The World Needs a Hero review by Megadeth

• Released: May 15, 2001
Megadeth: The World Needs a Hero

Megadeth has been a band of different albums but all have spun from the guitar genius of Dave Mustaine. This is the first album without Marty Friedman in a decade, but not enough credit goes to his replacement Al Pitrelli or drummer Jimmy De Grasso (who was previously on Risk). Maybe because they had big shoes to fill or because it was the only album with this line up but they play really well together. David Ellefson's final album with band goes out terrifically with very driving rhythms and grooves. As a bassist I must say Ellefson has the greatest bass tone in thrash metal. This album seems to compile a collection of sound from every previous album. From the technicality of Rust In Peace to the melodic harmonies of Youthanasia, and with multiple solos (a Megadeth trademark) their just really good songs.

Mustaine to me is one of the greatest songwriters in history. He can write lyrics for just about anything. His voice may not be "pretty" but it instantly recognizable and no other singer could pull off singing for Megadeth. 01. Disconnect - the opening track is by far my favorite song on the album and one of my 5 favorite songs ever by them. It has a great riff and a fantastic melodic chorus. The main highlight of this song has to be Mustaines solo though. 02. The World Needs A Hero - really cool intro and has a catchy bass riff. Lyrics are about well someone stepping up to help the world out. 03. Moto Psycho - cool catchy song with great chug riff and has Dave's "don't mess with me attitude", nice solo fills and layered vocals. 04. 1000 Times Goodbye - I love this song, kinda reminds me of Rust In Peace-era Megadeth, cool lyrics about leaving someone, and nice fight in the middle of the song where Mustaine says "you know what you suck!" Also great guitar playing 05. Burning Bridges - this is a dark song but also my least fav. I like how the chorus goes and that's about it. 06. Promises - the softest song they've ever done, great string riff, my only complaint about it is that it's solo section sounds really cheesy 07. Recipe For Hate/Warhorse - yet another catchy bass riff from Ellefson during the 1st part of the song, it's a slow start but it picks up later in the song to a fast thrash part which is reminiscing those days of Killing to Countdown 'Deth. Awesome solos and double bass drumming in the fast part. 08. Losing My Senses - a pop rock song, kinda cool I don't have much to say on it 09. The Dread And The Fugitive Mind - awesome, amazing, song great riff and lyrics with him singing that Sweating Bullets 3rd person kinda thing during the verse, the best part of the whole song is Pirelli's solo that closes the song. 10. Silent Scorn - seems like filler, but I like that whole trumpet build-up. 11. Return To Hangar - sequels to songs are never as good as the original (ex. Metallica's Unforgiven 1&2) This song just sounds pretty cool but the best part is the duel solo bridge section. Just doesn't compare to the classic though. 12. When - slow song for a while the best part is like 4-5 minutes into the song (9 mins. total) when it goes in to this awesome riff which is ripped from Am I Evil (but I'm not complaining) and some cool solo's good way to end the album.

This is a good album to start off listening to this band if you are a beginner. This thrash album just has a lot to offer in the Megadeth catalog. Once you get this and like it you can move on to Rust In Peace, Peace Sells, and Youthanasia. If this album was stolen or lost I would really like to beat up the a-hole who took it from me but I would defiantly get it again.