United Abominations review by Megadeth

• Released: May 15, 2007
Megadeth: United Abominations

The highly anticipated album "United Abominations" comes out for the US tomorrow on March 15th. Once again, Dave Mustaine and his new crew deliver a hard hitting album that won't disappoint fans worldwide. Although Mustaine is the last remaining original members, he still is able to maintain the same classic Megadeth sound while still allowing growth for his new members. The albums music is nothing short of amazing. The music remains hard hitting, sounding like a classic old album while still showcasing something new and fresh, which is hard for a band that's lasted so long to do. The riffs will keep any metal fan headbanging throughout the album, and make guitarists scurry to their guitars to learn them as quickly as possible. The solos are just fast and furious, but also beautiful and smooth. Glen Dover is a highly underrated guitarist and he really comes out in this album as a more gentler soloist then Mustaine, maintaining a legato stride throughout his solos, while still managing to sneek in some really complex licks. Mustaine is better then ever before, throwing out some fierce solos while also maintaining that clean and straight style he is known for. Ever song is original except for "A Tout Le Monde" which Mustaine re-recorded with the lead singer Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil for this album. The addition of the female vocals makes the song more elegant then it was before. Both of the vocalist seem to compliment each other throughout the song, and it helps that Cristina Scabbia's voice is very angelic and smooth.

The lyrics remain as political and controversial as ever before, exactly the way Mustaine intended. There seems to be a central theme throughout the lyrics and the entire album. The art cover and the back story on the booklet all tie in to the lyrics and the albums central theme. I won't give away the theme so the fans could enjoy figuring it out themselves, but you should already guess it involves politics and national destruction. Certain songs ask for certain lyrics, and Mustaine truly delivers. When the guitars are hard hitting, fast and furious, Mustaine delivers the vocals with that almost demonic voice of his, without sounding like he is straining himself or going to far out of his range. Indeed, in this album, I don't think fans will be whining that Mustaine sounds too "whiny" as in the previous albums. While some songs are somewhat darker then others, Mustaine's Christian influences do come out on some of them, especially on the song "Never Walk Alone... A Call to Arms" which could be interpretted in many ways, one being that a higher power is always with you.

In the beginning of the thrash era, and leading the movement afterwards, Metallica always seemed ahead of the game. While Megadeth was always closely behind, Mustaine himself admits Metallica was the bigger band. That was back in the 1980s. Today, it is safe to say that Megadeth has far surpassed Metallica. Though Mustaine remains the last original member (indeed Mustaine is Megadeth) the band remains fiercer then ever before. While Metallica went through the stages and produced albums completely different from the one before, Megadeth always tried to remain true to it's origins and keep the thrash era alive through the decades. United Abominations comes out tomorrow, but I've had it since last Friday, and it's a great listen. For the generation of today, I would dare to say that I wouldn't be surprised if it turns to one of those classic albums. It's heavy hitting, thrashy with old and new tastes combined, the harmonies are beautiful as are the legato moments on the album, the theme remains through the album, the solos by Dave Mustaine and Glen Dover are nothing short of masterful, and Mustaine is a god. I'd recommend any fan of metal to go get it, you won't be disappointed. Each song is enjoyable to listen to, and I hold this album in high regard to some of Megadeth's classic albums such as R.I.P. or P.S.B.W.B. If it were stolen, I would buy ten copies to make sure I never run out of it again. Oh, and wait till you see Vic with hair and skin.