United Abominations review by Megadeth

• Released: May 15, 2007
Megadeth: United Abominations

20+ years and Megadeth still has it. The follow up to '04s System has failed has not failed to impress; everything on this album is good, the guitars, vocals, bass, drums, and lyrics all are the strong points to the album. Many of the tracks are solid while some flourish and others stay mediocre. This album has some (actually most of them) songs that go back to the their thrash Peace Sells/Rust In Peace roots. There are fast riffs, clean riffs, shred solos, hard heavy riffs, and I think a funk (lucreta) sounding riff. Overall this album sounds like something that was coming from the early '90s, with it's hard core shred solo's and intruments, although their instuments are outstanding their lyrics could have been a little better.

01. Sleepwalker - a great opener. This song opens with a cool clean guitar part that quickly builds energy to a moderate thrash riff that builds into a song that reminds me of a cross between black friday, bad omen, and tornado of souls lyric wise. The song is cool but the chorus is repetitive and simple, but otherwise everything is awesome including the solos and the little thras riff that sounds a lot like the last riff before the final solo on Five Magics. 02. Washington Is Next! - great song, well good. This song has a riff that reminds me of Iron Maidens "the trooper" and has a chorus that reminds me of symphony of destruction (lyric and vocal wise) This song overall is good and has great solos especially the opening to the the first solo. 03. Never Walk Alone... A Call To Arms - this song reminds me of Tornado of Souls from the chorus to the intro, the only thing that doesn't remind me of tornado of souls is the cool bridge solo part that starts at around 2:30, mediocre song overall, but has cool solos. 04. United Abominations - this song starts with a clean guitar and has cool solos but that's about it. I'm not really sure about this song necause the verses are good but the choruses are repetitive, but the part after the chorus is pretty good. 05. Gears Of War - the highlight of the album, I like this song a lot and even though it isn't the fastest or the most solo filled song it still never falls short of amazement. This song is heavy and reminds me of Polaris, trust, and something else I can't put my finger on it. After the second chorus it has this cool blues sounding riff that leads into a pretty good solo, which leads back into the blues riff which leads into a Rust in Peace style solo. 06. Blessed Be The Dead - pretty good, the intro sounds like a rock intro. This song would be better if the lyrics and chorus were changed. Unfortunatly the album kinda goes downhill from here. 07. Play For Blood - opens with a solo and a choppy sounding funk riff. The verse's guitar reminds me of take no prisoners. This like Blessed Be The Dead would be better if they would change the lyrics around a little bit oh yeah the solo's start to sound the same right about now. 08. A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) - random! 10+ years later and Megadeth decides to remake this song? Oh well it offers some relife from the dry spot between this song and Unided Abominations. This song is a little bit faster and is sung with a women in the background (I'm sorry I'm drawing a blank on her name). 09. Amerikhastan - this song has a lot of solos and reminds me of wake up dead and hangar 18 because more than half of this song is an instrumental, but is not as good. 10. You're Dead - the intro is cool and reminds me of another previous Megadeth song, the verses are pretty cool, and at about 1:11 this cool harmony guitar starts but ends quickly. This song is alright. 11. Burnt Ice - again same You're Dead, couls use a lot more work.

Megadeth has come along way since the days of risk, and are one step closer to producing another Rust In Peace, the instruments are heavy and fast and Dave's vocals rock, but the only thing wrong with this album are the repetitive choruses, and lyrics on some tracks. My Faves are Sleepwalker, Washington Is Next!, Gears Of War, and United Abominations. Those tracks are without a doubt the stand out tracks of ther album and I recommend you listen to them. Great job guys you're almost there!