Th1rt3en review by Megadeth

• Released: Nov 1, 2011
Megadeth: Th1rt3en

What can I say? This album is pure bliss to the ears. This is the record that seems to borrow something from every Megadeth era, and roll it all into one, most notably the previous three albums, along with albums like, rust in peace and countdown to extinction. The reason for this "Retro Megadeth" sound, can possibly be the return of long time bassist and co founder David "Junior" Eleffson. Whatever the cause, the end result is awesome. From the pure thrash and brutal sounds of "Never Dead" and "Sudden Death", to the "In My Darkest Hour" sounding title track, the catchy punchy riffs of "Wrecker", "Public Enemy" and the more melodic side with "Black Swan", this album really makes you just wanna head bang and really get your blood pumping!

Lyrics, lyrics, lyrics. Dave has always had a political side to his songwriting, and it shows in songs like "Guns, Drugs & Money". There's the brutal lyrics behind "Sudden Death" and "Never Dead", and the lyrics of "13", clearly about Dave's past. Then there's the slightly cheesy lyrics of wrecker, but still a great thrashing song. "Fast Lane" is alot like "1,320". Dave's lyrics are as good as ever on this one.

This album has to be one of the best albums of 2011, after the low note of "Lulu", its awesome to have another one of the big 4 make a killer record. It's a cross between the last 3 albums, "Cryptic Writings", "Youthanasia", and "SFSGSW", with hints of rust in peace. A perfect album!

slipknot836
    zomgguitarz1234 wrote: THE76GOAT wrote: LULU > 13 I'll 1+ that :') The levels on my obvious troll meter are off the charts.
    G-money!$
    ""Wrecker", a vapid, juvenile assessment of women." Grow, up dude, that's music these days. It's a good song, and like SlinkyswaN said,
    SlinkyswaN wrote: Dave Mustaine is NOT a Table!
    Minivirus2
    xXGeNe5i5Xx
    I think thsi albums ****iing awesome! definitely worth getting, its nice to hear new world order in a full 'form' rather than a demo
    iup788
    This wasn't Megadeth's greatest album, but it wasn't its worst. Megadeth is still making strong music in 2011 and I hope they continue to do so.
    Albarranator
    I think Endgame was better than this one, but it has some interesting songs like Public Enemy No.1 or Black Swan. Looking forward to see them on Nov 16.
    stoplookinghere
    SGofawesome wrote: What's sad is Lulu is still even mentioned in a friggin' Megadeth review.
    I agree, for one Megadeth has nothing to do with Lulu and Th1rt3en is about a million times better that Lulu
    EclipseNine
    I personally have liked what I've heard so far (after a play though and a half, loadin' to phone for the car now). I am a bit disappointed, mainly because of how awesome endgame was. I think the "countdown to extinction" comparisons are appropriate, since after rust in peace it felt somewhat underwhelming, but was still a very good album.
    thenextkirk92
    Why so many references to Lulu? That was a Lou Reed Album with contributions from Metallica. Anyway, I like the album. Nothing special, just good.
    thechum
    Obviously sticking up for metallica here. Just admit it dave finally beat metallica. Megadeth has tried mixing it up before but then realized they need to get back to their roots. Unfortunately, $elloutica hasnt got the hint
    thechum
    If you like Endgame better than this then your arnt a true megadeth fan. This album is definitely getting back to their roots. All endgame was doing was trying to appeal to a different audience by going heavier. This album imo blows endgame away. This album is true megadeth
    iup788
    Minivirus2 wrote: Korgull wrote: Fenriz once made up the title "A little bit boring Thrash" for bands like Detente. (good band) This album.. It's like.. "A little bit more boring than 'a little bit boring' Thrash". There's nothing amazing. There's nothing that would receive ANY kind of praise if any other band released it: People are liking this for the name, not the music. It's incredibly disappointing that this is the same band that put out albums like Rust in Peace, So Far, So Good, Peace Sells, and Killing is My Business. And I have a feeling it's got something to do with Dave being drug-free and born-again. Someone get him something, maybe he and Cronos can try some Angel Dust.. Might also have to do with the fact that it's EXTREMELY hard to be completely original these days. Thrash was brand spankin' new when the classic albums came out. Would you suggest they hire a violinist, added orchestral organs, go dubstep? I'd rather stick to what I know and love rather than being subject to god awful atempts at something 'new' like Metallica and Lulu. People want to hear the next Rust In Peace? Well, the cold hard fact is, that's never going to happen. If someone used the same song structure, spend a decade writing genious lyrics and hired the greatest musicians of the time to come together and make it into an album, nobody would care because it's already been done. I loves me sums metulz, specifically thrash, so when I listen to bands like Megadeth, that's what I expect to hear. If I want diversity, I'll listen to another band. Sure it sounds the same in theory, but the hooks, lyrics, solos are all different. Remember what happened to Sepultura after Arise? Changing the formula isn't always the answer.
    AAACTUALLY, the Manowar albums that have an orchestra in the background are intensely awesome.
    slipknot836
    Why is everyone mocking this album... The old Megadeth is for the old Megadeth fans, This album is for the new fans that saw and heard Megadeth for their first time during the Big 4 Tour. Ofcourse Dave Mustaine is going to put some toned down, 'lower quality' (as some have put it) riff ideas onto this album to give new fans just a slim taster to the old stuff. My friend has just began listening to Megadeth after the Big 4 tour and the new tracks are what got him into Megadeth. Now he's just recently began gradually listening to the old stuff (Killing is my business, Rust In Peace, Peace Sells, Countdown To Extinction, Cryptic Writings etc) and now he loves the original Megadeth tracks too.
    Korgull
    Sepultura turned into a crappy Nu-Metal band, yeah, I know, I'm a big fan of early Sepultura. It wasn't the change that killed 'em, it was the fact they changed into something bad. However, I'm not asking Megadeth to change, I'm not criticizing it for being the same. I'm just pointing out that this newer stuff is simply lower-quality. Earlier Megadeth is first-rate Thrash Metal, and I'd rate their first four albums as masterpieces. Their newer stuff, however, is closer to second-rate, borderline third, Thrash Metal. If any other band were to release it, it'd be entirely missable and the band would get no where, and the fact it's from Megadeth makes it even more disappointing. I'm not asking for diversity, I'm not asking for something new, I'm just asking for something better. This is the band that put out like Poison Was the Cure, The Conjuring, and other great Thrash Metal songs, I should be able to expect something more than boring, second-rate Speed/Thrash.
    megadek
    certainly worth listening to!! I'd give it 8/10.. I like it more than endgame.. some of the songs remind me of MD.45 and youthanasia where-as some remind me of endgame.. cant wait to master my favorites public enemy no.1, whose life, deadly nightshade, the new black swan and maybe 13 when someone figures the tabs.... ^_^
    rajandmaria
    i think its average. im a massive megadeth fan. this one was .....ok....maybe it may grow on me. i heard it the first time today and my mind ...at times..wandered away.....my mind never ever wandered away when i heard - so far or peace sells
    Minivirus2
    Another Megadeth record in the bucket and one more crowning achievement for good ol' Davey. It may not be the next RIP, but it certainly delivers beyond a lot of the crap we see these days. I think most people were questioning Dave when he announced the title and said it was "a new age classic kind of album," but I, for one, have completely forgiven him for the title and I understand his new/classic hybrid theory. It's very reminiscent of classic Megadeth albums, but it never sounds like a clone or that they're trying to hard to recreate and old sound (cough, cough, Death Magnetic). Mr. Mustiane clearly knows how to keep a classic feel to his music while still giving it that modern hook. Love the album and as a devout Megadeth fan, I'll probably cry if he calls it quits after this one (the closing title track begs to ask too many questions).
    Korgull
    mysticguitar77
    venom1stas wrote: mysticguitar77 wrote: One of the most boring and stalest albums I've heard in a while. The same mediocrity they've been producing for the past decade now. Wake me up when Megadeth tries something different and that's always where Metallica had the edge over Megadeth, doing something different for better or for worse. In the meantime, I have new Iced Earth to keep me occupied. Well considering that Megadeth has done so much different stuff and influenced so many bands and the whole thrash metal genre you can forgive them if they done nothing new ever again. Metallica always tried to do something new - and almost all of that effort was towards making it less of a thrash band.
    And you're totally right and I agree, they definitely influenced a ton of bands, but that doesn't mean I have to blindly like everything they do because of what they've done in the past. Peace Sells is a legendary album, a staple for any thrash metal fan, from about The World Needs A Hero on has been so recycled for me that I can barely get through their newer albums. Whenever I get into discussions over musical monotony, Megadeth is one of the first bands that come to mind for me.
    SkepsisMetal
    From what I heard of this album already, it has a strong semblance to the latter years of Avenged Sevenfold. Vocals and riff wise.