United Abominations review by Megadeth

• Released: May 15, 2007
Megadeth: United Abominations

When I first heard this band in 03 my mind was blown. Their sound all around is amazing, one of the best With Mustaine singing and on guitar it made me feel like I didn't know metal at all. So when I heard that they were coming out with a new album in 06, I was freaking out. And when I heard it I was sure I flashed back to that day when I heard them for the first time, with amazing lyrics, amazing guitars, amazing bass, amazing drums, amazing solos, amazing everything. I'm comvinced that this band pisses excellence.

What more is there to say besides Dave Mustaine? He's a lyrical god. With songs in the past like 99 Ways To Die, Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Peace Sells, and others; I was blown away when hearing the lyrics. His vocals are just amazing and agressive. His lyrics seem to revolve around political reasons though.

Well lets just say all their albums were better than Risk, and in my opinion were far better than almost all of Metallica's albums. The most impressive songs from this album are Blessed Are The Dead, Washington Is Next, Sleepwalker, and Gears Of War. I love the hole album it's amazing far better than The World Needs A Hero and the System Has Failed. If I lost it or someone stole it I would deffinatly buy another copy, hell, I'd buy a few spairs.

LD_Luke D
    the system has failed was good, but megadeth is back to what always worked for them, and it was a good decision. mehadeth vs metallica, whoever was better in the 80's and early 90's can be disputed, the song st. anger was good, and most of metallica's new albums have seemed like desperate attempts at conforming to alternative rock. megadeth cuts through with the same sound that they always had, but with great songs, and great albums. if you insist on comparing the two, megadeth is doing better now, but if metallica makes a comeback like megadeth made, it might be a close battle.
    guitarhead93
    awww... poor kid... someone messed with his precious metallica... aw...
    Metal Head 101
    Princessofdarkn wrote: DenHond wrote: ...a good album, but i hate the new line up, I'm a die hard Megadeth fan, but I hate the new guitarist Drover looks to gay, his guitars are like a Dean version of a Les Pauls and a Dean stratocaster (a KE or a V would be more fitting)... I want Marty, David and Nick back... Ain't gonna happen. Marty left on his own, he's not a metal guy. Dave left because he wanted more money and his lawsuit failed. Nick got fired because he lied about cancer and being beat up in France. The lineup was amazing for RIP and CTE. People make me sick, you don't like other members because you want the old members back. Dave made good albums without them, and will continue to make good albums without him. Why not like Drover for his guitar work and NOT how he looks? You not going to like a guitarist because you don't like the way he dresses and don't like the shape of his guitar? That must be the most idiotic reason to not like a guitarist. As for the album, it's good. I wanted something a tad bit faster. Especially the drums, but it is a good comeback. I still say Dave should've combined TSHF and US. United Abomination. . . The System Has Failed would rock as a title, but still a good ****ing album! \m/
    The biggest issue with the youthanaisa group splitting is cause Dave came down with major wrist problems
    Metal Head 101
    This album i found was heavy, fast and some awesome licks. The thing i like about megadeth is that Dave came out of metallica and kept on rocking and deth's new music compared to metallica is so much more up beat
    Metal Head 101
    I don't blame you for wanting these guys back, they kicked butt
    jiggy low-ballz
    As a whole peice, probably my favorite Megadeth album. "Gears of War" is the best metal song to come out in I don't even know how long. I like all of Megadeth's other albums but this may be my favorite, close to Peace Sells anyway.
    arcodelalba
    also tout le monde is in a regular tunning now. in youthanasia it's half step down, wich turn the song more obscure... i like more the new version, but it's just my opinion...
    guitarfreak222
    guitarfreak222 wrote: stondagain wrote: Just picked it up...and to the ears of this 38-year-old Deth fan, it ****ing kills. I'll admit, from song to song some of the riffs kind of blend together, but what the hell! Hey Godsmack, THIS is how you play metal guitar!! I bet Hetfield's sitting at home listening to this and thinking "Well, time to go back to drinking." And Hammett's sitting at home, sh***ing his pants, thinking "Why in the HELL did I say I want to play solos again?" And Bob Newhart...er, I mean Lars is sitting there with his fingers in his ears saying "Nyah nyah nayh, I can't hear it, we're so much better, we're METALLICA! Nope, can't hear a thing. We're better..." And finally Rob Trujillo's sitting there thinking "Thank God I got $1 million up front, cuz our album's not gonna sell at ALL." Hail Dave. oh my god, 1: james hetfield gave up drinking 2: kirk is a awesome guitar player, he hasnt played much solos is becouse they didnt fit into the songs 3:lars actually respects dave, they had an interview with lars and dave and lars was saying how sorry he was for kicking him out of the band and ur comment about robert is just down rite ****ed. go post ur worthless comments somewhere else or you can just shove it up ur ass! awww... poor kid... someone messed with his precious metallica... aw... yeah and u beta believe it!!! lol
    guitarfreak222
    The*Reaper
    LynchMobster wrote: really great album. The japan version has a cover of Zep's "Out on the Tiles." Since i dont live in japan, i had to hunt that down, and its pretty good. Theres also 3 b-sides around, and i found one being "Black Swan". Tat song is great. Im still trying to find the other 2 "The Bodies Left Behind" and "Special Live Track"
    A cover of Led Zeppelin by Megadeth, that's kick ass. They should've scrapped A Tout Le Monde and stuck the cover on the regular version, since Out On The Tiles is much better than A Tout Le Monde.
    git-airman
    dudes i finally found the album it was like the holy grail of megadeth, the only stuff i had previously herd was on the home site, but honestly this is the best album i have ever heard! its like guns n roses' album appetite for destruction, not the sound or anything but it is a major epic.
    wildchild6660
    But its true that there is no track that really jumps out at you. I've listened to the album twice over and I can't remember what a single song sounds like.
    git-airman
    dude never walk alone s amazing!!! his voice has broken finally hahahahahaha.
    wildchild6660
    Reager wrote: Ok, now this comes from a very hard critic. And a diehard Megadeth fan who acually owns the entire catalog (save the greatest hits stuff and Still Alive) And several bootlegs. Honestly musicially speaking its some of their most solid work in years. Maybe going all the way back to Countdown. The Drovers have some mighty heft shows to fill and thats going to the both of them. Lets be honest Gar, Nick, and Jimmy were all very good drummers. As for Marty, Chris, Al, and even Jeff...well hats off to Glenn for being able to even hold up with them. Let alone reproduce it fairly accurately. Drover seems to have a very Marty-ish guitar style on this album. IMO opinion sort of Marty and Petrucci slapped together with his random speed runs. All and all Drover put out a solid effort on this album. Not up to Rust in Peace levels...but nothing ever will be that one of the best metal guitar albums of all time. The drums are very solid, lot of double bass work, good transition runs. All and all a solid out, same goes for the bass on that album. Hate the line up or not, they are tight, on the same page. And kick ass, which makes imo the tightest sound since the RIP lineup. Dave's vocals are also pretty good on it. Keeping up with his new cleaner smoother vocal style we first heard on The System has Failed. Though I miss the old crazy screaming madman from before...he's still a good frontman. But I do have a couple complaints. Though this album is very solid from start to finish there is no one song that really stands out and screams friggin awesome. I was hopeing for Dave to pump out another Blackmail type track that just made you go...whoa that kicks ass. Saddly there isnt one of those tracks on this album. But its still very solid, no songs I skip over...unlike TSHF that had several songs on it I didnt care for. My second and only real complaint is the lyrics. The album is basically a list of songs about Iraq. And though Dave has always done anti-political stuff. It seems he was going to a really preachy level on this album with his vocals. And as the album progresses you start to loose interest in what he has to say fast. But the idea to toss A Tout Le Monde in at the end breaks the mold so that helps a lot. All and All 8 out of 10. Solid outting, better than The System has Failed. But lack luster lyrics keep me from rating it any higher. But it does show that Dave can still run with the best of them in the Metal Scene. And its WAY better than anything Metallica has done in recent years. And tops the new Slayer album by leaps and bounds. In closing, go friggin Megadeth!
    Dude, Why didn't you just write a frikin review?
    ironmadman87
    this album is really good, love the riff on "blessed are the dead" throwback maiden style
    wildchild6660
    Yeah marty was the best.