The System Has Failed review by Megadeth

• Released: Sep 14, 2004
Megadeth: The System Has Failed

This album is very solid. It really fells like it's everything good that Mustaine did in his career put into one little disc. The guitar playing is very good, adn you can tell Poland has improved tremendously over the nearly 20 years since Peace Sells with blindingly good solos. The bass and drums are very good. My only complaint is that some songs have very boring buildups and others seem like filler.

This is the most politically driven album since Rust In Peace (TWNAH had some lyrics like that as well). There are all kinds of corruption based stuff like I Know Jack, Blackmail the Universe, andf Kick The Chair. There are a couple of inner emotional songs (Die Dead Enough, Tears In A Vial). Other than that Mustaine Rules!

This is a good Megadeth album. Personally I like The World Needs a Hero better but this is good album for longtime fans of the band. My favorite song on it is Tears In A Vail. Other favs would be Die Dead Enough, Blackmail, Of Mice and Men, and My Kingdom. I'm just wondering what Mustaines gonna come up with next?. If any of my cd's of this band were stolen I would be super pissed (acually my SFSGSW was stolen before and I was), and I would definatley buy it again and again.

achiles03
    why is everyone talking metallica vs. megadeth? their both great thrash bands if not the best.
    Abnormal_Omish
    DaliLama
    KissingShadows wrote: Abnormal, you do know that Metallica used leads that Dave Mustaine wrote for their first three albums dont you? IMO Dave Mustaine put Metallica on the map, and when he got kicked out it just gave him a chance to make a band that could actually make music and not **** "chuga chuga" stuff.
    Not true, homeboy. I've heard No Life 'till Leather and Hammet barely starts the solos the same way as Mustaine and they are different from there. Mustaine wrote the chords to Ktulu and some in Ride the Lightning I think and maybe 1 or 2 more on Ride but Puppets is 100% Metallica. And we all know Mustaine only knows the blues scale so it's kind of a stretch to say that Hammet's modal arpeggios on Ktulu were Dave's licks. I do believe Megadeth got a raw deal in the cultural legacy department, believe me. But Metallica also did not just get lucky either. Metallica's legacy and fame are justified by their classic early work, and Megadeth should be held in the same regard. But Mustaine wrote Master of Puppets? Give me a ****ing break...
    Jawshuwa
    ...Whoops. Sorry for the double post, but I meant: Metallica Solos < Megadeth Solos.
    Jawshuwa
    Metallica Riffs > Megadeth Riffs. Metallica Solos > Megadeth Solos. Metallica = Thrash metal (complex). Megadeth = Speed metal (fast). I love Metallica. I like Megadeth. HOWEVER. The System Has Failed is miles ahead of the Black Album and Metallica's following albums STRICTLY in the sense of genre. I like how Metallica evolved more than how Megadeth stuck with their roots. Mustaine didn't send Metallica on the road to revolution; the COLLECTION of their (Hetfield, McGovney, Ulrich, Hammett, Mustaine, Burton) efforts sent them on the path to world domination. Ktulu is too repetitive, and Phantom Lord and Metal Militia are stale; The Four Horseman was Mustaine's only good contribution. Fight Fire With Fire is very bland and really only worked as an opener for the rest of Metallica's songs off of Ride the Lightning. Of course, Master of Puppets is considered their best work -- WHICH, Mustaine had no part of. ...And Justice For All is the most complex heavy metal album out there, more complex than -anything- Megadeth has written. Don't believe me ? Look at the Tab. OVER ALL. Megadeth is faster and has much better solos; you can pick out at least five songs Metallica's ever written and they'll probably have the same solo. Creeping Death, Leper Messiah, and Fade to Black I think all have roughly the same, for starters. Appreciate one band, or the other, or both; don't bash and use opinions or bias to try and glorify one of them.
    devilscruffs14
    you all are so stupid, stop trying to compare. they are both great. you guys need to understand that no matter who plays the music, or what it's like, that there is still billions of people out there that like it. jesus get over it.
    deth4ever
    this is y i hate site like this u get a bunch of clowns who do not nothin bout music. megadeth is better then metallica. reason are one . mustaine is a betterng songwriter and guitar player. also look at what type of music we are talkiNG bout THRASH METAL . look wat metallica became out with after and justice for all....crap!!!!"and nothing else matters"lol look at the megadeth carreer there songs and solo are insane. hanger 18 return to hangar holy war rust in piece ..ect i can list all day. as for metallica MOP was the last cool album even then literally half the songs suck(the thing that should not be .. wat the @#$% is that). u guys say mustaine didnt play a big part in metallica ... look at kill em all when u are in a band u share ideas b4 u record right. so i wouldnt be surprised if james got all of his ideas from mustaine. explaining metallica turned to shit(running out of cool ideas)...look at phantom lord that song kicks ass reason mustaine's work same with the fourhorse men . dave mustaine!!! 1990 metallica- black album(lame and gay), megadeth rust in piece!!!! this is only one example there are many. i play guitar megadeth is so much harder to play and the lead are crazy."wat about master of puppets" some say that beats any megadeth some....hmm holy wars, rust in peace polaris, hanger 18, return to hangar, ashes in your mouth,go to hell..whcih are all cool..the Mop solo slow one is gud but the fast on blow a2@s...even megadeth album art is @#$%in coolerlmao. so all u clowns get educated b4 saying metallica is better. i dont care bout personal opainion but musically in all THRASH metal ways megadeth pwns metallica! if u dont think so pick up a metallica tab book and a megadeth tab book and see 4 ur self.cliff was awsone bassist but wasnt the reason y metallica was gud . mustaine was.. proof ..ride the lighting ..id cliff was the man behind all the gud music then y does for whom the bell tolls, escape and traped under ice suck, fade to black is gud but not thrash metal and there hadly any bass work in it. p.s james sing like a b@#$% now his voice started to suck ..as for mustaine's still kicks ass! looking at the facts,OVERALL ABLUMSthe system has failed(not a fast but very gud for 20years later -st. anger 1(stop hitting a garbage can with drum sticks exampl, and complexity mustaine and megadeth rule over metallica!
    Metalhead1991
    cant u just agree both are amazing bands. metallica are alot better known but megadeth are an awsum band that deserve but be more known. personaly sum of mustaines vocals are plain wierd, but i really hate how metallica turned so crappy. so ther tied.
    kaptink
    mettalica with cliff > megadeth anyday! ... but without him not so much...
    Swamplord
    Actually, Mustaine only wrote some material for the 'Kill Em All' album. He was kicked out of Metallica before they even recorded that album.
    Metallica708
    You see, the entire reason for Megadeth's existance is to be better than metallica. Mustaine saw the reaction Metallica got from tweaking their sound slightly, so now, you can listen to every single megadeth album without knowing the difference! (this is coming from a big megadeth fan and metallica fan)
    Deth2Emo
    DaliLama
    Deth2Emo wrote: Mustaine is a much better singer, and an infinitely better lyricist, than Hetfield. He is also a much better riff writer than Hammet. The only reason these kids say Metallica is better, is because they've heard much more Metallica, and they don't understand Megadeth. TSHF is just another example of Megadeth staying strong as they always do, unlike that "St. Anger" bologna.
    Yeah, like "Crush 'em"
    Barboom
    i love megadeth's riffs but the vocals make me want to shit in a bowl of cornflakes an deat it sometimes. But, other than that, its all good.
    maidenfreakJL
    Megadeth is better than Metallica Metallica sold out and they were stupid enough to kick Dave Mustaine out of the band.
    Tedward
    Abnormal_Omish wrote: thankgod for metallica! they gave us another great band! Megadeth are legendary and this album is too
    i remember posting a message JUST like that a while back... I think metallica has slighlty less talent than Megadeth, way less in songwriting, but metallicas talent is more like concentrated in their better songs where they leave the crappy songs for you to find out about when you buy the cd. Megadeth spreads the goodness out, i have yet to here a 'bad' Meagadeth song.
    Triviumfan54
    Metallica are or were darker music, Megadeths more light and technical. Metallica are probably better for being able to write such atmospheric songs.
    White And Nerdy
    Good album, not as thrashy, but very technical guitar riffs. Die Dead Enough and The Scorpion are the best songs on it, to bad die dead enough video sucks though.
    Noverion
    why is it that whenever megadeth and metallica are mentioned in the same thread its about hoos better. i prefer metallica, but kirk hammet is a seriously over-rated guitarest, the riffs are awesome megadeth, much better lead guitars but not as good at other areas. simple
    drms&gtr_player
    Metallica is way better!The reason why their first albums where better, is because of cliff burton who has died, not because of mustaine!when Jason Newsted came in the band, they became softer.
    KissingShadows
    Instrumetal
    Metallica Solos = Metallica Solos Megadeth Solos = Megadeth Solos You Guys = Close mindeds idiots.