That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires [DVD] review by Megadeth

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Mar 6, 2007
  • Sound: 9
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 9
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 8.8 Superb
  • Users' score: 9.2 (66 votes)
Megadeth: That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires [DVD]
10

Sound — 9
In the film Some Kind Of A Monster, which chronicled the recording of Metallica's St. Anger album, there was a particular moment that stood out more than all of the studio sessions combined. It was the moment when Megadeth frontman (and former Metallica guitarist) Dave Mustaine confronted drummer Lars Ulrich to reveal that he's felt as if he had been living in Metallica's shadow for the past few decades. As true as that heartache probably has been for Mustaine, the man definitely has his devotees, as is apparent in the latest DVD that showcases a 2005 show in Buenos Aires. That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires, Megadeth's live DVD recorded on October 9, 2005, is an impressive showing of the band's latest incarnation, vocalist/guitarist Dave Mustaine, guitarist Glen Drover, bassist James Lomenzo, and drummer Shawn Drover. While Mustaine remains the stronghold that has kept Megadeth alive for all of the years, the current status of the group is as impressive as ever in terms of playing dead-on versions of classics like Peace Sells and Tornado Of Souls. Although it's somewhat disappointing to no longer see Mustaine's former partner-in-crime, bassist Dave Ellefson, you would be hard-pressed to find a tighter lineup than the one present on the latest DVD. That One Night briefly includes commentary by Mustaine and the other band members in the introduction, but it wastes little time in getting to the main attraction, the stage show. Mustaine may be 45 years old, but his unbelievable talent at guitar shredding has not been altered in the slightest. While Drover does the majority of lead work, there is still a hefty amount that has been allotted to Mustaine. The most impressive display comes in Hangar 18, when Mustaine and Drover do a bit of dueling guitars in what is easily the most impressive moment on the DVD. While it may seem Mustaine's vocals are a bit off at first, he rapidly recovers by the second song Set The World Afire. More impressively, he is able to sing, play rhythm and lead guitar, and maintain a certain charisma with ease during the entire show. There is a dip in the momentum only briefly during the performance I'll Be There, but the concert is pretty much one stellar performance after another.

Content — 8
If you're a Megadeth fan, you will need little else but the Buenos Aires concert to feel satisfied with the DVD. The live show includes 17 songs (plus one extra version of Symphony Of Destruction) and runs about 95 minutes long. There are also a few quick cuts away from the stage performance to show Mustaine and Drover doing an impromptu acoustic performance on the grass. Those little vignettes are brief, but provide a nice contrast to the steady distortion you hear song after song. As thrilling a performance as the Buenos Aires concert is, viewers at home might feel a little short-changed because of the few bonus features. While many bands today are going all-out by including documentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, and their video collection all on one DVD, Megadeth has kept this one simple. The Argentina show is the gist of the DVD, but it's still a worthwhile purchase for anyone who has been a fan of the band since the '80s.

Production Quality — 9
Featuring a wide variety of camera angles and styles, That One Night keeps things interesting visually throughout. There are times when key moments in guitar solos are suddenly given a backseat to a shot of the audience, and those are really the only annoying moments in the DVD. All in all, it's edited tightly and also features a fantastic mix of the audio, which provided a great balance for the vocals and instruments.

Overall Impression — 9
Unexpectedly, the Buenos Aires crowd is pure entertainment in itself. The hypnotized fans sing along with pretty much everything that is played by Megadeth -- and I mean everything. That means that every guitar lick that Mustaine plays in Holy Wars is sung in somewhat of a duh-doo-duh-doo-duh-doo-dah-dah... There just aren't a lot of fans who go to that level of commitment in terms of singing along, and it's a fascinating display of worship. Aside from the music, Mustaine displays a deeply emotional side to his personality. He seems genuinely touched and appreciative by the Buenos Aires crowd, often times mouthing thank you and putting his hand over his heart. Mustaine is no longer the young kid angry at Metallica for dropping him by the wayside, but seeing That One Night proves he hasn't lost one ounce of his onstage intensity.

43 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Born 2 Slash
    I love this DVD. It is very well done. Some of my favorite songs on the DVD are: Reckoning Day, A Tout Le Monte, She-Wolf, and Hangar 18. Rock On!!
    whytefyre_hawk
    quote]Murderface x3 wrote: Megadeth is the best thrash band of all time. They, unlike some of their peers (you know who), don't have a cutoff point at which their music starts to suck. LONG LIVE MEGADETH!!![/quote] Megadeth never reached a cutoff point of suckiness because they have sucked from the start.They are trying to hard to be Metallica and they failed.I mean seriously,listen to hangar 18 and then call of the ktulu.ITS THE SAME FUCKING THING!!!!! Except Megadeth waited 5 years to steal it.Dave Mustaine needs to get the cock out of his throat and learn how to sing.Seriously.....call of the hangar 18????? p.s. watch live shit if you want to watch a good thrash performance(Seattle)
    DavepallekA
    Sweet, Great reveiw. All the nice little details were pointed out. Good to know what was said. I'll be picking this up in no time for sure. METAL! I'm just gonna say, This whole bullshit with Megadeth and 'Tallica is getting way old. Both 'Tallica and Megadeth are seriously talented bands, and now your bringing in Slayer and Anthrax? Jesus. There's no use in waisting your time to bitch about who's better. They were all called 'The big four' for a reason, They all are good. Two words... Grow Up.
    Schnitzel_Man
    Some people can't help themselves. Even when you say you like all of them, people tell you that you're wrong.
    King ofKumbucha
    DavepallekA wrote: I'm just gonna say, This whole bullshit with Megadeth and 'Tallica is getting way old. Both 'Tallica and Megadeth are seriously talented bands, and now your bringing in Slayer and Anthrax? Jesus. There's no use in waisting your time to bitch about who's better. They were all called 'The big four' for a reason, They all are good. Two words... Grow Up.
    Truth.
    NeoNoks
    megadeth..aguante megadeth,,..that is what whe sing here in argentina
    not_dead_enough
    k1ng_pooh wrote: Schnitzel_Man : Megadeth is great I love Hangar 18, but I still prefer Metallica. Actually, Load is my favourite album. POSTED: 03/19/2007 - 10:12 pm / quote | wtf is wrong with you? Load? are you high? and metallica an mega death are ****ing stupid. do yourself a favor and go buy a slayer album right now
    I wanna ask you the same thing...
    MEGADETH1122 wrote: its not james lomenzo on the dvd its james macdonough
    Yeah that's what I was thinking as I read it too. And it seems half the world on here doesn't have it yet in their country, despite (correct me if i'm wrong) the "international" release date of March 6. PLEASE COME TO AUSTRALIA! PS: For me, Megadeth 100, Metallica 95
    -Boydy-
    mfergel wrote: I've heard some audio from the DVD and it's pretty bad. Really disappointed in the sound. Dave's vocals are bit too loud, the bass is almost non-existant and the guitars have a real buzzsaw sound to them. Shame because I would have really liked this otherwise.
    This guy probably heard the audio rip from the dvd, the quality on it sucks and can be downloaded off most torrent sites...i have the real copy and its amazing, long live the deth
    Schnitzel_Man
    Megadeth is great I love Hangar 18, but I still prefer Metallica. Actually, Load is my favourite album.
    Centurion
    I mean seriously,listen to hangar 18 and then call of the ktulu.ITS THE SAME FUCKING THING!!!!!
    As far as I remember it was Mustaine that wrote those parts of Call of Ktulu used for Hanger 18. No wait, it was - its right there on the Ride The Lightning sleeve.
    K!!LsWiTcH
    good review not biased sounding either. i just bought the dvd from my friend for 7 bucks.
    ToysInTheAttic
    whytefyre_hawk wrote: quote]Murderface x3 wrote: Megadeth is the best thrash band of all time. They, unlike some of their peers (you know who), don't have a cutoff point at which their music starts to suck. LONG LIVE MEGADETH!!!
    Megadeth never reached a cutoff point of suckiness because they have sucked from the start.They are trying to hard to be Metallica and they failed.I mean seriously,listen to hangar 18 and then call of the ktulu.ITS THE SAME FUCKING THING!!!!! Except Megadeth waited 5 years to steal it.Dave Mustaine needs to get the cock out of his throat and learn how to sing.Seriously.....call of the hangar 18????? p.s. watch live shit if you want to watch a good thrash performance(Seattle)[/quote] 1. Mustaine wrote The Call of Ktulu (not call of the ktulu) 2. Megadeth is not trying to be Metallica (your just incredibly ignorant) 3. At least Mustaine still has his voice (compare the vocals from this dvd to Hetfields in"The Other New Song) 4. Hangar 18 is one of Megadeth's greatest songs (you would realize this if you listened to the song for more than 2 seconds) 5. Megadeth is equal in greatness to Metallica 6. Live Shit is a very good performance, but you should be comparing it to Megadeth vids when they were still under 40
    ESPshredfreak08
    There's no way to settle the whole big four thing. Everyone is different. Thats like trying to settle Pepsi Vs. Coke. Theres not a snowballs chance anyone anywhere is going to make a difinitive conclusion on this. Megadeth is ****ing awesome. So many musicians owe their whole life to Dave Mustaine's guidance. I love older Metallica, older Anthrax and above all Slayer. I love the big four of thrash, and if you guys don't, please pick up a new album and a guitar and have fun.
    holywars_guitar
    Megadeth have done it again, had one of the worlds best concerts i just got the dvd day before and still havent watched it even though i have been dying 2, this is because it doesnt deserve 2 be played on my computer or y tv's shit speakers it deserves 2 be played through a home theatre system which will be arriving in my house in an hour , songz 2 look out for Holy Wars, Symphony of Destruction, hangar 18, Kick The Chair, Trust, Tout le monde, Im mY darkest hour MEGADETH 4 LIFE, personally i prefer Megadeth anyday 2 Metallica
    TheSilverBeatle
    First off...am I the only who notices that you can barely hear Dave's guitar, and secondly A God is a dumb ass Mustaine was kicked out because Hetfield is a hypocrite who thought that Mustaine was to much a drunk, yet decades later James has to check into rehab.
    Slash_HuDsOn
    ^ haha slayer OPEN E CHUGGING YEAH.....*next song comes around* OPEN E CHUGGING YEAH, lather, rinse and repeat
    thetonto
    luckeas : muah...if you look at mettalicas songs cliff was the one who wrote the great songs.like master of puppets. and Dave wrote all the great solos james just stole all daves material and ripped him off.
    Why yes that obviously explains the creation of Master of Puppets, And Justice for All, and so forth! You stupid f*cking kids think you have a clue but you don't cause you are some young high schooler living in your little angst-filled room listening to screamo and crying in a corner! Mustaine is hands down my favourite frontman and the most dominant influence in my playing. But James (...Hetfield) is definitley amongst Iommi as the King of Rythem. Why the hell would he need to rip Dave off?
    insomniac38
    Yeah, this dvd rocks!!! Very good review. Sometimes i wish the fans here were that enthusiastic at shows.
    bodom_child_667
    to mfergel, if you didnt have all the audio plugs in your tv/sound system thets why the sound was bad, it took me forever to figure out with my playstation. and i really dont think megadeth has lived in metallicas shadow, i think they basically blow away anything that etallica has EVER done and ever will do, and they didnt let a crappy drummer ruin the band either, probably the best dvd ive ever seen
    thedarkblues06
    A Tout Le Monde, Hangar 18, Skin O' My Teeth, Angry Again, Holy Wars: The Punishment Due, Peace Sells, the list KEEPS GROWING MATE! Megadeth rocks my face..and Mustaine needs to give me lessons, lol.
    mfergel
    I've heard some audio from the DVD and it's pretty bad. Really disappointed in the sound. Dave's vocals are bit too loud, the bass is almost non-existant and the guitars have a real buzzsaw sound to them. Shame because I would have really liked this otherwise.
    Spamwise
    South American concerts always seem to be the best. Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio, Rush's Rush in Rio, and now this are all amazing.
    Lin
    Great, objective proffessional review. The endless " are the best! 10/10/10" reviews we get here are pretty worthless, but your review is convincing enough that i may actually get this. Thanks.
    luckeas
    muah...if you look at mettalicas songs cliff was the one who wrote the great songs.like master of puppets. and Dave wrote all the great solos james just stole all daves material and ripped him off.
    Tyler Durden
    Mustaine still has it I'll tell you that much - I saw them live last week for Heaven & Hell with Sabbath, and Dave stole the show with his solos - I was right up front and could not believe how amazing he is still - cant wait to get this DVD
    Bored to Tears
    Thank God Dave was kicked out of Metallica many years ago. I hope I can get my hands on this DVD. Yay Megadeth, woot.
    Murderface x3
    Megadeth is the best thrash band of all time. They, unlike some of their peers (you know who), don't have a cutoff point at which their music starts to suck. LONG LIVE MEGADETH!!!
    a god
    man mustaine was kicked out of metallica for a reason. he was an angry kid who had anger problems. luckeas you need to check what the heck you are saying before you say it. james ripped off mustaines work? james gave him credit for every single song he did anything for. Metallica and Megadeth are both good bands. dave is a really talented shredder im not saying he isn't. but dave himself said that he was sick of always being second to metallica sales and popularity wise. i dont agree with that- it think they are both truly great bands. so stop saying one is better over the other--they both got their style.
    \m/ slayer \m/
    in my darkest hour is an exetremely underrated song. i dont think that megadeth/mustaine have been in metallica's shadow. i think thats just because they didnt't have one commercial/radio friendly album
    sp0ckr0cks
    megadeth look really good, hell, united abominations might just be what we are all homing it will be, TRUE MOTHERPHUCKING METAL AGAIN!!
    zkbls06
    i think it was better that dave didnt go to far with metallica, because i belive megadeth is alot better and they are so amazing, i dont have this dvd because no one in my town has it on thier shelves yet but trust me, i will have it soon
    SHADOW OF DEATH
    that one night is probably the best dvd concert ive seen mustaine is god. saw them on the heaven and hell tour, they didnt dissapoint!!!!! but james mcdonough is the bassist on the dvd not james lomenzo