21stGunner
    @Superperfex This is an album that definitely feels like Countdown, a bit like Youthanasia, its got an Endgame feeling in there, a bit of Peace Sells...sadly its lacking the Rust feel, but its still a great metal album. Totally worth buying, and personally, its a billion times better than Lulu. If youre looking for an album with great riffs and awesome solos, then this is for you. It feels like the band are all on the same page with this album...also, there are almost no songs that youd want to skip when listening. Hope I helped
    WaddleDeee
    Not that amazed by the album, as I would personally give it an 8/10 as far as Megadeth records go, but We The People is seriously the best Megadeth song released in 15 years.
    blueghost
    shredder3386
    bustapr
    is UG run by little prepubescent megadeth fanboys? Why in the hell is a review subbed by UG team ranting on about how bad Lulu is? this was a great album, it had better riffs than their latest albums. theyll be fun to learn.
    saint_berzerker
    evanharte123 wrote: cryptic-writing wrote: saint_berzerker wrote: Ugh...too many sounds like "Countdown to Extinction" references. That was a terrible MEGADETH album. Just horrid. Not saying it was a bad album...but it was NOT Megadeth. After the epic Rust in Peace, I remember just being downright depressed by it. I didn't buy another Megadeth album until 2003 after that one. I 110% completely disagree with this. i'm at 120%
    No offense to you guys, just an opinion. You all must be under 25 I'm guessing? No real metalhead in the early 90's/late 80's liked that crap.
    Rebelloc
    I honestly think I'd rather listen to Lulu than listen to Megadeth regurgitate the same album they've released the last 4 times.
    Black Ox
    I may come off as a fanboy, but giving an album a lower score for using old songs makes no sense. It's Dave's songs and he can do whatever he wants. If he wrote Sudden Death, he can put it on the album if he wants. As for the old songs, the demos were probably put on by the record company anyway. If we had never heard them back in the day, no one would even care.
    troyofyort
    Its alright its just they had the potential to do so much more, but they just played it safe and pumped a bunch of stock songs mixed in with some good ones.
    metalmike79
    i think this album is good , but for some reason I prefer the intensity of Endgame - i really was hoping for Endgame part 2 or something , endgame got me interested in the New World Order Stuff Dave was singing about but Thirteen kind of went in a different direction . I still like this album but the solos werent as epic as the ones in its predecessor.
    damillion
    Never Dead and Sudden death were the only really good tracks. Black Swan, Public enemy no 1 and 13 were ok though, but they're fillers compared to Endgame. I gave this album a 5. It's a decent album with some really cool riffs, but it's nothing too special.
    GibsonMan321
    Meh. Included 5 songs that were pretty much pre-written. It's an OKAY Megadeth album, but I'm enjoying it less than Endgame. Listened to it once through and I'm done.
    venom1stas
    mysticguitar77 wrote: One of the most boring and stalest albums I've heard in a while. The same mediocrity they've been producing for the past decade now. Wake me up when Megadeth tries something different and that's always where Metallica had the edge over Megadeth, doing something different for better or for worse. In the meantime, I have new Iced Earth to keep me occupied.
    Well considering that Megadeth has done so much different stuff and influenced so many bands and the whole thrash metal genre you can forgive them if they done nothing new ever again. Metallica always tried to do something new - and almost all of that effort was towards making it less of a thrash band.
    AwokenDEMON
    From what I've heard so far, it is very guitar heavy (And just heavy for that matter). Basically, it's amazing. There hasn't been any bumps in the road for me so far, but I will let ya know!
    Rebelloc
    blueghost wrote: I don't know how long the people who gave this a bad review have been listening to megadeth or metal for that matter.I've been into megadeth since the peace sells days.I rememmber when r.i.p came out,it blew everyone away!In my opinion peace sells and r.i.p are more important to metal history than any of metallica's albums.(rememmber) dave taught james how to play the spider technique.Now with that said this is a very,very good record with some great moments.Dave's playing and singing haven't been this chilling since R.i.p. endgame is a great record,but this one has more of a purpose and it translates well in alot of the songs.It's kinda silly to say it sounds to much like one of the older albums,It's megadeth image that a band that sounds like them selfs,lol.this is classic megadeth,and that's what made me a fan.this album along with anthrax's worship music have been great releases.both bands have stepped up!! slayers war painted blood was great too,but that was 2 years ago.Another album should be due out soon by them.which leave Metallica..and this lulu crap dosent count,you can't hide behind lou reed forever when the album bombs and it will....
    I have no idea why you mentioned the spider technique. James doesn't even use the spider technique and it's all about preference anyway.