That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires [DVD] Review

artist: Megadeth date: 08/25/2010 category: compact discs
Megadeth: That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires [DVD]
Release Date: March 6, 2007
He may be a little older and wiser, but Dave Mustaine proves he is still a powerful force in metal today with That One Night.
 Content: 7.8
 Production Quality: 8.6
 8.9
 8.5
 9.2
 1,135
That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 19, 2007

Sound: In the film Some Kind Of A Monster, which chronicled the recording of Metallica's St. Anger album, there was a particular moment that stood out more than all of the studio sessions combined. It was the moment when Megadeth frontman (and former Metallica guitarist) Dave Mustaine confronted drummer Lars Ulrich to reveal that he's felt as if he had been living in Metallica's shadow for the past few decades. As true as that heartache probably has been for Mustaine, the man definitely has his devotees, as is apparent in the latest DVD that showcases a 2005 show in Buenos Aires. That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires, Megadeth's live DVD recorded on October 9, 2005, is an impressive showing of the band's latest incarnation, vocalist/guitarist Dave Mustaine, guitarist Glen Drover, bassist James Lomenzo, and drummer Shawn Drover. While Mustaine remains the stronghold that has kept Megadeth alive for all of the years, the current status of the group is as impressive as ever in terms of playing dead-on versions of classics like Peace Sells and Tornado Of Souls. Although it's somewhat disappointing to no longer see Mustaine's former partner-in-crime, bassist Dave Ellefson, you would be hard-pressed to find a tighter lineup than the one present on the latest DVD. That One Night briefly includes commentary by Mustaine and the other band members in the introduction, but it wastes little time in getting to the main attraction, the stage show. Mustaine may be 45 years old, but his unbelievable talent at guitar shredding has not been altered in the slightest. While Drover does the majority of lead work, there is still a hefty amount that has been allotted to Mustaine. The most impressive display comes in Hangar 18, when Mustaine and Drover do a bit of dueling guitars in what is easily the most impressive moment on the DVD. While it may seem Mustaine's vocals are a bit off at first, he rapidly recovers by the second song Set The World Afire. More impressively, he is able to sing, play rhythm and lead guitar, and maintain a certain charisma with ease during the entire show. There is a dip in the momentum only briefly during the performance I'll Be There, but the concert is pretty much one stellar performance after another. // 9

Overall Impression: Unexpectedly, the Buenos Aires crowd is pure entertainment in itself. The hypnotized fans sing along with pretty much everything that is played by Megadeth -- and I mean everything. That means that every guitar lick that Mustaine plays in Holy Wars is sung in somewhat of a duh-doo-duh-doo-duh-doo-dah-dah... There just aren't a lot of fans who go to that level of commitment in terms of singing along, and it's a fascinating display of worship. Aside from the music, Mustaine displays a deeply emotional side to his personality. He seems genuinely touched and appreciative by the Buenos Aires crowd, often times mouthing thank you and putting his hand over his heart. Mustaine is no longer the young kid angry at Metallica for dropping him by the wayside, but seeing That One Night proves he hasn't lost one ounce of his onstage intensity. // 9

That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires [DVD] Reviewed by: \m/Torin\m/, on january 10, 2008

Sound: Well it's Megadeth and if you enjoy their famous heavy riffs and fast solos then this DVD is deffinatly for you! It contains soo many classics. All of the songs sound just like they would in the studio on with the energy of a live audience. This DVD also has amazing sound. // 10

Overall Impression: It compares greatly with their other albums, which are great too. The most impressive thing on this DVD is probably either the amazing guitar shredding skills they still have, or the crowd. Overall I loved that it was a great concert and you can almost feel like your there with out "being there". The only thing I hated was, it had to end but everything does. If I ever lost this DVD or it were stolen, I'd deffinatly get it again! well thank you for your time and please rate. // 10

That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires [DVD] Reviewed by: Mental-lica, on october 09, 2007

Sound: The sound on this was excellent. You may notice that Dave has kind of lost his voice on some of the songs like Tornado of Souls but on every other song he does an excellent job. This guy is still a beast at the guitar and hits every note with percession even after 3 years of almost no play. After all, this was one of Megadeths first shows in almost 3 years after Dave Mustaine was diagnosed with some disorder in his hand that enabled him to him curl his fingers around his guitar. But he's back with a new line up which includes the awesome Glen Drover who also does a great job at every song (especially Return to Hangar). His brother Shawn is a pretty good drummer, has a little trouble with his feet but that's it. Megadeth is my favorite band and this is a DVD you don't want to miss out on if your a mega fan like me. // 9

Overall Impression: So good can't believe it. Great DVD! The most impressive thing about this DVD is that Dave can still kick out some awesome action and deliver a great show after all these years. Love everything you could possibly say about it except Tornado of Souls. And yes I would buy it if it was stolen. What are you talking about? // 9

That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2009

Sound: First, let me open up saying that I am a long time Megadeth fan (ever since I was 6), and I have always dreamed of seeing them live, and actually went to see them in this concert. I bought the DVD when it came out and was surprised about how much I missed. The drummers beat, the Bassists huge hands, Mustaine's spitting (haha), and the Lead Guitarists priceless face that happens about everytime they show him. The sound of the concert is incredible, Mustaine leads on with a steady chugging and a thick bass groove follows. Then those enormous drums. And finally the lead guitarist rips it out (almost sloppily at first). I only had one beef with their sound, Dave sounds somewhat more snarly and mean on album, and their performance of "Peace Sells" cut out my favorite part (If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line! The guitarists don't improvise much, but the bassist has went completely crazy with innovations. // 7

Overall Impression: I currently have a countless amount of Live DVD's in my "roster" and my favorites include, Fancy - Les Claypool, If All Goes Wrong - Smashing Pumpkins, and this. Megadeth put on a great show that night, but not their greatest. I still await the day that (hopefully) Marty Friedman will join back with this spectacular metal group. I have to say one thing... What is with the Audience in the front row?!?!? They look posessed! If I lost this record, I would definitely re-purchase it, along with the Warchest! // 8

That One Night: Live In Buenos Aires [DVD] Reviewed by: fitze12345, on august 25, 2010

Sound: Well i'm a huge THRASH METAL fan, and thrash doesn't get much better then Megadeth! It has as any easy to use menu and a Alternate version of the "Symphony of Destruction". It has a great track list which features "Blackmail the Universe" to "Hangar 18/Return to Hangar" to ballads like "Coming Home". // 8

Overall Impression: It is probably the most well known Megadeth concerts, it has a great setlist, and the band line up is practically perfect: Dave Mustaine - Rhythm and lead guitar, Lead vocals Glen Drover- Lead and rhythm guitar, Backing vocals James MacDonough- Bass, Backing vocals Shawn Drover- Drums The thing i like most is how they get the crowd involved by having them sing full chorus' & in "Trust" they have the crowd sing the chorus with just the drum and bass line and then Mustaine sings the chorus again in Spanish that is also the most impressive thing. If i was to lose it i would go out and buy another copy its a great dvd and is a great possession for any true Megadeth Fan. // 9

Comments