Th1rt3en review by Megadeth

• Released: Nov 1, 2011
Megadeth: Th1rt3en

As much as it sounds like a contradiction, the guys from Megadeth have continued on with a very similar sound to the last 3 Megadeth albums ("Endgame", "United Abominations", and "The System Has Failed") while at the same time revisiting some tone from albums they released back in there prime ("Rust In Peace", "Countdown To Extinction", "Youthanasia") possibly due to a couple songs being written in that timespan ("New World Order", "Millenium Of The Blind") as well as the return of long time bassist David Ellefson who has been absent from the last 3 releases, "Th1rt3en" was produced by Dave Mustaine and Johnny K after Andy Sneap couldn't fit into Megadeth's time window to record this album and I Think it has a very similar sound to the albums Max Norman produced with Dave.

Megadave is at it again taking on the government and other of lifes blunders in his trademark skitzophrenic storytelling style. For the most part "Th1rt3en" is the Megadeth album that should have been released between "Countdown To Extinction" and "Youthanasia", the whole album seems to have a dark feel to it, you can sense the suggestions of paranoia threw out this release. Dave's vocals are spot on. Lingering the question on if Dave Mustaine will or can actually grow older his traditional raspy grawl only thickens the darker feel of "Th1rt3en". His storytelling type lyrics are still there but seems to have gone more towards the traditional Megadeth stories like "Skin O' My Teeth" and "Countdown To Extinction" rather then the overstuffed deeper plots of songs like "Blessed Are The Dead", "Truth Be Told" and "44 Minutes".

"Th1rt3en" quickly rose to the top of my favorites from Megadeth or any metal band, they have always been a band to leave you wondering what there next step will be, and I personally think they took a much needed step back to there glory days with this one. This album flows nicely and fits into the whole Megadeth catalogue and at times I was even wondering if Nick Menza and Marty Friedman were back in the mix. Track for track there's more songs that I could rave about then tracks I would assume they used to fill out the album. Right off the bat I grew fond of "Sudden Death", "Public Enemy No. 1" and "Whose Life (Is It Anyways?)" then later got drawn in further by "New World Order", "Black Swan", and in my opinion the highlight of this album the title track "Th1rt3en", very much a ballad telling of Dave's hardships over the last 13 albums but the song does get heavy at points with some fiery lead work. My only dislikes on this album was that a lot of the songs have been released in other ways such as demo versions from the remastered versions of "Youthanasia" or on video games ("Guitar Hero"). This one also is the last album required by Megadeth to release in their contract with roadrunner leaving me with the feeling I got when buying still alive and well? (An album with no new songs just tracks from both "The World Needs A Hero" and there live album "Rude Awakening") which basically served the same purpose of helping fulfill there contractual agreement but gives off a feeling of being rushed. In any matter I find this album to be a success and would recommend it to any Megadeth or thrash metal fan.

SpillyMcKid
    saint_berzerker wrote: evanharte123 wrote: cryptic-writing wrote: saint_berzerker wrote: Ugh...too many sounds like "Countdown to Extinction" references. That was a terrible MEGADETH album. Just horrid. Not saying it was a bad album...but it was NOT Megadeth. After the epic Rust in Peace, I remember just being downright depressed by it. I didn't buy another Megadeth album until 2003 after that one. I 110% completely disagree with this. i'm at 120% No offense to you guys, just an opinion. You all must be under 25 I'm guessing? No real metalhead in the early 90's/late 80's liked that crap.
    Anyone who uses the terms real metal or real metal head are posers
    Camron62\m/
    anyone else think a bit of the clean part in Millenium of the Blind sounds like "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zeppelin?
    Camron62\m/
    THERE'S ACTUALLY ALREADY AN ALBUM CALLED THIS. Th1rt3en by Robert Miles. yes. an electronic album. same exact name.
    SpillyMcKid
    Also really diggin this album. got it from my bud for an early Christmas present and its definitely a good one