United Abominations review by Megadeth

• Released: May 15, 2007
Megadeth: United Abominations

01. Sleepwalker - well all the Megadeth fans probably already heard this, and it's a good song, melo at start, then get right into Dave's master thrash riffing, and obviously more then one solo. 02. Washington Is Next! - some Megadeth fans might have already heard this at Megadeths tour with Heaven and Hell, which I was lucky to have gone too. The intro has kinda a flickering guitar lick, then There's a nice solo and Like most Megadeth songs Dave changes the tempo a minute before the end of the song. 03. Never Walk Alone... A Call To Arms - this song opens with a nice guitar riff. Then nice solo, and straight after the solo a melo tone that's soothing, then bam guitar kicks the licks. 04. United Abominations - the albums title song. Starts off like Secret Place, then switches to Blackmail The Universe intro. Then a nice riff comes in. And a beautiful solo comes. more riff then ends like intro. 05. Gears Of War - now I know everyone should've heard this song already since it was on the web for along time. People were disappionted with this. but I like this song for the fact of the heavy riffs. Doesn't sound like a song for the video game. Could be wrong but it just sonds like a song about soldiers in a battle. And you guessed it a nice solo included to end the song. 06. Blessed Are The Dead - starts off with a Iron Maiden feel with the bass going then you here Dave's voice, and you already like the song. It pulls you in, Then gets somewhat boring. after awhile you get solo and lots of drums with it. Then ends. 07. Pray For Blood - one of my favourite songs on the album. Starts with speeding guitar. Then heavy riffs. And like Hangar 18 it includes lots of solo's. this song is a great Megadeth song. 08. A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) - this song was already made before but Dave figured he should do it again because of the Montreal Shooting, if I got my facts right. I do prefer the original, but Christina Scabbia does give it a nice touch to give it a more beautiful feeling, this is one of Megadeth's best songs hands done, but original is better. 09. Amerikhastan - my ing ears shouldn't be blaring my music when this song starts. loud screech on the intro be aware, cus it's s ign of a kick ass Megadeth Song. Solo before the minute mark. In all 3 nice solos. 10. Youre Dead - very classic Megadeth sound, really brings back Rust in Peace. Deffinatly One of the highlight songs. Love the classic feel. 11. Burnt Ice - the last song of the album, and what a song. Deffinatly the best song of the album. Starts agressive and speedy for short time. Then classic Megadeth sound, it's just an amazing song, with lots of solos. and the solos are amazing, I love the solos on this song. I love this song.

Dave wrote this album about the UN and the wars going on. And the lyrics are amazing, as good as Peace Sells.. But Whos Buying. You know exacly what he's talking about. Mustaine Obviously has the voice for Thrash Metal. and he brings it on this album. Everything is great.

Compared to Other albums this is up there with the best. It might seem like I like this album a lot 'cause of hype. But at first I did not like this album, but I was briefing through it cause I wanted to listen to all of it as fast as I can. Then a Hour later I gave it another chance and I was amazed at what Dave has made. Most impressive songs are in my opnion. Burnt Ice, You're Dead, Pray For Blood, United Abominations, and SleepWalker. I love this album cause Dave Brought the agressive Classic Megadeth Feel back, Feels just like Rust In Peace, and Peace Sells. If it got stolen/lost I would buy it again and buy more copys for my friends. But for now I hope it doesnt't break or get stolen cause I would have to wait til it officailly comes out. This is a most pick up for Megadeth fans and people interested in Megadeth. Oh and compared to Metallica, Megadeth seems to be better, Dave has not lost his sound and this is one of the best metal albums this year so far, up there with Machine Heads The Blackening. Sorry for the bad review people, but I was excited about getting a early version of the album.

Nhex (PT)
    hmm in their albuns artworks they kind of copy iron maiden but the important is that megadeth is a great band who never run of the origins and keeps metaling our heads
    Princessofdarkn
    Addicted2Chaos wrote: This album is unbelievable the only thing i think it was missing was the way Dave use to perform his vocals, i.e. Tornado of Souls and Never Say Die to name a few. Any1 agree?
    I agree. . . I miss his old vocals. We need the infamous Mustaine snarl!
    HyperBoy2519
    unfortunately im 17 now so i never was a "true" Megadeth fan...i got into them with this CD so i cant really say anything credible but this is a very good cd. i will definetely be checking out their older stuff.
    Reager
    Ok, now this comes from a very hard critic. And a diehard Megadeth fan who acually owns the entire catalog (save the greatest hits stuff and Still Alive) And several bootlegs. Honestly musicially speaking its some of their most solid work in years. Maybe going all the way back to Countdown. The Drovers have some mighty heft shows to fill and thats going to the both of them. Lets be honest Gar, Nick, and Jimmy were all very good drummers. As for Marty, Chris, Al, and even Jeff...well hats off to Glenn for being able to even hold up with them. Let alone reproduce it fairly accurately. Drover seems to have a very Marty-ish guitar style on this album. IMO opinion sort of Marty and Petrucci slapped together with his random speed runs. All and all Drover put out a solid effort on this album. Not up to Rust in Peace levels...but nothing ever will be that one of the best metal guitar albums of all time. The drums are very solid, lot of double bass work, good transition runs. All and all a solid out, same goes for the bass on that album. Hate the line up or not, they are tight, on the same page. And kick ass, which makes imo the tightest sound since the RIP lineup. Dave's vocals are also pretty good on it. Keeping up with his new cleaner smoother vocal style we first heard on The System has Failed. Though I miss the old crazy screaming madman from before...he's still a good frontman. But I do have a couple complaints. Though this album is very solid from start to finish there is no one song that really stands out and screams friggin awesome. I was hopeing for Dave to pump out another Blackmail type track that just made you go...whoa that kicks ass. Saddly there isnt one of those tracks on this album. But its still very solid, no songs I skip over...unlike TSHF that had several songs on it I didnt care for. My second and only real complaint is the lyrics. The album is basically a list of songs about Iraq. And though Dave has always done anti-political stuff. It seems he was going to a really preachy level on this album with his vocals. And as the album progresses you start to loose interest in what he has to say fast. But the idea to toss A Tout Le Monde in at the end breaks the mold so that helps a lot. All and All 8 out of 10. Solid outting, better than The System has Failed. But lack luster lyrics keep me from rating it any higher. But it does show that Dave can still run with the best of them in the Metal Scene. And its WAY better than anything Metallica has done in recent years. And tops the new Slayer album by leaps and bounds. In closing, go friggin Megadeth!
    not_dead_enough
    No your exact words were:
    ...just i hate the line up...
    not_dead_enough
    -megadeth- wrote: I think that Dave Mustaine is way better than Kirk hammett, but I think that Kirk hammett has more emotion in his solos. Dave owns krik in terms f shredding, but kirk put more feeling in his solos. But no doubt that Dave is the better player.
    Nah I think Dave's solos have much more emotion than people realise. It's just that those 'emotions' are different ones. People gotta remember that not every emotional guitar solo has to be one that makes you wanna burst into tears. Like the solo in Holy Wars (classic example); it's pretty obvious that with RIP Dave just wanted to make something that shat all over any Metallica effort technically (and IMO he succeeded). His emotions coming out were those relentless pursuits of complexity and skill that not even Kirk Hammett could touch. To me that's much more real emotion than in any solo Kirk has done, coz Kirk's never really had anything to really be emotional about beyond some sad movies they wrote songs about (i.e Welcome Home (Sanitarium) and One). Anyway Dave has his slower, more powerful solos too; just look at Shadow of Deth, Die Dead Enough and In My Darkest Hour for instance.
    jfsj123 wrote: what album is the song new world order on
    thisHATEinside
    To all the people wondering why Vic looks different it's because the album is supposed to be a sort-of prequel to "Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?", and if you remember the artwork for that album was a skeletal Vic holding a sign with "FOR SALE" on it and the U.N. was in ruin. On this album cover Vic and the Angel (not sure who she is) are destroying the U.N. by blowing up the oil inside and Vic is a man. By the time of "Peace Sells", Vic has become the skeleton we all love. I must say it's a rather creative decision by Dave (aka God), and it shows how Megadeth have truly gone back to the music of their glory days. Speaking of which, this is HANDS-DOWN my favorite album EVER since Rust In Peace, which is definitely the greatest album EVER. In fact, this album is at least their best since Countdown to Extinction. The solos are original and INCREDIBLE, even though comparing Glen to Marty is not possible because although Marty has more experimental type of solos, Glen uses a more legato style, much more of a flowing feel, yet it still retains that ability for the listener to remember it. The lyrics are also absolutely MIND-BLOWING especially on "Washington is Next!", and the drums are also great, although I agree that Nick Menza' s parts were better, but it is apparent that Shawn could play them as well. I disagree with those that think that Dave's earlier vocals were better, because I loved them but this deeper, gnarlier voice is so incredible, and it is indeed apparent that Dave still has his snarl on tracks like "Washington is Next!" and "Never Walk Alone". Even James Lomenzo has great chops on bass on this album, even though my biggest complaint on this album was that you couldn't hear the bass part very well at all, which makes it hard for bassists like me that want to play it. Overall I give it an 11/10 (yes you heard me!!). I had heard such great things about this album before it was released, and I anxiously waited for months before that fateful "May 15th" when I received my pre-ordered copy in the mail. My extremely high hopes were blown OUT OF THE WATER. THE best album of 2007, guaranteed, and the best METAL album of the 2000's since Iron Maiden's "A Matter of Life and Death" (another simply excellent album by another classic metal band). This album proves the truth every Megadeth fan has known for eternity: MEGADETH OWNS METALLICA!!!!
    Addicted2Chaos
    hahaha bad knee? c'mon now. Don't make excuses for the guy. This line up is bad ass no matter how you look at it. why are you idiots even arguing about this? All this band will ever need is Dave. Period. yea Marty was awsome, and so was ellefson (whose a pussy and i no longer respect him due to his bullshit metallica interview), etc. but this line-up has massive potential. Did you not here this ****ing album?
    operation ktulu
    not_dead_enough wrote: operation ktulu wrote: DenHond wrote: ...a good album, but i hate the new line up, I'm a die hard Megadeth fan, but I hate the new guitarist Drover looks to gay, his guitars are like a Dean version of a Les Pauls and a Dean stratocaster (a KE or a V would be more fitting)... I want Marty, David and Nick back... I agree, this is a sweet album, just i hate the line up, Marty could take Glen to town, David is better than LoMenzo, and Nick Menza is amazing. No. I saw this new lineup live and Glen had absolutely no trouble playing all Marty's old solos. Marty is an awesome guitarist, but his personality is too soft for a metal band. His contribution to Megadeth will never be forgotten, but the moment has passed. Shawn Drover never missed a beat playing all Nick's old stuff too. And if you know the story behind it you'll know that Nick WAS supposed to come back but couldn't basically because he's lost most of his skill over the years. So even if Nick does come back, you won't hear drumming anywhere near as good as the old (and obviously you won't hear Holy Wars again).
    Are you kidding me? You are saying this line-up is better than the classic one. Jesus Christ, Glen uses the most common pattern for soloing in all of his solos and his brother is a Menza wanna be. And Menza did not loose his skill, he wasn't familiar with the music anymore. You try not playing any Megadeth for that long and hop back on with a bad knee and do it perfectly.
    Addicted2Chaos
    ^all good.
    ytse Jammer wrote: Is it better than Machinhead - the blackening
    I'd say yeah it is, but by no means is The Blackening a bad album. These two together are likely to be the two best metal albums of the year (and UA the slight better of the two). Unless you're that strapped for cash/bandwith that you can only afford one of them I see no reason to dwell on which is better because we can just enjoy both of them! However when it comes to it I like UA more. Put it this way, if you liked The Blackening, then chances are you'll like this even more! Check it out.
    fnoof
    I agree completely. Metallica really are going to have to pull something drastic out of thier asses in order to beat this album. Metallica are all but dead to be honest and Dave is a better guitarist than Hetfeild and Hammett put together x10. Now on the album, kick ass. Megadeth never fail to please me (apart from "RISK" which was terrible). Its amazing how many solos they managed to throw together, with each sounding as good as the next.
    confinedforever
    Bored to Tears wrote: Divinephyton wrote: Though I don't like the normal talking (you'll hear a lot of it too, to me it just sounds like propaganda for his point of view) throughout the cd, I do love everything else. It's def a thrash album you want to buy! Yeah, the talking bothers me, I usually fast forward it because I want to hear music. If I wanted to listen to talk, I would listen to rap. This album is very good but I don't like the talking and Vic isn't on the cover. Everyone
    um ur blind then vic is deff on the cover bro, with an angel behind him, they just made vic with a body haha and look ****in badass
    Stant
    I just can't wait to see them in Copenhagen june 5th.. just gonna be the most important concert of my life!
    POWERMETAL!
    if you find yourself asking weather or not you should leave your computer and go buy it right now then stop reading this now and go buy it!!!!! its absolutly an amazing cd and even for megadeth (and the high standards everyone has for them) its very good. so if your are asking that question and still reading this you are losing out on time you could be hearing a great album. its definatly better than any of the other modern rock bands, or people that try to call themselves "Metal". THIS IS METAL!!!!!
    Stop Messin'
    Dave Mustaine is wicked. I hate when people say he's an *****. He's not. The thing with Dave is.....he's smart and he knows it, but he shows it in a way that doesn't make him cocky.
    BlackicN
    I disagree. Most of Hammett's solo make my ear cringe. When Dave plays I just can't sit still and listen. It gives me eargasms.
    Vulturous
    metalhammer79 wrote: Some people were born to make music. Dave Mustaine is one those people.
    Very very well said dude.
    beto/doom_krew
    this album is badazz i bought the first day it came out at a best buy and it blew me away. when i saw videos of them playing gears of war and washingtons next and sleepwalker i knew i had to buy this album and i did sleepwalker is gonna be one of those classic megadeth songs
    operation ktulu
    not_dead_enough wrote: operation ktulu wrote: yeah i heard it and i loved it all im saying is the classic one is better. **** No your exact words were: ...just i hate the line up... Hate is a strong word. Anyway i'm not here to nitpick. We all agree the new album rocks, that's the important thing.
    let me clear this up i heard the album it was sweet, i was saying the classic line up was better.
    -megadeth-
    MetalliCarnage
    great album, best album since countdown, the instrumental parts are so good theyre almost orgasmic! metallica's gonna have a ****in hard time competing with stuff like this Deth forever, bitches!
    DenHond
    Great album , but the guitars sound sometimes a bit to modern (japanese a like), i'd prefer the trashy distortion from the first three albums...
    dimebag84
    love megadeth, but i really hated toute le monde before, and i hate it even more with scabbia on it, sounds too cheesy, and too pop for me. Plus washington is next, nice statement, but not a good song to back it up.. pretty much all in all like last album
    Dr. Knox666
    Holy shittt! What an album! It's as good as RiP (maybe even better)! Saw em live at Rock im Park and they were f***in awesome!Mustaine really is a god on his axe.
    not_dead_enough
    jfsj123 wrote: can sum1 tell me wat new world order is on (what album?)
    not_dead_enough wrote: jfsj123 wrote: what album is the song new world order on Originally it was on the A Tout Le Monde (1994) single. A demo version of the song was also on the remastered Youthanasia which came out in 2004. To the best of my knowledge, New World Order was a song from recording Youthanasia that didn't make the cut. Shame coz it's a great song.
    You didn't hear me the first time??
    Bongofdestiny
    zerodeck wrote: wouldn't say they surpassed metallica, hard to do that, but they come close, very close
    hmm... mabie not
    suspender lad
    i would have to say that i think kirk has almost no feeling in his solos. there so saturated in wah its just almost bad. but im talking in solo respects and not riffing some od those riffs like puppetts and battery just blow me away
    stondagain
    Just picked it up...and to the ears of this 38-year-old Deth fan, it ****ing kills. I'll admit, from song to song some of the riffs kind of blend together, but what the hell! Hey Godsmack, THIS is how you play metal guitar!! I bet Hetfield's sitting at home listening to this and thinking "Well, time to go back to drinking." And Hammett's sitting at home, sh***ing his pants, thinking "Why in the HELL did I say I want to play solos again?" And Bob Newhart...er, I mean Lars is sitting there with his fingers in his ears saying "Nyah nyah nayh, I can't hear it, we're so much better, we're METALLICA! Nope, can't hear a thing. We're better..." And finally Rob Trujillo's sitting there thinking "Thank God I got $1 million up front, cuz our album's not gonna sell at ALL." Hail Dave.
    SpeedCacophony
    hell yeah i have just heard some of the new stuff, man that stuff is the best! i am definately getting their new album!
    SpeedCacophony
    as a 'peace sells'/'rust in peace' era fan would anybody recommend this album,as i am dying to see if megadeth have returned to form as i feel they are way too commercial nowdays and could use some good old speed back into their music. i know that drover is a kickass lead player and mustaine will forever rule but i was wondering if this has the magic of their old albums?
    veric
    good album overall... but isn't it a bit of a copout to re-record your own song?
    Pr0az
    Honestly i didn't care too much for the album....seemed so short and kind of boring. But thats my opinion.
    operation ktulu
    you've got a point, people can be huge hypocrites, i think part of it is that they read shit in magazines, and they believe that because they are too impressionable and/or stupid to have their own opinions.
    not_dead_enough
    the5thhorseman wrote: Gakusey wrote: Is it worth buying? I don't trust bands that change their lineups completely for every album. There's no integrity. I only "trust" Marty Friedman's Megadeth, now that bands rawked!!! The fact that you said, "rawked" makes your opinion irrelevant. Go listen to some Emo. Besides, Marty Friedman's Megadeth...what the hell is that??? Megadeth = Dave Mustaine, it always has.
    Yeah I agree, people go on about how much Megadeth was only good woth Marty, yet people criticize most of Megadeth's mid-late 90s output; that is the material that Marty had the biggest part in. Don't get me wrong, I love ALL Megadeth albums (yes even Risk) but it seems a bit dichotomous when you people cry for Marty back yet criticize his contribution to Megadeth's discography. Any good player can play an already-written song; what's important is what a member brings to the songwriting process (admittedly never a lot in the case of Megadeth). And one thing I really gotta ask about, why's everybody going on about TSHF like its suddenly such a bad album? You're all saying how UA is so much better as if TSHF was a disappointment or something. Yes UA is better, but TSHF is still awesome. When TSHF came out you were all saying "yeah this is great, it's what St Anger should have been, much better than TWNAH" etc. Now UA is out suddenly THIS ALBUM (not TSHF) is the 'return-to-form'. It begs the question, when the next Megadeth album comes out in 2/3 years (and if this great trend of megadeth albums continues) what will you all say about UA then?
    Princessofdarkn
    lmao, that made me laugh, and the5thhorseman is correct. I think Megadeth and Metallica were even in the late 80's early 90's, and when I say even I mean music wise, not popularity.
    the5thhorseman
    Fly-swatter
    MEGADETH OWNS METALLICA!!!!
    ok....megadeth are superb but jesus man... they're not even in the same league as the old metallica stuff..