The System Has Failed review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 14, 2004
Megadeth: The System Has Failed

This is the first Megadeth album since Dave Mustaine's wrist injury. It is an amazing return to form for a more aggressive Megadeth, and should be a classic metal album. It is more thrashy than any recent material, but still has some slower tempo songs. 01. Blackmail The Universe - 4.5/5 - awesome, powerful, fast song with excellent drumming and powerful guitar playing. Cool riffs. 02. Die Dead Enough - 5/5 - my favorite song in recent memory. Awesome solos throughout, cool and powerful lyrics, and awesome melodies. 03. Kick The Chair - 4/5 - good, uptempo rocker. Awesome riffs, very cool lyrics. Definately heavey with that power groove feel. 04. The Scorpion - 3.5/5 - cool sound effects and power chord rhythms. I didn't really like the singing/lyrics. 05. Tears In A Vial - 5/5 - awesome verse and chorus. Has a cool, Maiden-esque gallop in the verse. Really cool singing and lyrics. 06. I Know Jack - some consider this filler, but I think it has really coll drums and guitar lines. It is only 40 seconds, so while it is not great, it is cool for 40 seconds no longer. I guess a 2.5/5. 07. Back In The Day - 4.5/5 - very catchy chorus that makes your head nod. Good riffs and intriging lyrics. 08. Something I'm Not - 1.5/5 - I just don't like this song. Not sure why. The lyrics are too talking-like. No real hook or outstanding feature of this song. 09. Truth Be Told - 5/5 - very cool, slow, dreamy verse transforms into a heavy chorus. Will also make you headbang. The verse lyrics are kinda silly, but lend to a cool atmosphere. 10. Of Mice And Men - 4.5/5 - awesome drumming, very interesting lyrics and cool harmony in the chorus. Good, palm-muted guitar parts. 11. Shadow Of Deth - 6/5 - I know I said Die Dead Enough is my favorite song, yet I rated this higher. This is more of a theme, not a song. It is so cool. A sinister voice recites David's Psalm 23 ("The Lord is my shepard...") In the background is some heavy guitar parts, then it breaks into another Maiden-esque lead guitar part. It is so cool, and makes me wanna shove my fist through a wall every time I hear it. (Sadly, it's only 2:15 long). 12. My Kingdom - 2.5/5 - might wanna fast forward the first 10 seconds of the same palm muted chord. Kinda interesting lyrics, but this song doesn't really go anywhere. Some cool parts where he talks (like when he says "Drink from the chalice...") Then goes into a standard metal solo break.

Lyrics aren't too important to me, except when they ruin a song, which they never do here. Pretty good compared to most metal lyrics. Some are very personal of Dave, which I like a lot. Definately a plus.

Overall 4.5/5. I like nearly every song on this album, which is rare. Definately amazing guitar-work. Highly recommended. I would buy it again if it were stolen. Interesting note, although the cover looks anti-Bush, Dave supports the president and his views on terroism and the war in Iraq. Good for him, he is not as ignorant as many other Hollywood liberal hippie types.